Opening A Youth Gym

wjkk wjkf.

I want to make a gym in birmingham, when i grow up (lol that sounds childish).

What licence would i need? (if i need 1)

what equipment should i have?

who should i employ? (do i need to employ any1)?

it will be under 16s is free. monthly payment for 17 and +.

all profit will go to charity (seva)

what else would we need/ what would you reccomend?

wjkk wjkf

Thats not childish! Thats a fantastic business idea and I am a businessman aged 51 and I can tell you that this idea is connected to the shape of things to come in UK, economically, and especially in the area of future urban physical well being.

You have asked a few questions as to how to do it . Well, let me reply to all those questions in a nutshell. You need to start taking up subjects like business and accounting, as well as sports science at Gcse and A levels from now as well as other certificates in '' trainers trainer'' course in outdoor sports like rock climbing, kayaking and mountain climbing other than gymnastics to introduce you the the umbrella holding all these interrelated things together . Do that, then choose a university where you do a degree( till Masters if you can), in sports science and also take option modules in business , marketing and accounting, as well as options in the legal and regulatory aspects of sports business. Make sure you are taking up subjects like web design and comp networking right now too.

This is the launching pad you need before you can even dream of owning a gym. Once you have done that come back here in 3 or 4 years with a Masters in sports science and I can guide you very systematically as to how to raise the finance you need to buy, set up, market and operate a gym and fill in the gaps you may need in your knowledge about these things so u can start rightaway after your Masters.

Thats not childish! Thats a fantastic business idea and I am a businessman aged 51 and I can tell you that this idea is connected to the shape of things to come in UK, economically, and especially in the area of future urban physical well being.

You have asked a few questions as to how to do it . Well, let me reply to all those questions in a nutshell. You need to start taking up subjects like business and accounting, as well as sports science at Gcse and A levels from now as well as other certificates in '' trainers trainer'' course in outdoor sports like rock climbing, kayaking and mountain climbing other than gymnastics to introduce you the the umbrella holding all these interrelated things together . Do that, then choose a university where you do a degree( till Masters if you can), in sports science and also take option modules in business , marketing and accounting, as well as options in the legal and regulatory aspects of sports business. Make sure you are taking up subjects like web design and comp networking right now too.

This is the launching pad you need before you can even dream of owning a gym. Once you have done that come back here in 3 or 4 years with a Masters in sports science and I can guide you very systematically as to how to raise the finance you need to buy, set up, market and operate a gym and fill in the gaps you may need in your knowledge about these things so u can start rightaway after your Masters.

Wait up... I meant, making it a seva, not a primary job. My primary job I hope is media. I want to make a gym, for the Sikh Youth. Not a primary job :)

It will be EXPENSIVE. Good gym equipment is expensive, but if you can plan it out with a good business perspective it would be a good idea.

Good luck, try looking around body building/gym forums. Good start there, oh and start going to the gym if you want to learn more about what equipment you need. As you advance you learn you slowly start needing more specific equipment.

Whether or not it is sewa , the points I have mentioned are very relevant and important especially if you are in the UK unless you are talking about a tiny private gym for your mates in your backyard. This is because activities like this have many regulatory and legal implications when run at a larger, more visible level, involving people beyond your few mates and family, whether at a charitable or corporate level, especially as they seem to involve a wider community of people that may or may not be related to you beyond your personal extended family by blood ties, from what you have implied, from a point of law and regulation. Sorry if all of this seems technical but we are talking about a 1st world country i.e UK where no one can just get up and do whatever they like in terms of activities that have implications in more ways than you can imagine that involve space and human life. Your higher education as you go through university through most present day courses will slowly make you realise the worth of what I am stating.

Further to that, to do even sewa one needs to be equipped. If i cannot type, I couldnt possibly be sitting at my computer trying to help you out on here. If I do not know how to make dall , i cannot be in charge of dall making operations in a gurudwara. Sewa requires knowledge. Running a gym charitably is a beautiful sewa and I wish I was rich enough to do that myself but it involves many costs that sports science will teach you in depth. Likewise, it involves an indepth knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, and an indepth knowledge of how to operate and instruct in the use of specific equipment targeted at various parts of the human body with a range of aims in mind. It involves an understanding of all the complex regulatory requirements in public safety at your venue, the legal framework behind all of this, as well as an understanding of relevant health and safety issues. The list goes on, and no city council in UK is ever going to entertain any request from you unless you show proof of academic knowledge of this backed by relevant qualifications. That is the bare minimum I have just stated and it gets even more complex but this you will pick up at uni.

