Right-Handedness And Sikhi - Y Do We Believe In It?

alias

Pleae provide a Vaak from Guruji where He has placed first importance to have a clear consciousness and doing good deeds. I will be thankful.

Balbir Singh

There are so many shabads in Gurbani that place importance to this aspect that it would be too long a list to write down here. One which most people would come across daily is the last Pauri of Jap Ji Sahib:

Jat Pahara Dhiraj Suniaar.

Ahran Mat Ved Hathiaar.

Bhao Khala Agan Tap Tao.

Bhanda Bhao Amrit Tet Dhaal.

Ghareeai Shabad Sachi Taksal.

Jin Kau Nadar Karam Tin Kaal.

Nanak Nadri Nadar Nihal.

Here Guru Ji is explaining the essence of how to attain salvation. Nowhere is there a reference to the right hand but the importance is placed (like in numerous Shabads in Gurbani) on having a clear and strong mind.

If you would like more specific Shabads I would advise even just reciting Sukhmani Sahib carefully and you will find many more examples.

^ yh, n thats kinda my point. withdrawn with the right hand.

nd i dout that our guru jus so happened to let it 'slip' into rehet... aint that kinda undermining your guru?

Sikh Rehat Maryada was written after Guru Gobind Singh Ji passed away. I think most likely the issue of preferring to use the right hand is more to do with tradition/culture as opposed to any specific spiritual reasons.

Thanks for quoting the last Pauri of Jap Ji Sahib. Please let all know which words from this Pauri explain to have a clear and strong mind.

I will be thankful.

Balbir Singh

Bhai Sahib I'm not exactly sure if that is a genuine request or if that is an attempt at being patronising. Because if it is the latter I can more than certainly quote you many Shabads where Guru Ji has written about arrogance (or perhaps you could look them up yourself).

But anyway since you requested here is a simple translation of the Pauri from Dr Sant Singh Khalsa:

Let self-control be the furnace, and patience the goldsmith.

Let understanding be the anvil, and spiritual wisdom the tools.

With the Fear of God as the bellows, fan the flames of tapa, the body's inner heat.

In the crucible of love, melt the Nectar of the Name, and mint the True Coin of the Shabad, the Word of God.

Such is the karma of those upon whom He has cast His Glance of Grace.

O Nanak, the Merciful Lord, by His Grace, uplifts and exalts them. ||38||

If someone does not think that Gurbani places an emphasis on having a clear and strong mind, or in doing good deeds, then I humbly request them to listen to Gurbani a little more carefully.

And perhaps you would like to translate the following Shabad written by Guru Nanak Dev Sahib for us all (Ang 728):

Raag Soohi Mehla 1 Chaupde Ghar 1

Bhanda Dhoe Bais Dhoop Devho Tao Doodhai Ko Javho.

Doodh Karam Fun Surat Samaen Hoe Niras Jamavho.

Japho Ta Eko Naama.

Avar Nirafal Kama. Rahao.

Eh Man Iti Hath Karho Fun Netro Need Na Avai.

Rasna Naam Japho Tab Mathiai In Bidh Amrit Pavho.

Man Sampat Jit Sat Sar Naavan Paavan Pati Tripat Kare.

Pooja Praan Sevak Je Seve Inh Bidh Sahib Ravat Rahai.

Kehde Kaheh Kahe Keh Javeh Tum Sar Avar Na Koi.

Bhagat Heen Nanak Jan Jampai Hao Salahi Sacha Soi.

WJKK WJKF

Sikh Rehat Maryada was written after Guru Gobind Singh Ji passed away. I think most likely the issue of preferring to use the right hand is more to do with tradition/culture as opposed to any specific spiritual reasons.

i accept that since there is a lack of evidence on my part, both of our 'theories' are euqally valid..

but, i do refuse to believe that our punj piyaare cannot tell the difference between culture and rehet. this was my point earlier. so its not just culture (based on this fact).

though i reely do wish i could say more, i cant without being speculative!!

i refuse it so, because if we were to take marrages in hindu tradition, they have to do the rounds around a brahman.if he cant make it, then around the vedas. if te vedas cant be there, then around fire. this is y u see them doing the rounds around fire nowadays.. doing the rounds around our guru can also be put to culture and tradition, >using your logic<. ( i dont disagree with the rounds! just to be c!ear !)

oh and furthermore, the amrit sunchar has been unbroken in time (re: generations) since the origional punj.. we are all related, in some way or another, to the original punj. to those families that fled to the jungles.. so the sunchaar has been passed down via unbroken line.