Right-Handedness And Sikhi - Y Do We Believe In It?

alias

Dear Balbir Singh Ji,

No there is no specific shabad in Gurbani that I have come across which means exactly that but rather it was just my opinion which I have gained from reading Gurbani over the years. There are a lot of shabads which highlight the importance of actually doing good in life rather than being obsessed with trivial things as above.

Some specific shabads which did come in my mind include the one below from Sukhmani Sahib (5th Astpadi):

mithi-aa sarvan par nindaa suneh.

mithi-aa hasat par darab ka-o hireh.

mithi-aa naytar paykhat par tari-a roopaad.

mithi-aa rasnaa bhojan an savaad.

mithi-aa charan par bikaar ka-o Dhaaveh.

mithi-aa man par lobh lubhaaveh.

mithi-aa tan nahee par-upkaaraa.

mithi-aa baas layt bikaaraa.

bin boojhay mithi-aa sabh bha-ay.

safal dayh naanak har har naam la-ay. ||5||

Guru Ji talks here about how the real false hands are those which steal wealth from others and the real false feet are the ones which run to do bad things to others. In the last verse Guru Ji says without understanding everything is false and fruitful only is the body which repeat's God's name.

Sorry I do not know how to post with Gurmukhi font here.

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal,

Dear all and the participant 'Dhan Guru Nanak' Ji,

You wrote "No there is no specific shabad in Gurbani that I have come across which means exactly that but rather it was just my opinion which I have gained from reading Gurbani over the years."

There is no specific Shabad expressing that but some form strange opinions by reading Gurbani.

Please listen Gurdev is singing.

ਹਰਿ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਅਤਿ ਊਜਲਾ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ

हरि निरमलु अति ऊजला बिनु गुर पाइआ न जाइ ॥

ਪਾਠੁ ਪੜੈ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਈ ਭੇਖੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਇ

पाठु पड़ै ना बूझई भेखी भरमि भुलाइ ॥

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਸਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੩॥

गुरमती हरि सदा पाइआ रसना हरि रसु समाइ ॥३॥

SGGS 66-3

Thanks for referring the wonderful Sabad from Sukhmanee Saahib. Gurdev has called all activities mithiaa without resolving Hari Naam.

Please ponder over these Vaaks.

ਸਫਲ ਦੇਹ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਲਏ ॥੫॥

सफल देह नानक हरि हरि नाम लए ॥५॥

SGGS 269-3

Balbir Singh

its not super stition.. its in this rehetnama.. iv bin trya find the extract.. it says sajja hath over khaba when u take amrit..

and punj piyaare say right leg kachera, righthand kara, left side kirpaan for right hand side use, in amit suchaar right hand on top of left hand, and its 'good practice' to give prashaad with right hand.. ive made this list as the first post in this topic.. daanat dachan etc.. sun pooja.. god as the jort etc..

to be onist, ive found no real reason for righthanded ness, apart from, its rehet... ask the punj re the rehet etc..

and, even nihang singhs do anticlockwise parkarma to keep their (left hand side) kirpaan facin guru G.

I think the right handed thing is purely cultural ( whether islamic or just an eastern thing) - that being the sucha hath, whilst the left is used for washing yourself after ablutions. It somehow slipped into rahet.

The nihangs do anticlockwise parkarma so the kirpan is facing Maharaj and if its ever withdrawn (because they're always in a tyaar-bar-tyaar mindset - supposedly) its weilded in the oppisite direction ie away from Maharaj.