Dehli Riots

Sat Sri Akal:

Sangat Ji, please PLEASE post any questions that you may have about holding a blood drive in this post. I can give you a brief how to guide. If you need more detailed answers, please do not hesitate to ask.

Here are the steps to take:

1)Your best bet is first to have a group of volunteers who are willing to organizt this event. Trying to work alone will be tough...it can be done, but the more, the merrier.

2)After getting a group of volunteers together, approach your local Gurudwara and get permission to hold a blood drive. Try to outline with the Gurudwara people a place for the blood drive van to park (usually their "blood-mobile" is the size of a trailer, so plan adequate space). Also make sure that it is in full view of the Sangat entering the Gurudwara. Most important, for a good turnout, try to plan it with a najor event (ex. your Gurudwara having a November 84 program) and on a Sunday. MAKE SURE to nail down a date!

3)After working out the above details witn the Gurudwara Sahib (of course, if there is a Sikh community center, it can be done there too with the same principles listed above), the next step is to contact the Red Cross or your local hospital and tell them you want to hold a blood drive on a given date. I believe the Red Cross is more equipped to bring the blood drive mobile to a Gurudwara,. but you could definitely try your local hospital. Now, one of the things that they want to ensure is that you can draw at least 25 or more people to donate blood. Assure them of that...otherwise, they are not willing to come (that was our expreience once. However, if the first blood drive has a good response, then they will neve

r have that concern again).

4)Advertise, Advertise, Advertise. It does not have to be a multi-million dollar campaign. The most important advertisement is at the Gurudwara, which should be done by at least two consecutive weeks of announcements. Also, posters should be posted. It would be even better if the blood drive's announcement can be included with the flyers/announcements about the November 1984 program the Gurudwara is holding.

5)On the day of the blood drive, be the corrdinator between the Gurudwara committtee and the blood drive people. Make sure that the Gurudwara people are given a call a couple of times before the blood drive is held to make sure they still remember that there is a blood drive and the day before, make sure that they understand your plans of where you will have it and the times it will occur.

6)Last duty is to assist the Sikhs (and non-Sikhs if they do bless us with their presence)donating blood in such issues as communication and directing them where to go and translating any instructions the nurse taking the blood gives to the donator.

For this to work, try o find a Gurudwara committe member pretty highly ranked and has a good attitude about working with you on the blood drive. That should minimize some of the stress associated with commicating with Gurudwara committees. BUT make sure to plan this like a month in advance!

If you cannot organize a blood drive, please do go ahead and donate blood yourself and encourage others to do so as well.

If you have still have any questions about holding a blood drive, please post it here and I will answer it.

I think donating blood is a fantastic idea. I think we should do it in the city centre so even the gora get educated on what happen to us sikhs in 1984. Also it is 20 years and we should do more like protest in front of downing street and tell the government that we want justice from the organisers behind the 1984 attacks. We should be doing more because its 20 years on.

Vaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!!

Organising a vigil or protest is not too difficult. We just need to inform the police in advance. To do it outside the Indian Embassy is realtively straight forward, we just need to pick a day.

The rest is up to us to bring down, like banners, sound system, literature, coaches etc.

What we need to think about is do we have more impact outside the Indian Embassy or maybe somewhere more public like Trafalgar Square or Downing Street. Also, how easy is it to gather on Trafalgar Square or Downing Street without it being classified as illegal.

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: Having lost relatives in the Delhi riots I would say that the best way to remember them is to practice martial arts............forge our bodies into steel and keep shasters at home to make sure that if something like this ever happened again............we'd take as many out of them as possible........ jamdoot.gif

Sorry............thats the way I feel about it..........