Beard

Guest J Singh

Guest J Singh

SSA brothers and sisters

My name is jas singh, im a 20 year old sikh male with a kesh but trimmed beard. Ever since puberty i have trimmed/styled my beard in order to not come across as too 'religious'.

The truth is that i have always been the only singh in any friend circles ive ever had, these include school, college and even right now at uni. Ive now reached a stagnation point within my life where finally i can see the bigger picture of where my friends are going to end up in life and where i want to be. I was blessed to be born to an amritdhari father but my mother however is not as religious as my dad.

Throughout my life i have seen arguments between my parents which start from small insignificant problems but escalate into full blown bust ups regarding my dads 'uber faith' and my mums non existent faith.

These sorts of things throughout my life have kept me questioning if religion really was worth following, my parents relationship has perished over the years, im thinking now that i could be ready to take the next step, but will this alienate my mother from me?

I am not a perfect person which is worth mentioning as i have indulged in tobacco use and drug use in the past, but having conquered this i feel as though i can conquer much more, including becoming closer with my religion im order to restore peace within my household. its not the lack of support thats holding me back but the fear of making situations worse than they already are.

I used to have cut hair and my dad similarly has taken amrit and my mom has not. There have been quite a few disagreements, but both sides have been right and wrong, overall though they agree upon Sikhi. For my mom she loves Sikhi but because of family and the kind of people who surround us in general she feels to need to have to be "modern" My dad is the opposite, he doesn't care and that's how I am now.

To cut a long story short, after I got into Sikhi I created a better relationship with both parents and even though mom was a bit scared that I was getting way too much into it she now respects it 100% and is confident. You just have to keep a low temper and talk logically with your mom, after a while she will change her thinking.

If you see a video you like related to Sikhi sit with them and discuss it with them both while they are both watching TV. This helps bring about discussions about history and various debates and you can talk about it...

As for whether religion is worth following, no it's not if you think of it as a religion. Sikhi is a way of life and I would think of it as the hardest possible because it embodies truth- the hardest route.

<3 my beard wub.gif

wgjkwgjkf - Jas Singh Ji

Thanks for the post, a lot of Sikhs come to this cross point in their lives. The main thing is we need to look at our Guru's for role models. Guru Sri Gobind Singh Ji is our true father. The question you should be asking yourself is 'What kind of son's and daughters are we if we do not represent our father?'

If you want to discuss more then send me a message. I can put you through to some great Singhs who will show you the path towards the Guru.

wgjkwgjkf

All you need is the right Sangat. Pray for it, you'll find it.

As Matheen says, it's all about Sangat. If you take Amrit and then spend your leisure time with people who do not believe you need to take Amrit to get closer to Guru Ji, then it's going to be very difficult.

If you spend your leisure time with the Guru's Amritdharis, then it's going to be easy.:waheguru: