Sikh studies

My dear Sikh brothers and sister,

I am posting this message here to get not only to get support or help from the Sangat, but also to discuss the state of Sikh studies at various universities throughout world.

If my sole purpose was to get help/info...i could have posted this message in the 'HELP-SUPPORT' forum, but i also want to discuss...so i thought this forum is better.

I would like to know: where can a person study Sikhism or Punjabi (linguistics), which institue/university offers the best environment for these fields?

I know that there are mainly three universities in Punjab, where there are separate Departments for Sikhism/Punjabi studies, namely Punjabi Uni. Patiala, Punjab Uni. Chandigarh, Guru Nanak Dev Uni. Amritsar. There are various also Khalsa Colleges, where students can get degrees on Sikhism.

Outside Punjab;

In 1997 the World Sikh University was established, where students of Sikhism can get a PhD degree. Khalsa College London has been there since 1985. But i don't know about the reputation of these research institutes.

In North America, there are perhaps about ten Sikh Chairs/Sikh studies institues established in the past years. Uni. of Santa Barbara has one, BC, Toronto, Columbia, etc. BUT these institutes are generally baised, as is shown in this article: http://www.sikhspectrum.com/092002/chairs.htm

Therefore, we may leave this option.

I like to ask, does anyone amongs the Sangat have any views about where any academic study of Sikhism/Punjab should be done...which of these universities is the best in this field?

I

know that Taksal and various other Panthic orgs do educate students, but that is a little different matter. I know a person can get Santiya etc. and learn a great deal, but the question here is about academic studies. (i don't mean that the teachings given at Taksal are not good...but that is a traditional seminary, and are for a little different purpose)

Discussion part: Do you feel that not enough reseach is done on Sikhism? And the "scholars" engaged in this field are not serving their purpose?

Help will be appreciated, personally i have no problems going back to Punjab if that is what takes to study Sikhism/Punjabi. Once i have finished my studies here...that will take some years.

I don't see a need in studying just Sikhi, where you already have enough knowledge about, all depends if you want to study Sikh history in depth, and Sikh culture, with its famous artifacts, their purpose in history, other texts, etc. then taking a uni/college course would be good.

If you want to learn shudh gurbani, (proper pronunciation) along with understanding it in depth, then Damdami Taksal (mehta) would be the best route.

My two cents.

Thanks for replying!

Khalsa Ji,

I do have specific courses that i want to study, it is not just Sikhism. But i don't know if that is important for this post.

And yes, i know of Damdami Taksal, which is perhaps the best in that field.

Sikh Missionary :wub: