Why Do We Read Baani ?

what happens if we read bani and what happens if we don't ? I was very enthusiastic in the beginning , but now I have become really skeptical about things !

I always hear people say that we should read bani and all , but no body told me why ! Some people say its ilahi bani ( god's words ) , but now I am having a hard time believing that assertion ! Whenever I look at it logically , I find it no different than ordinary poetry ....

Can someone tell me whats wrong ?

what happens if we read bani and what happens if we don't ? I was very enthusiastic in the beginning , but now I have become really skeptical about things !

I always hear people say that we should read bani and all , but no body told me why ! Some people say its ilahi bani ( god's words ) , but now I am having a hard time believing that assertion ! Whenever I look at it logically , I find it no different than ordinary poetry ....

Can someone tell me whats wrong ?

Khalsa Ji

What happens when we stop washing/bathing?

What happens when we stop doing jhaadhu/pochah {sweeping/cleaning} of our houses?

What happens when we stop washing our dirty utensils?

What happens when we stop washing our clothes?

The answer is that everything will become dirty and polluted , i.e. unusable.

Khalsa Ji ,

In the same way Gurbani is a detergent that washes/cleanses maya from the mind. If you are not convinced then try reading Gurbani continuosly for about forty days and then see how you feel?

Our minds are polluted with maya and Gurbani cleanses this away thus making it clean and tidy for Naam to take abode.

I guess no one's interested to reply ! O WELL !

Singh, you have to be very careful in making sweeping statements about Sikhi and Gurbani. Just because in your personal experience you aren't "feeling" the positives, that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

Aside from the clouds parting and God's voice thundering down from the heavens & telling you his bani is genuinely ilahi, you're just going to have to utilise a little thing called faith.

Singh, you have to be very careful in making sweeping statements about Sikhi and Gurbani. Just because in your personal experience you aren't "feeling" the positives, that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

Aside from the clouds parting and God's voice thundering down from the heavens & telling you his bani is genuinely ilahi, you're just going to have to utilise a little thing called faith.

Ok , I am seriously asking this one and I seriously expect a reply : If I doubted Gurbani or said that its ordinary poetry , do I risk getting assassinated by some sikhs ?

I am now scared ! scared.gifseriously !

Ok , I am seriously asking this one and I seriously expect a reply : If I doubted Gurbani or said that its ordinary poetry , do I risk getting assassinated by some sikhs ?

I wouldn't worry about that. I would say phrase your sentences carefully next time so that there is no confusion :)

Which part of my post that you've quoted even hinted at your above reply?

Unless you were just making a general point in which case there was no need to quote me.