Questions About Taking Amrit.

Sukhmanii

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh.

Sorry if these questions sounds silly.

1. How do you know where and when the next amrit sanchars will be?

2. Does it matter at which Gurdwara you take amrit? Is the procedure and everything still the same?

3. In your opinion should one be wearing all panj kakkar before they take amrit, including kirpan?

4. How do you know when you're ready? I always thought I wanted to be perfect before I take amrit, to ensure that I made no mistakes afterwards. But now I think that will take forever. Do I view amrit as my initiation into a school, where I truly begin learning? Or do I see it as the goal I should reach once I've conquered the 5 chor and do my nitnem every day without fail, etc? I don't know when the right time is.

-they announce them in gurdwaras. you should ask the granthi singh about this.

2. Does it matter at which Gurdwara you take amrit? Is the procedure and everything still the same?

-there may be slight differences in rahit, but overall it doesn't matter so long as they read punj banis during amrit sanchar. what matters is that the punj singhs have a proper ucha sucha gursikhi jeevan as their kamai has an effect on you.

3. In your opinion should one be wearing all panj kakkar before they take amrit, including kirpan?

-yes. also do keshi ishnaan, after you have a bowel movement. they will sprinkle some amrit on the top of your head as well.

4. How do you know when you're ready? I always thought I wanted to be perfect before I take amrit, to ensure that I made no mistakes afterwards. But now I think that will take forever. Do I view amrit as my initiation into a school, where I truly begin learning? Or do I see it as the goal I should reach once I've conquered the 5 chor and do my nitnem every day without fail, etc? I don't know when the right time is.

-you're ready if you have no doubts that this the right path. to be honest, there is no possibility of perfection without his grace so don't worry about it. amrit is a starting point, not an end point. the punj chor cannot be conquered without his grace, and once we are amritdhari we gain more laha (benefit) from paath anyways, so it's easier.

if you can't do your nitnem, they tell you to do 6 mala of mool mantr everyday. if you can't do that, they tell you to do 2.5 hours of gurmantr simran. so even if you can't do full nitnem, you're still ok to go in. just note that the more clean your mind is, the more receptive to kirpa you'll be at the amrit sanchar.

so it's a judgment call, we're not going to become perfect, but we can clean ourselves up some and go.

in the end... if you think you're ready but you're not 100% sure, if you think the mind could be a bit cleaner, i would just go in and do it. b/c the mind is tricky and likes to drag things out. perfectionism causes a lot of delays.

don't know if i really helped. :)

-they announce them in gurdwaras. you should ask the granthi singh about this.

-there may be slight differences in rahit, but overall it doesn't matter so long as they read punj banis during amrit sanchar. what matters is that the punj singhs have a proper ucha sucha gursikhi jeevan as their kamai has an effect on you.

-yes. also do keshi ishnaan, after you have a bowel movement. they will sprinkle some amrit on the top of your head as well.

-you're ready if you have no doubts that this the right path. to be honest, there is no possibility of perfection without his grace so don't worry about it. amrit is a starting point, not an end point. the punj chor cannot be conquered without his grace, and once we are amritdhari we gain more laha (benefit) from paath anyways, so it's easier.

if you can't do your nitnem, they tell you to do 6 mala of mool mantr everyday. if you can't do that, they tell you to do 2.5 hours of gurmantr simran. so even if you can't do full nitnem, you're still ok to go in. just note that the more clean your mind is, the more receptive to kirpa you'll be at the amrit sanchar.

so it's a judgment call, we're not going to become perfect, but we can clean ourselves up some and go.

in the end... if you think you're ready but you're not 100% sure, if you think the mind could be a bit cleaner, i would just go in and do it. b/c the mind is tricky and likes to drag things out. perfectionism causes a lot of delays.

don't know if i really helped. :)

Thanks for your v helpful reply! :) One question, you said that what matters is that the panj pyaare have Gursikhi jeevans, but how can I possibly know that or find that out??

Thanks for your v helpful reply! :) One question, you said that what matters is that the panj pyaare have Gursikhi jeevans, but how can I possibly know that or find that out??

This is a good question. It would be nice if somebody could tell you if it's correct to ask the name of the Panj Pyaare before an Amrit Sanchar eg weeks before, to give you time to ask all the regular Amritdharis if they know the Panj Pyaare. This is not because people have doubt but because people have sharda in the panj pyaare, and therefore want them to be genuine. However, I would think that if you, and all the Amritdhari's you have spoken to, know at least one of the Amritdharis to be up there with the best of them, then you should have no worries as I am sure that that Pyaare would make it their responsibility to ensure the other Pyaare Administering the Amrit are upto standard too.