Gurbani Questions

WJKK WJKF

Japji Sahib - straight forward

Jaap Sahib - straight forward

Chaupai Sahib - in my gutka, the morning Chaupai Sahib is different. It doesn't start with "hamri karo hath de racha..." it starts with "pranvo ad ekankara..." what is this? Why is it also named Chaupai Sahib? Am I meant to read this at amritvela or the other Chaupai Sahib? Why have I never heard about this and what's the story behind it?

Tav Prasad - pretty straight forward although I find it really hard to pronounce.

Rehras Sahib - in my gutka, Rehras doesn't start with the line about Prahalad. Why is that bit missing?!

Also, Chaupai Sahib comes into it, and that's followed by "mundavani mahala 5... thal vich tinn vastu paio..." and a range of other short shabads. Are these part of Chaupai Sahib or Rehras Sahib? I'm very confused.

Anand Sahib - ok, so I've gathered that the whole of Anand Sahib should be read in the morning, then in the evening a shorter version. But what is this short version? Reading it in my gutka in the evening, I don't know where to stop!!

Ardas - at what point do you give your own part of the Ardas? At the very end or before "Nanak naam chardi kala..."?

What is the part sung before Ardas and after it called?! It isn't in my gutka, please help!

What prayer do you have to say before you eat food? What shabad and where do I find it?

Thank you

WJKK WJKF

gurfateh!

chaupi sahib is the standard name of the 4th bani of nitnem. the name of this bani is actually, "benti" and not chaupi, as chaupi is the name of a chand. just like dohara is, and rooaal, and orlaal etc.. - there are talks to standardise this bani name to "benti sahib" and has been inplemented in some places.

pranvo aad.... is the start of the akaal ustat. before before before ( : ) ), there was talks (in the spgc) to remove bania (i.e. decrease the nitnem). saying that benti chaupi and anand sahib came in the reheraas, and only need to do japji shaib jaap sahib and amrit savayyae ( aka tav prasaad savayyae aka sudhaa savayyae. this was another one of those talks where 'pranvo aad ekangkaara' was wrongfully debated to be the 'chaupi' to be recited. now, accepted everywhere, its benti chaupi (hamri karo up untill chaupi ko kehe - some stop at dusht dokh te leho bachaaee which is wrong) as the 4th bani. - hope this clear..

:happybouncer:

with reheraaas sahib, there is 5 main parts. on these parts, you can increase them as much as u want. but u can never reduce these 5 parts. the first, so dar, second, so purakh, third benti chaupi, 4th the lil anand sahib and 5th the mundavni , which comes at the end of guru maharaaj b4 the M:9 salork , (generally up untill sagale dookh jaae).

the chaupi is normally increased, as is the anand sahib. some ppl do all 40 pauris of anand sahib, normally, the lil anand sahib is the first 5 pauris, plus the last pauri, and this is what is done generally.

the way that the chaupi sahib is increased, is that a bit before the 'kabyo baach benti chaupi' is read, and a bit after it is also read. taksaal start at pun raachas ka kaata seesa. naanak sar start 1 pauri before taksaal at bahur asur ka kaatas matha. and the nihangs start all the way before, from the dohara, mahakaal ki sharan je pare... its all chaupi as the base is the benti chaupi, same as in the nitnem.

and there are various lengths after benti chaupi, jus get a 'beant banya da gutka' and ull c. or a taksaali gutka at that...

so normally, the reheraas is full in tha, its got reheraas at the end etc..

bottommm line is that the 5 parts that are read, cannot be cut shout.

ardaas: you do it when you say, 'aap ji di hajoor de vich...' then say, nitnem ji ki ardaas hai. or, keertan ji ki etc.... or reheraas sahib ji ki etc etc etc...

the bit before the ardaas is in sukhmani sahib, and the bit after is

qU Twkuru qum pih Ardwis ]

jIau ipMfu sBu qyrI rwis ]

qum mwq ipqw hm bwirk qyry ]

qumrI ik®pw mih sUK Gnyry ]

koie n jwnY qumrw AMqu ]

aUcy qy aUcw BgvMq ]

sgl smgRI qumrY sUiqR DwrI ]

qum qy hoie su AwigAwkwrI ]

qumrI giq imiq qum hI jwnI ]

nwnk dws sdw kurbwnI ]8]4]

copy n paste this into word n conver it into gurmukhi script, or search in "sikhi to the max 2" search engine. - if u aint got it, get it. :)

over the food, there are a variery of shanads that can serve this purpose. guru ji says that those who eat without remembering god, are silly and a beast. so it can suffise to do a mool mantar to naanak hosi bhi such, and 5 vahegurus. but, ppl say tera ditta khaavna tu data dataaar hai. then say the last bit of jaap sahib 'chatur chakra varti.. up till abhangang bhiboote' then saeyee pyaare milne.. etc (the last bit of the standard ardaas).

taksaal have said that its good to do "XYZ" over the food as in, a specified number of shabads. its ovb not too long.. gota eat innit :laugh2:

i can find a pic of summin that i took a pic of on what to do over food n post it here if u wana. but naam mantar is plenty before you eat.

hope has helped :)

u can msg me/ email me if u dint get anything or what have u..

sat sat sat sat sat kar jaaneeyaho!

:yeehaw: