First Couple Of Pauris Of Sri Jap Ji Sahib (My Interpretation)

Only five

My interpretation is in blue.

socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)

sochai soch na hova-ee jay sochee lakh vaar.

By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.

Here Satguru is describing to us that our mind cannot comprehend Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj. Many people put down logic and rational thought to say Gurmat is wrong here or wrong in another way. Ultimately the person is not using logic, but using to the best of his/her knowledge, what he/she considers to be logical or rational. So in this way people reduce Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj just to a simple thought; they bring Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj down to their own level and don’t understand we have to submit to his grace.

Then Satguru continues to say no matter how many logical or rational ways you think of, Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj cannot be reduced to your way of thinking. Today many atheist and theist hold Richard Dawkins in high regards. If you listen to this guy lectures, it’s very clear, that he is bring Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj down to his level of intellect. Although he is a bright man and has a high intellect, but to understand Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj, he cannot use his intellect. Whether a scientific approach or a religious approach is taken, no man can understand Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj through there thoughts.

cupY cup n hoveI jy lwie rhw ilv qwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)

chupai chup na hova-ee jay laa-ay rahaa liv taar.

By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.

Here Satguru is describing the person that refuses to participate in the world and goes into one place where the world won’t bother him. The key thing to remember here is that Satguru is speaking about the extreme levels, like the yogis who didn’t want to enter the world at all. Satguru and Sants tell us that doing bhagti in a quiet room for hours or even days without food or water or sleep is a virtues action. As this kind of devotion is very much needed to bring the mind and body to submit to Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj. It’s when we make a lifestyle of abandoning the world that Satguru says you will not receive inner silence.

BuiKAw BuK n auqrI jy bMnw purIAw Bwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)

bhukhi-aa bhukh na utree jay bannaa puree-aa bhaar.

The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even by piling up loads of worldly goods.

So Satguru continues to describe the other extreme ways many people take up. People get hung up on collecting everything in the world. They try to find happiness through material goods. But once they get bored of one material good, they move on to the next material good that will keep them happy. The cycle keeps on continuing until they pass away. Satguru is saying be aware of this kind of happiness and move away from it, if you see yourself falling into it.

shs isAwxpw lK hoih q iek n clY nwil ] (1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)

sahas si-aanpaa lakh hohi ta ik na chalai naal.

Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.

Satguru here is calling the above clever tricks and then says there are more clever tricks out there in the world, to which people hold on too. Satguru finishes this line off with a strong message. All the mind manipulations, material ways to avoid the ultimate truth (Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj), and trying to silent the mind will be let in the world. They won’t help you to Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj.

ikv sicAwrw hoeIAY ikv kUVY qutY pwil ] (1-6, jpu, mÚ 1)

kiv sachi-aaraa ho-ee-ai kiv koorhai tutai paal.

So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

This is where Satguru drives our mind to ask this question. If none of the above will work, then how can I become truthful? What do i need to do in the world to be with Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj? Satguru describes the above clever tricks here as illusions, and tells us, in our mind to ask, how to get rid of these illusions.

hukim rjweI clxw nwnk iliKAw nwil ]1] (1-7, jpu, mÚ 1)

hukam rajaa-ee chalnaa naanak likhi-aa naal. ||1||

O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||

This answer Satguru gives is very deep and i’ll try to explain it the best i can as i have done with the above. Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj’s command has placed us at our individual homes. We were born at a specific home, raised in specific ways by our parents, and then taught about Sikhi or came across Sikhi in different ways. This is all part of his command. If we say here that Satguru is referring to his Hukam as to all the times Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj led us astray from Gurmat and put us on Gurmat, then this pauri doesn’t make any sense as to how Satguru started the pauri off. At the beginning Satguru described, how many have gone off the path of Truth, trying to use various ways. This can’t be the Hukam Satguru is referring to because in the second last line Satguru tells us to become truthful. When Satguru give us a Hukam it stands on truth and follows truth. Therefore this last line is speaking about the Hukams Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj gives us throughout Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj. Meaning Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj is telling us to attach ourselves to Gurmat and leave behind manmat, which is the illusion. When we follow Gurmat, it is not discriminating against good and bad deeds, as to what the Vedas are doing (Sri Anand Sahib da Paat). Good and bad actions have the five vices attached to it, but when acting out in Gurmat, these five vices are nonexistent. Please don’t confuse these two concepts. They look exactly the same, but are very different.

hukmI hovin Awkwr hukmu n kihAw jweI ] (1-7, jpu, mÚ 1)

hukmee hovan aakaar hukam na kahi-aa jaa-ee.

