Dodgy Leaflets At The Gurdwara

Guest fordcapri

Guest fordcapri

Promoting dhol classes and culture events (not taking place at the Gurdwara but at West Bromwich Albion FC)

Is anyone checking what leaflets are available?? Someone has just come in a and dumped about 50 off leaflets, promoting something which has nothing to do with Sikhi.

I have no problem with someone promoting their dhol classes but not in the Gurdwara.

Where the quality control has no from the committee scene this.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh paaji/penji its the same everywhere..

bristol sri guru singh sabha gurdwara.. there have been threading whatever leaflets and also anti dasam bani parchar. There have been pothis disrespected left uncared on the maazine tables and whatever when daas took it to the committe they gave faint excuses and mocked me but then when with maharajs kirpa it was told to the sangat on the stage even though daas was kicked off stage for saying it..never has any beadbi or rubbish been left around anywhere :) i think its a good result hahaaa. speak to the committee..if they dont tak eyou seriously speak to sangat or get other singh singhanis tooo maharaj kirpa karan

Guest harminderkaur

I don't see the issue off promoting dhol classes or culture events, I mean whats the harm? I think anything that brings us together without doing harm is fine. If they wre promoting drinks and smoking and adult clubs, I would worry.

Guest fordcapri

I don't see the issue off promoting dhol classes or culture events, I mean whats the harm? I think anything that brings us together without doing harm is fine. If they wre promoting drinks and smoking and adult clubs, I would worry.

I think you are naive and on the simple side.

Dhol has a sub culture, dhol is played at clubs and gig where’s booze cigarettes, drugs, and venues where’s Sikh girls are targeted by Muslims.

You say “it bring people together” but so does sports and self defence classes and that more positive.

Yeh promote your dhol classes but not in the Gurdwara, not the place.

What do you want to promote next eh?? Miss Poojas next gig!!!

Dhol has a sub culture, dhol is played at clubs and gig where’s booze cigarettes, drugs, and venues where’s Sikh girls are targeted by Muslims.

So are musical notes. So are tablas and various musical instruments. What is your point?

You say “it bring people together” but so does sports and self defence classes and that more positive.

So does religion, but religion can be easily used as a propaganda tool, just like extremist Muslims are doing (or extremists of any religion of the world, for that matter). My point is that one should not mistake tools with intentions. Guns do not murder people, they are inanimate objects, yet they can be used by people to commit crimes. Nagara and tabla are used in gurdwaras, but they can be used in any sort of music.

Well, this is the only sensible thing you have written. If you are coming from the point that gurdwaras should not promote cultural events, then this can be a valid argument to debate. Given the role of gurdwaras outside the Punjab, it would think most of the people would accept that they play a significant role in the Sikhi society not limited to religious aspects. I say this based on my experience with the gurdwaras. Not that there are no difference of opinions.

On a larger note, I think your original post came out as saying that dhol and related cultural things (bhangra, giddah, etc.) have no place in Sikhi. Is this correct? Perhaps I am mistaken. And I think that is what harminderkaur ji was referring to.

Guest harminderkaur

I live in a community where there aren't many sikhs and we just meet onces a week at the Gurudwara Sahib. I love it when they plan things to bring the sangat together inside and outside the Gurudwara Sahib because it brings us closer. For example last week we had a picnic for the students of the punjabi school and it was planned at the Gurudwara but paid for by the parents. You know what the outcome was? The kids had a great time and want to do it again. The boys want to start a kabadi club, we are having a sports competition next week for all sorts of sports for the kids. Some of the girls thought it would be great to start learning Kirtan as a group after spending the day together.

Not all activities lead to doing stupid things.

oh and we are having our first local Sikh camp in August. Which is a result of friendships we made outside of the Gurudwara Sahib.

Guest harminderkaur

Dhol has a sub culture, dhol is played at clubs and gig where's booze cigarettes, drugs, and venues where's Sikh girls are targeted by Muslims.

You say "it bring people together" but so does sports and self defence classes and that more positive.

What do you want to promote next eh?? Miss Poojas next gig!!!

I wouldn't know the stuff you are talking about because I have never stepped into a club and I have a different view of muslims. I guess it all depends where you live. (hindus, muslims, chirstians attend our gurudwara sahib and do so respectfully) Or I am just naive, that is fine with me too.

It might be different where you live but where I live the Gurudwara Sahib is the only place Indians see each other. That might be way I don't mind this things like this as long as they aren't promoting anti-sikh stuff. Maybe because we aren't all uptight we don't have major issues like drinking in the gurudwra sahib (like uk party halls), have youth constantly getting in trouble and when we do have problems we solve them peacfully without fighting.

We don't promote Miss. Poojas next gig because we barely get singers here or other such events. But I am proud to say that when we do have them, we have them fairly controlled and don't have much of drinking problem at our events or fights.

lmao. this is nothing compared what happen at guru nanak gurdwara smethwick...

who remembers the brit asia superstar award thingy, where u had 2 vote/fone 4 ur fav singer.

the leaftlets for 1 guy, was being handed out outside haha, :p

told the man to go away, he didnt. grab the leaftlets, and binned them :)