History Of Doing A Chaleesa

VaheGuru Jee,

I wanted to know whether the Sangath are aware of any history or background of doing a Chaleesa ... Like what is one required to do and not to do ... Any Sanths/MahaPurakhs that went through these and has anyone tried it themselves?

Please post any related information or stories Saadh Sangath Jee ...

VaheGuru Jee Kaa Khalsa

VaheGuru Jee Kee Fatheh!

Thank you for the reply and information ... A GurSikh mentioned this to me but I didn't know what it meant ... When researching on Google I was directed towards Hindu sites and rituals so I'm guessing that the word 'Chaleesa/Chalisa' comes from the Hindi/Sanskrit Grammer ... So the term basically means 40 or to form a habit in forty days?

Also, the GurSikh mentioned that sometimes during a Chaleesa one doesn't speak or engage in conversation during those 40 days ... Have you heard this before?

I think there was an example referred to in a Katha where a Bibi was severely ill and was guided to carry out a Chaleesa of 5 Sri Sukhmani Sahib Jee de Paath everyday at Amrith Vela for 40 days and finish with an Ardhaas for accepting the Paath, asking forgiveness for wrong doings/mistakes and to be blessed with good health in order to carry out Panthic Seva ...

Also, can one carry out a Chaleesa at any time of the day or does it have to be at Amrith Vela and can the Jaap be as long or short in form i.e. Long Jaap of Sri Sukhmani Sahib Jee and/or Short Jaap of Sri Mool Mantar Sahib Jee?

Any further advice/information will be greatly appreciated!

Sri Akaal Jee Sahae!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

The main reason for doing chaaliya/ chaleese is to form a new habit e.g. amritvela, incresing nitnem etc. However, they are also done to achieve specific goals or wishes or for health etc.

In brief, you're meant to make an asaan e.g. a chaadar or cloth in a clean place, keep some water close by, light a jyoth and dhoof/samagri. Do ardas and start the jaap. Should be started at the same time exactly everyday for 40 days. The first 2 weeks will be the hardest, then it begins to become a habit and gets easier.

Not easy, but with Guru Ji's kirpa, it's possible. Best done with the guidance of a Mahapursh, or someone who's done them before.

Akaal Sahai!

Try doing the moolmantar jaap of 29/30maalas & following the other things mentioned in the topic link above. You'll be amazed on the kirpa it does :)

Some days you'll struggle but it's a amazing experience (having followed it previously )

Enjoy :) and keep faith in Mahraji :)

Guru kirpa

chaleeseh are not really Gurmat, i don't think its referred to in Gurbani, mostly these things are for saints or behangams who don't live a householder's live. you can have a challesa in anything (Ustad Zakir Hussain did this with his art of percussion) the philospohy behind it is similar to amritvela, 2.5 hours minimum daswand, rehras sahib in the evening, sangrand etc etc..it basically believed that you get bakhshish for doing this much hard penance for 40 days....if you go to keertan.org there is a katha by mahapursh sant jagjit singh harkowal about this its in the katha of jeevani sant javala singh about how muslim faqirs challenged babaji to a chaleesa

Thank you for the replies _singhni_ Jee and PAL 07 Jee ...Really inspirational about doing 30 Maala's (108 beads) a day for 40 days ... Proper Kirpa! VaheGuru!

And it's an interesting point that PAL 07 Jee raised about doing a Chaleesa in anything that one desires be it through Keerthan or carrying out some form of Seva each day ... I guess hardcore Chaleeseh were probably carried out by Sanths/Behangams due to the high level of penance and discipline required so one needs lack of distractions from normal daily life ...

But I reckon it's a great way to start or increase one's Rehath Maryada even if it's just a case of reading particular Baania each day, all helps in forming a routine and training the mind to focus more ... VaheGuru!