By His Command, bodies are created; His Command cannot be described.

This pauri becomes even more difficult to understand. Satguru is speaking to the ego in a person here. Our ego drives us to believe that we do as we please and have a complete understanding of the world, universe and Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj. So Satguru says to this that Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj created your body, how can you the creation describe his command in totality? Then Satguru speaks further to a person ego

hukmI hovin jIA hukim imlY vifAweI ] (1-8, jpu, mÚ 1)

hukmee hovan jee-a hukam milai vadi-aa-ee.

By His Command, souls come into being; by His Command, glory and greatness are obtained.

People say my soul, my soul, referring to being the owner, but Satguru says even your soul is under Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj command. And because of Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj command, the soul was created. If your soul gains any glory and greatness then its by his command, not by your doing. Recognize he is the commander.

hukmI auqmu nIcu hukim iliK duK suK pweIAih ] (1-8, jpu, mÚ 1)

hukmee utam neech hukam likh dukh sukh paa-ee-ah.

By His Command, some are high and some are low; by His Written Command, pain and pleasure are obtained.

Here Satguru goes further and says a person only attains high status in the world because of Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj’s command. No one does anything to attain high status. Just as high status has been given, it can be taken away and low status can be given. So all this happiness (pleasure) a person receives is due to his command and not because of the person achieved it.

ieknw hukmI bKsIs ieik hukmI sdw BvweIAih ] (1-9, jpu, mÚ 1)

iknaa hukmee bakhsees ik hukmee sadaa bhavaa-ee-ah.

Some, by His Command, are blessed and forgiven; others, by His Command, wander aimlessly forever.

Here Satguru speaks to our egos and says if you are forgiven by his command (are put to start practicing Gurmat) then you are blessed, but if his command keeps you away from Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj command, then you wander aimlessly forever, no matter how hard you try.

hukmY AMdir sBu ko bwhir hukm n koie ] (1-9, jpu, mÚ 1)

hukmai andar sabh ko baahar hukam na ko-ay.

Everyone is subject to His Command; no one is beyond His Command.

Our ego in its last resort to defend itself will say well I can do whatever because i have free will, but Satguru kills this ego by saying everyone is subject to his Command. You say I have free will because of his command; he put you on this path to wander around. Others he has put on the path of Gurmat because of his blessing

nwnk hukmY jy buJY q haumY khY n koie ]2] (1-10, jpu, mÚ 1)

naanak hukmai jay bujhai ta ha-umai kahai na ko-ay. ||2||

O Nanak, one who understands His Command, does not speak in ego. ||2||

Satguru is telling us to be humble and recognize the virtues of being put on this earth no matter how bad you think you have it. We all complain about our lives. When something goes right we don’t see Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj and attach ourselves to this moment of happiness. However, when an aspect our lives goes terribly wrong we decide to curse at the world. There is no contentment in us. So the ego over rides our behaviour and we see good and bad actions. If we had taken the Gurmat way of acceptance and then act in a Gurmat way to move forward, then we are under his command and don’t speak in ego.

The overall message as i understand it is very important to understand before going into the next pauri, line by line. In this world there exist many spiritual people, many intellectual people, brave people, and people with many powers, which the average person does not have or will ever have. As you will see at the end, Satguru has given no importance to these people in the eyes of Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj. What these people do with spiritual knowledge, or intellectual knowledge is what Satguru refers to as wrong. Satguru in the above pauri pointed out to us that he created us and gave the soul to us. So just in the same way, Satguru has given certain people spiritual wisdom, high intellects, and bravery that no one can imagine. But these individuals are lost in following their own way. They don’t attach themselves to Gurmat.

gwvY ko qwxu hovY iksY qwxu ] (1-10, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko taan hovai kisai taan.

Some sing of His Power-who has that Power?

Here Satguru is telling us those that have his power are lost in using this power in the wrong way. They abandon Gurmat and use their ego to instruct this power in their favour.

gwvY ko dwiq jwxY nIswxu ] (1-11, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko daat jaanai neesaan.

Some sing of His Gifts, and know His Sign and Insignia.

Here those who have been gifted with alot and know his sign and insignia are lost in their ego because they pertain it to be their own gifts and accomplishments.

gwvY ko gux vifAweIAw cwr ] (1-11, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko gun vadi-aa-ee-aa chaar.

