SHould i or not ??

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i say u should go. like some ppl said, dont do full matha tekh, just respect their beliefs and observe. maybe u could teach them something about sikhism and they might be interested. guru ji said to respect all religions, and teach them about our religion. its not wrong, in my opinion, to go to a ceremony thats not about sikhism.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

daasn dass veerji...

i definately think you should go...it's just another way people worship god...and you don't have to be sitting there singing their bhajans or doing puja..you could just sit there with your eyes closed and be absorbed simran of waheguru........

If you are absorbed in waheguru, then it doesn you no harm to go to any of these events.

I have a similar situation, my great grandfather was a devout gursikh, his wife was a hindu. Every morning, he would go to the gurdwara and she to the temple. It was a bit difficult for the children, but in the end some of the families became hindus, most others sikh, many of them amritdhari.

What kind of family would we be if we didn't attend their functions and occasions just because they are hindu. That smells of fundamentalism to me.....

my father always said, "milna and vartna with them is fine, but you own heritage and life is for your guru, never forget that".

We go, we celebrate the occasion with them but never at the cost of our own dharam, and they would never ask anything of the sort from us, if they did, they knew we would be comfortable coming back.

They might be chanting their hymns and at the same time "waheguru" would always be on our lips...

Ours is to live for our guru and to be able to respect all other faiths, how do you do that by hiding away?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Gursharan Singh

Do you know what the word fundamentalism means??? To me it seems you have no clue what it means as you use it so loosely in your statement!!!

A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

Shouldn't all Khalsa be fundamentalist based on this definition.

oops... I need to knock my brain into gear a bit, probably the wrong word to use.

Would go to dictionary.com tho look up a better word but it's late and i'm about off to bed.....5am start 2moro, just like every other day! :wub:

anyway....u must've got the gist of what i meant to say.....lemme know what you might see to be a better word to complete my sentence.....i can't think of it at the mo.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Since I am staying with my Hindu parents right now, I know for a fact that such situations can get hard to deal with at times. I'd say that there is no harm in going as long as its just out of respect for their beliefs. On few occassions I even accepted and ate the parshaad my dad gave me (coz refusing parshaad is considered highly offensive and insulting), but then for some reason I started feeling weird and had a feeling I was getting caught up in bipran ki reet. So the next time he offered me parshaad, I just folded my hands ( pray.gif ) and said "Thanks, you have it" :wub: . This way I am not disrespecting their beliefs and am standing firm on my beliefs as well. The other reason is that my parents have full respect for my Sikhi, and so I have to in turn respect their faith as well. They are not yet 100% happy with me having taken Amrit, and so I also try my best to respect their beliefs as much as I can, even though I don't follow them.

The best way is to show full respect and at the same time stay firm on your beliefs. In course of time, you as well as your beliefs will be respected as well and this is a boost towards communal harmony.