Uk Gurdwara Elections

malkeet

vjkk vjkf

I was wondering if UK sangat are aware of how each uk gurdwara election process is undertaken. How would one form a committee to run in these elections? Whom counts vouts. How does one become a member of their local gurdwara? How often are elections done in UK gurdwaras and how transparent is the process to ensure no fixing/rigging.

vjkk vjkf

vjkk vjkf

I was wondering if UK sangat are aware of how each uk gurdwara election process is undertaken. How would one form a committee to run in these elections? Whom counts vouts. How does one become a member of their local gurdwara? How often are elections done in UK gurdwaras and how transparent is the process to ensure no fixing/rigging.

vjkk vjkf

I dont know for a fact about UK wise as a whole but in my home city there are about 8 if not more Gurdwareh. The gurdwara I do darshan to has never had elections, as the comittee are sevadars, it runs smoothly never no friction, and everything is open to sangat.

I am also a member of another Gurdwara which I am 100% sure is largest in the city, I am not sure how they form a committee or run I think it might just be they have members standing to contest the election. The gurdwara where I occasionally go and I am a member there with a right to vote in the election, I would honestly say it is as secure as voting in general elections or city council / mayor elections. They have sub contracted the election process to an external company, normally nearly all goreh, there are police officers also there. The vote is exactly as you would do in any UK vote, you have to have proof of who you are.

So prior to elections they have a period where anyone who frequents the gurdwara and lives in the city can become a member. You have to bring passport, driver licence and utlity bill as proof of address and photo identity. They will take your photo on web cam and save it on computer. After a while they send your membership card which has your photo name and address, by post to your house. You need to bring your membership card with you on the voting day, if not a photo identity such as passport or drivers license, they then check it on the database and see if you are the person you claim to be.

No one from the parties or there supporters are allowed to speak to the voters about who they are voting for or try and influence them to vote for their party. Once your ID is checked, you go to the specified desk (Its not done surname wise as S for Singh would be massive queue, so its the first letter of your address wise). You get a voting paper exactly similar to national elections go to a booth and vote. You then fold the papers and go to the ballot box which are the same also as national elections.

For a FACT there can be no fixing or rigging as they pay thousands to have a fair voting process. The elections are every few years.