Gurudwara Dharamsala Guru Nanak Dev At Dera Ismail Khan Pakistan

Asad

Sat Sri Akal B Singh Ji,

I had not visited the forum for quite some time now so sorry for a late reply. I saw your post just today and hence replied immediately. This splendid Gurdwara was built in 1875 on the premises of an older Gurdwara by the efforts of Sardar Arjun Singh. Dera Ismail Khan fell to the Sikhs in 1835 when the Nawab of Dera handed over the town to Prince No Nihal Singh (Grandson of Maharajah Runjeet Singh).

I don't know if its already too late but I can send you some high resolution photos of this Gurdwara but I am not a professional photographer so you would have to excuse me for that. I would be glad if these pics can make their way into your book and you have my permission to use my photos.

Dera Ismail Khan had a substantial Sikh population before partition and there were a number of Gurdwaras and Dharamshalas in D.I.K but except for one or two the rest have either disintegrated or have been converted to private residences.

The above Gurdwara is now a high school and another one in the vicinity is a primary school. I can send you the pics of that one too. Do let me know.

Was nice meeting you and let me know if you would like a detailed history of the two. I can contribute the history for your book.

Regards

Asad Awan

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 2/5/2012 at 1:37 PM, Asad said:

Dear SheikhFareed,

Thanks for your reply. Please view the closeup of the picture below. Now it will be clear and easily readable. Otherwise you can always download the picture and then zoom it in Windows photo viewer or ACDC.

post-27712-0-30141200-1328466536_thumb.j

The Urdu on top of one of the entrance door states "Drawing Hall". It is a school now so it must be a Drawing Hall. The beautifully decorated verses inside the building beneath the ceiling are not in Urdu. They are in Arabic and are verses from the Quran and Hadith.

Schools generally have these verses written.

I will recap the history of this Gurdwara subsequently.

Asad