Battle For Barking

dalsingh101

This is an excellent documentary. I'm no fan of New Labour but I love the way Singh 'uncle jis' played a part in sending a firm message to the BNP in East London (as part of Margeret Hodge's campaign team). You can also see how tensions heat up on the street level with the very presence of these white supremacist scum.

Hopefully it will open the eyes of certain shameful, sycophantic Sikhs who cosy up to these types of neo-nazis in their terror of Muslims (you know who you are!)

Although I wish you could all watch this (especially American and Australian brothers who frequently seem to be on the receiving end these days), I am sorry to say it is limited to Britain. Its only available for a limited period guys so enjoy and learn while you can!

Laura Fairrie's film records an historic moment in British politics through the microcosm of one east London constituency. Made over the course of a year, the film follows two very different political opponents as they battle towards the 2010 General Election.

Long-standing Labour MP Margaret Hodge is a stalwart of the New Labour establishment. Running against her is Nick Griffin, the British National Party leader. Griffin is a controversial figure, with a conviction for inciting racial hatred, who nonetheless commands considerable support.

As it chronicles the rise and fall of the far-right BNP, it gives a fascinating insight into the inner workings of the 'BNP family' and the working class disillusionment with the Labour party that fuelled the BNP campaign, offering an honest, moving and humorous portrait of a white working class community forced to face the changes brought by new immigrant populations.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-battle-for-barking/4od#3145017

ye watched it !!! nick griffin goes up to 3 sikhs and ask the questions "can i count on ur vote"

and they just walk off

vid is intresting wouldnt of watched it if i seen it advertsed but still a good watch shows stupidity of these racist people

you have a white woman whos says shes sick of imigration when asked where he granddaughters fathers from she replies from south africa

a good watch and a good laugh at these dumb uneducated BNP members and voters

Here is a VERY short promo clip people outside of the UK can watch.

I'll try and keep an eye out for a site that has the film so Sikhs outside of the UK can see this. If anyone else comes across this, please share.

Gotta love that kala at the start put it to em

What I find sad is that you just don't see that type of in your face, courage coming from apnay in the UK anymore. Instead they seem to be generally very meek and lacking confidence?

People should watch this and learn. It was people showing bahadrhi like this a few decades ago that put a stop to National Front activity.

These days you get <banned word filter activated> apnay who support and even join people like the BNP or EDL out of fear.

Never! I do like the way people in East London tell goray where to go, when it's needed. Sikhs in majority areas like West London need to learn to do this instead of appearing like chumcha.

I think if a lot more Sikhs acted like that globally, there would be a lot less attacks and general abuse like there seems to be in the US or Australia right now, for example.

I think if a lot more Sikhs acted like that globally, there would be a lot less attacks and general abuse like there seems to be in the US or Australia right now, for example.

I agree with you in principle, but you know as well as I do about double standards. The people who stand up for themselves (in a vociferous manner) are always the ones who are painted as the troublemakers, the disturbers of the peace, etc., whilst the real culprits who incite this kind of behaviour manage to fade into the background as the baying mobs scream for blood.

Its like the classic issue of "Sant Bhindranwale = Terrorist" which does my head in even to this day. Someone who had the gumption and principles to tackle government sponsored injustice and treachery has been portrayed to the world as a terrorist. We all know how distorted this is, but when the media and people in general make their minds up, its pretty darn hard to change perceptions.

I agree with you in principle, but you know as well as I do about double standards. The people who stand up for themselves (in a vociferous manner) are always the ones who are painted as the troublemakers, the disturbers of the peace, etc., whilst the real culprits who incite this kind of behaviour manage to fade into the background as the baying mobs scream for blood.

Its like the classic issue of "Sant Bhindranwale = Terrorist" which does my head in even to this day. Someone who had the gumption and principles to tackle government sponsored injustice and treachery has been portrayed to the world as a terrorist. We all know how distorted this is, but when the media and people in general make their minds up, its pretty darn hard to change perceptions.

What you are alluding to is the bias and misrepresentation of things by mass media. Further to this is the understanding that embedded within a lot of 'neutral' acting/appearing outlets are indeed a lot of closet racists and neo-fascists.

I think the situation with a high level, heavily politicised movement like the one Sant ji was involved in, is a totally different kettle of fish to day to day street level activity I'm talking about.

By the fact remains that to get peace, often we have to go through a period of strife, sacrifice and facing down violence and intimidation. Reputations are built that way too. People have to essentially make it in the interests of the other party to back the hell down. You could see that beginning to happen in Barking.

And yes, some people will suffer but that is a price that has to be paid. Our brave Sikh ancestors fully recognised this truth.

And yes, some people will suffer but that is a price that has to be paid. Our brave Sikh ancestors fully recognised this truth.

That's very easy to say sitting in-front of a computer in the comfort of our homes (as we all are). The truth is a lot more stark and when such events do befall people, even our day-to-day existence becomes a struggle and one is surrounded by loneliness. But you most likely already know that. I'm just making a point.

The current breed of Sikhs aren't fit to face our ancestors - and I include myself in the current group. Those Sikhs from yesteryear were something else entirely.