Some sing of His Glorious Virtues, Greatness and Beauty.

Those that have glorious virtues, greatness and beauty, praise themselves because they believe they have all of this and forget Satguru gave this to them. So the man with compassion, the women with beauty that entices the world, and the man that is held as the best at something are all lost at praising themselves and forget Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj gave these gifts to them.

gwvY ko ividAw ivKmu vIcwru ] (1-11, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko vidi-aa vikham veechaar.

Some sing of knowledge obtained of Him, through difficult philosophical studies.

Those that have gained knowledge that no other man has or can comprehend, they are lost in ego because they don’t understand Satguru gave them this knowledge to recognize Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj is the commander.

gwvY ko swij kry qnu Kyh ] (1-12, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko saaj karay tan khayh.

Some sing that He fashions the body, and then again reduces it to dust.

Some are lost in ego, thinking they are jivan mukht due to their special abilities. Again not recognizing these abilities belong to Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj

gwvY ko jIA lY iPir dyh ] (1-12, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko jee-a lai fir dayh.

Some sing that He takes life away, and then again restores it.

Some know the above and say this in ego as if they accomplished something in the world.

gwvY ko jwpY idsY dUir ] (1-12, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko jaapai disai door.

Some sing that He seems so very far away.

Those lost in sadness say Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj is far away and they don’t recognize that pain is the medicine and pleasure is the disease, they are lost in ego thinking of themselves all the time.

gwvY ko vyKY hwdrw hdUir ] (2-1, jpu, mÚ 1)

gaavai ko vaykhai haadraa hadoor.

Some sing that He watches over us, face to face, ever-present.

Those that have been given the above spiritual wisdom speak out in ego and believe they accomplished it and forget Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj from their mind.

kQnw kQI n AwvY qoit ] (2-1, jpu, mÚ 1)

kathnaa kathee na aavai tot.

There is no shortage of those who preach and teach.

kiQ kiQ kQI kotI koit koit ] (2-1, jpu, mÚ 1)

kath kath kathee kotee kot kot.

Millions upon millions offer millions of sermons and stories.

The above two lines tells us that many are lost in this way. They may have knowledge of many religious text, they may be wise in many ways, they may know how to explain Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj in an excellent way, but none of this matters. Satguru explains in the following lines why.

dydw dy lYdy Qik pwih ] (2-2, jpu, mÚ 1)

daydaa day laiday thak paahi.

The Great Giver keeps on giving, while those who receive grow weary of receiving.

jugw jugMqir KwhI Kwih ] (2-2, jpu, mÚ 1)

jugaa jugantar khaahee khaahi.

Throughout the ages, consumers consume.

These individuals don’t recognize that Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj has given these virtues gifts to them and they have all gone mad by thinking they attained them through their hardwork.

hukmI hukmu clwey rwhu ] (2-2, jpu, mÚ 1)

hukmee hukam chalaa-ay raahu.

The Commander, by His Command, leads us to walk on the Path.

Satguru here is saying look at the state of these egotistic people. Satguru is saying Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj can only lead us on to his path. These egotistic individuals can try whatever, but they will not be put on Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj path.

nwnk ivgsY vyprvwhu ]3] (2-3, jpu, mÚ 1)

naanak vigsai vayparvaahu. ||3||

O Nanak, He blossoms forth, Carefree and Untroubled. ||3||

Only if these egotistical people follow Sri Waheguru Ji Maharaj path (Gurmat), will they be able to reach Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj. All their wisdom about the spiritual world, the underworld, this universe is useless and a waste. These pauris stress us to live by Gurmat and abandon anyone that tries to take us away from Gurmat.

There are many so called Sants, scholars, professors of many orders out there making others go against Gurmat. One that comes to mind is current Neeldhari leader. Currently a video came up where his sangat were clapping in Satguru’s presence. Any jatha or individual that takes you away from Amrit Sanchar by saying only a certain group needs to take it, but we don’t or don’t take it at all, takes you to believe that diety worship is okay, ‘Sant’ worship is okay, or any other manmat idea.....walk away from them and don’t associate with them. These guys intellect is very sharp, they have more wisdom than Gursikhs, they can see into many realms and see a person’s future, they can perform many other tricks. But they are all lacking in the one most important thing that Satguru will only give to Gurmukhs; Satguru’s grace. These individuals ego will never let them receive Satguru’s grace, so they will only influence you into manat ways.

Any mistakes that i have made, please forgive me