Hence you have 3 choices right before you. Either be some wealthy guy doing other things in life, with a huge stash of unneeded cash so you can employ someone to organise this entire operation on your behalf for which you will need be prepared to cost some high salaries funded by you, as it involves management level personnel as well as specifically trained professional gym instructors that are compulsory in a public gym. The drawback in this is, if you know nuts about the academia behind this operation, you will be eternally reliant on people totally managing and running things on your behalf , as it an activity top on the public safety agenda of the goverment. The second choice is to study and do what you wana do in life, but on the side or part time, get all the qualifications i have mentioned and more, so you can take personal responsibility and be the person that gets granted the permission, as well as understand easily whats happening at your venue, and manage it as an independently operated operation overseen by you with due diligence. The third is to make this your main thing in life, do exactly what I have said, get it running and make it a sewa that does involve a small cost on the users part so your personal costs in life can be funded.

I hope my advice throws more light

and to add to what i just said earlier, I really do love you as my brother and am absolutely proud of who you are and do not mistake me as someone trying to put you off. i think its a great idea but its implementation will require a few skills, knowledge, and experience that you will need to acquire academically, physically and otherwide ok. thats all I am trying to make you understand though I have tried to elaborate and highlight what some of these are for your benefit to encourage you to start thinking along those lines and put a plan in action involving short and long term goals to achieve this . I will be more than proud of you if i see all this materialise systematically within the next few years of your life step by step in birmingham a city i strangely and somehow do like hehe as some absolutely beautiful people in my life live there to whom i owe more than you could ever imagine. you have youth, vigour, chardikela and gurujee on your side . all you need is to channel that through some of the ways i mentioned to realise your dreams which very well may be from Gurujee as far as i can smell so far. you are one great guy on this forum which i have observed capable of suddenly exciting and inspiring an older person like me through some of the stuff i have seen you write here according to your age etc. so go ahead and get this project started right from now by taking little steps most of which I have mentioned to make it easier 4 u. all of that was written because i have quite a lot of Guru given experience and knowledge in this field and you are one gurmukh guy and brother i could die for out of my love for you .

luv u always my bro . Gurfateh

Guest shastr

the first thing your gonna have to do is grow up and have lots of money. so until you have both of those things accomplished, just sit back and relax singh saab ji smile.gif

Lil Singh,

Basically to be a successfull businessman you don't even need 1 GCSE. That's a fact 100%.

Right you wanna open a gym.

OK. Basic things are. Apart from capital i.e. money to invest.

Firstly you need to rent some premises. Nothing fancy just a unit. Make sure it's half decent and CLEAN.

A little reception area where members sign / swipe in.

You will need a locker room / changing facilities and showers / toilet.

The majority of your floor space will be where people will train. You need to think what equipment you want. Is it going to be more cardio or free weights.

You don't really need an instructor unless you are going to offer personal training one to one. Most equipment is self explanatory to use, just give new members a quick induction on how to use them.

You don't need a licence.

MOST important thing is public liability insurance, as well as other insurance such as buildings etc.

Thats just a basic input from me PM me i can give you detailed info on how to set up a business. Trust me school drop outs can become millionaires you don't need degrees'. Don't get me wrong education is important I have a Masters, but it's not the end all and be all.

Youngsters like you can apply for business loans from the Prince's trust. Contact your local office. They will help you with a business plan and funding. There's also Business link. Prince's Trust loan intrest is like nothing, and they offer very good advice for youngsters who want to open new businesses.

Singh,

If you are doing this as seva, does your local gurdwara not have a gym? If not propose this idea to the parbandhak committe and the sangat. Surely all would be happy to have such a facility in the gurdwara if their is not already one. I know it depends on space but with Brum having a large Sikh community the Gurdware must surely have space to accomodate. I am surprised a gym is not already their.