Historical Evidence For Dasam Granth

Adi Guru Granth Sahib and Dasam Guru Granth Sahib are placed side by side because they are viewed traditionally as being brothers, as the link explains.

Two of the Takhts, Patna Sahib and Hazur Sahib carry on this tradition, whereas the Takhts that are controlled by the British-created SGPC have stopped doing prakash of Dasam Guru Granth Sahib.

Nihung Singhs who have a lineage that goes back to the times of the Guru's also have carried on this tradition. Damdami Taksal also practices this tradition.

Oh but I'm still confused. We consider Guru Granth Sahib Ji as our Guru. Im not against the Dasam Granth because I have not read it but why are they given the same importance even after it is said that Sabh Sikho Ko Hukam Hai Guru Maneyo Granth? Just out of curiousity.

And are we allowed to put the word "Guru" next to the Dasam Granth?

Wjkk Wjkf

hkaurP phenjeo, this has been discussed many times before on Sikhsangat. There is no question of doubting the Guruship here - Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj's Bani is brahm-gyaan, the Shabad Guru. There is absolutely no two ways about it. Sri Dasam Granth ji is a revered scripture of the Sikhs too, although in terms of spirituality it is not given the same status as that given to our Guruji Maharaj. Nevertheless, it is the second most imortant Granth Ji of the Sikhs. Old maryada is still followed at certain places, of doing parallel parkash of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji, although it is not done on the same physical level of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj, which indicates their ultimate superiority.

Im sure you will be able to find much more info if you use the 'search' function.

PS: Jvala Singh Ji, its a well written article! Many Thanks!

Gurfateh!

Yes Pjs veerjee I did use the search function and I did find a some threads. But one of my questions still remains, why the aarti in the picture?

And yeah I agree the Article was very well written.

Thanks.

Aarti is a prayer that is recited by most if not all groups of Sikhs. Here is a link by Bhai Jarnail Singh of Damdami Taksal reciting aarti.

Aarti is usually recited after at the Bhog of an Akhand Paat. Nihung, Nirmala, Taksal, Nanaksar, Hazuri Sikhs, Sikhs at Patna Sahib and other groups include deevay [candles] and dhoop [incense] in their Aarti as per Darbar (court) Marayda.

I will be posting more quotes from historical granths from the 1700s and 1800s which all mention the writings of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Yes Pjs veerjee I did use the search function and I did find a some threads. But one of my questions still remains, why the aarti in the picture?

And yeah I agree the Article was very well written.

Thanks.

Aarti is a prayer that is recited by most if not all groups of Sikhs. Here is a link by Bhai Jarnail Singh of Damdami Taksal reciting aarti.

Aarti is usually recited after at the Bhog of an Akhand Paat. Nihung, Nirmala, Taksal, Nanaksar, Hazuri Sikhs, Sikhs at Patna Sahib and other groups include deevay [candles] and dhoop [incense] in their Aarti as per Darbar (court) Marayda.

Yes I knew what the Aarti was Veerjee but thanks for the reply. But my question was about the deevay and dhoop. I've never really seen that before and I thought it was idol worshipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6SQ_XLfVes

Here is a video from an old movie but immediatly after seeing this I thought this was against principles. But I guess not since some Sikh Groups do it.

Some groups are in support of performing Aarti in that way, like Nihung Singhs, Nirmala's, Udasi's, Takht Hazoor Sahib, Takht Patna Sahib, Nanaksar etc

If you read writings from 1700s-1800s you will see that practise of keeping a deeva [candle] and dhoop [incense] during worship of Guru Granth Sahib was common practise (reference, Bansavalinama and Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth). Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth explicitly talks about this practice when discussing how Guru Arjan Dev Ji installed the Adi Granth at Sri Harimandar Sahib.

The idea behind it is that, aspects like candles (deevay), incense (dhoop), fan (chaur) and bowing down (matha tek) all are Darbar (courtly) Marayda (conduct) for a King. Since Guru Granth Sahib has been status of the True King (Sache Patshah) then these were practises to show upmost love and respect for Sache Patshah.