How To Know The Purpose Of One'S Life?

anush

Could anyone tell me as to how to find the purpose of one's life? Should we rely on astrology?

Many people consider astrology as supernatural. So what then?

Many pupils take the profession of their parents. And its easy for them to excel in them too since they acquire necessary skills, guidance and grooming from small age in that profession from their parents. Then is it so that they were destined to do that thing which they inherited from their parents. How can a person decide which thing is good for them or not. Some people are good in one thing whereas some are good in others. Some are good in everything. But its not necessary that the you have knowledge that you have talent in a specific thing. Many people compromise on their talents(because of various reasons like lack of finance to pursue it) and end up doing jobs which is obviously boring to them since they have compromised with their interest its another thing that doesn't suit their aptitude.(you may or may not know what you are good in)

We all know that money is necessary then why not earn in as well enjoy the process of earning?

Have we ever thought what would be if Sachin or Shahrukh Khan became something else say Tennis player and Hockey player(both had aptitude in these also)? Did they listened to any inner voice which guided them. If its so then why we don't have any such.

Many People reach their mid 40s and then discover, "oh gosh, I had aptitude in this thing. Should have gone for it earlier."

But then what purpose will be served by thinking about it. Now you cannot turn the clock back. The time which has been lost has lost.

What I mean is that you can experiment a lot in life and come to conclusion that you have interest in a specific thing but by the time you come to this conclusion you would have lost valuable and precious time in experimenting.

How to avoid this loss of time beforehand?

With Warm Regards,

wave.gifthumb.gif

P.S. (I hope this is the suitable place to post this thread. Pls forgive me if its otherwise. This is just my first thread. I'm a newbie.)

Gurbani says that the aim of the human life is to escape "hau vich aiya hau vich gaya". We are a soul , not a physical body. As long as we consider ourselves to be the body we will endure many births and deaths and the subsequent torments of life.

Gurbani sobers us up from this intoxication.

It is absolutely essential to read/listen to Gurbani and then follow the teachings contained therein.

Tho I am not qualified to say anything on this. I strongly suggest to you to listen to this talk by BHai Balpreet Singh(Tapoban) at Khalsa Camp UK 2005 on the "Purpose of Life". I seriously think its the ideal thing for you to listen to.Here you go:

:)

The Purpose of Life as per Gurmat.

it from here:

http://www.ikatha.com/index.php?q=f&f=%2FEnglish_Katha%2FKhalsa_Camp_2005

I was affected deeply by it when I heard it the 1st time long time ago. So, that's the reason I am recommending it for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the twelve signs are the signs of astrology, astrologers were around during the gurus times and this is the state of someone whos mind is not attached to the signs of astrology.

duAwdis mudRw mnu AauDUqw ]

The Twelfth Day: One whose mind is not attached to the twelve signs,

du-aadas mudraa man a-uDhootaa.

Aihinis jwgih kbih n sUqw ]

remains awake day and night, and never sleeps.

ahinis jaageh kabeh na sootaa.

jwgqu jwig rhY ilv lwie ]

He remains awake and aware, lovingly centered on the Lord.

jaagat jaag rahai liv laa-ay.

gur prcY iqsu kwlu n Kwie ]

With faith in the Guru, he is not consumed by death.

gur parchai tis kaal na khaa-ay.

AqIq Bey mwry bYrweI ]

Those who become detached, and conquer the five enemies

ateet bha-ay maaray bairaa-ee.

pRxviq nwnk qh ilv lweI ]15]

- prays Nanak, they are lovingly absorbed in the Lord. ||15||

paranvat naanak tah liv laa-ee. ||15||

duAwdsI dieAw dwnu kir jwxY ]

The Twelfth Day: Know, and practice, compassion and charity.

du-aadasee da-i-aa daan kar jaanai.

bwhir jwqo BIqir AwxY ]

Bring your out-going mind back home.

baahar jaato bheetar aanai.

brqI brq rhY inhkwm ]

Observe the fast of remaining free of desire.

bartee barat rahai nihkaam.

Ajpw jwpu jpY muiK nwm ]

Chant the unchanted Chant of the Naam with your mouth.

ajpaa jaap japai mukh naam.

qIin Bvx mih eyko jwxY ]

Know that the One Lord is contained in the three worlds.

teen bhavan meh ayko jaanai.

siB suic sMjm swcu pCwxY ]16]

Purity and self-discipline are all contained in knowing the Truth. ||16||

sabh such sanjam saach pachhaanai. ||16||

• 1 month later...
Guest SarabjeetSingh

YES , Friend . Primal Purpose of human life is to meet our Lord God from whom we all have originated !

But , we cannot have God consciousness without the guidance of a true Guru (satguru) . We Sikhs believe in Guru Granth Sahib as the guru of entire world , not just for the Sikhs .

So , if you really want that you may not waste this life and not regret in end , then only meditate on name of God and guru says you will not regret in the end . Death shall not touch you .

ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ

भई परापति मानुख देहुरीआ ॥

Bẖa▫ī parāpaṯ mānukẖ ḏehurī▫ā.

You have been blessed with this human body.

ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ

गोबिंद मिलण की इह तेरी बरीआ ॥

Gobinḏ milaṇ kī ih ṯerī barī▫ā.

This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe.

ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਕਾਮ

अवरि काज तेरै कितै न काम ॥

Avar kāj ṯerai kiṯai na kām.

Other efforts are of no use to you.

ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥

मिलु साधसंगति भजु केवल नाम ॥१॥

Mil sāḏẖsangaṯ bẖaj keval nām. ||1||

Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, vibrate and meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=378&L=1&id=17357

Stay with the Question

""What is the purpose of my life?" This very question enlivens the human values in our system, in our self. But don't be in a hurry to find out an answer to this question. Be with the question. The question itself is like a tool by which you can become more deep within yourself. "

-Sri Sri Ravishankar