On Loving Your Homeboy

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

On loving your Homeboy even when you don’t feel like you need Him.

Homeboy: the ULTIMATE-Homeboy-Aka-Babba-Jee-aka-Big-Guy-Upstairs-aka Vaheguroo

You know how the last line is repeated by sangat in asa kee vaar? I think that’s pretty tight. It’s like the sangat’s way of saying ‘word up’ to Guruji’s thoughts.

Also, you know how sometimes the love for Guru saahb isn’t always there? I don’t know about you, but I always waver in my love, connection and commitment to Him. It’s kinda like family, or even our real relationships with our friends. We don’t always love ALL of our family ALL the time — but deep down we’d be there in a heartbeat if ever something happened to them.

K, enough with my metaphors.

Point is, well… that’s kinda how our relationship with the big man upstairs should be. This shabad by Guru Angad Dev Jee reminded me so:

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੨ ॥

Salok mėhlā 2.

Shalok, Second Mehl:

ਏਹ ਕਿਨੇਹੀ ਆਸਕੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਲਗੈ ਜਾਇ ॥

Ėh kinehī āskī ḏūjai lagai jā▫e.

What sort of love is this, which clings to duality?

ਨਾਨਕ ਆਸਕੁ ਕਾਂਢੀਐ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਰਹੈ ਸਮਾਇ ॥

Nānak āsak kāʼndẖī▫ai saḏ hī rahai samā▫e.

O Nanak, he alone is called a lover, who remains forever immersed in absorption.

ਚੰਗੈ ਚੰਗਾ ਕਰਿ ਮੰਨੇ ਮੰਦੈ ਮੰਦਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

Cẖangai cẖanga kar manne manḏai manḏā ho▫e.

But one who feels good only when good is done for him, and feels bad when things go badly -

ਆਸਕੁ ਏਹੁ ਨ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿ ਲੇਖੈ ਵਰਤੈ ਸੋਇ ॥੧॥

Āsak ehu na ākẖī▫ai jė lekẖai //ṯai so▫e. ||1||

do not call him a lover. He trades only for his own account. ||1||

My favorite line from this shabad was the second line: “Nanak asak kandhai sad hee rahai samae..” “..he alone is called a lover, who remains forever immersed in absorption…” It reminded me that I need to love, connect & keep Babba jee in my consciousness at all times, “forever immersed” even when I feel like I don’t need a Divine power in my life. It was also a reminder to keep my “accounts” a.k.a friendships, relationships & connections with family — true and genuine. You know, gatta stay away from being matlabee.

Dear self, don’t be so selfish to love Him only when things are good.

With nothing but love,

humbly,

Nanki

http://www.kaurista.com/2011/04/26/on-loving-your-homeboy/

:happy2:

If you read the complete shabad, the last 2 pankti's, it really is a big smack across my face.

mhlw 2 ]

mehalaa 2 ||

Second Mehla:

slwmu jbwbu dovY kry muMFhu GuQw jwie ]

salaam jabaab dhovai karae mu(n)dtahu ghuthhaa jaae ||

One who offers both respectful greetings and rude refusal to his master, has gone wrong from the very beginning.

nwnk dovY kUVIAw Qwie n kweI pwie ]2]

naanak dhovai koorreeaa thhaae n kaaee paae ||2||

O Nanak, both of his actions are false; he obtains no place in the Court of the Lord. ||2||

Both of his actions are false, meaning, even the actions when he paid respect to guru sahib will not count! :ohmy2:

• 2 weeks later...