What Is The Real Reason For No Garlic In Langar

geo

An aphrodisiac??!? First time I've ever heard of this (although I'm not saying it isn't true).

im not saying i agree with it but some people think so. i personally think not :)

so if garlic is kaam, does that mean it is not allowed anywhere? home cooking included?

that would be religious extremism without doubt :)

im not saying i agree with it but some people think so. i personally think not :)

so if garlic is kaam, does that mean it is not allowed anywhere? home cooking included?

that would be religious extremism without doubt :)

it goes to show how different old beliefs can be when compared to the modern way of thinking - garlic/garlic breath ( although people love the taste ) is thought of as a major turn off.

There is the whole concept of rajas, tamas etc. etc. and the related theory that garlic is something that can 'over-stimulate' a person somehow. Maybe it's related to that?

Personally I put my money on this guy having a hand in it somehow......

count_dracula_christopher_lee.jpg

going back to our ancient history, in the time of the Rikhi Jamdagni, and Raja SahansarBahu, the Raju wished to take the possession of KaamDhenu cow, the wish fulfilling cow from the Rikhi. unable to do so the paapi raja shot 2 arrows at it, one arrow hit the ear and the other hit its hoof. the blood falling on the ground from its ear resulted in tobacco, and the blood from its hoof falling to the ground resulted in garlic. This is where the aversion to tobacco and garlic come from in indian society.

I remember once Sant-Sipahi Jarnail Singh, saying the Hindus say the cow is our mother, yet by smoking they are drinking its blood. Its the same with garlic. My Vidya Guru also told me that garlic was never used in langar before.