The Issue Of Hair

Guest Ranjit Singh

Guest Singhs

Hi. I've read some of the books you've quoted and I feel their explanations are good but don't quite hit the nail on the head. The reasons Sikhs keep hair, ie the reason why Guru Nanak Dev Ji kept hair was not to do with the creation of Khalsa/Guru Gobind Singh etc.

The reason we keep hair is very simple - its because we are a religion that believes in practicality and acceptance. We keep our hair because ALL humans have hair and we see no reason for hair to be removed. So when you say that you see no reason for it to be kept - what is your reason to remove it?

SIkhism says ALL humans should be comfortable with their hair. From a SIkh perspect its absurd humans cut their hair in the first place. So we as sikhs keep our hair to accept the human form in it's natural form.

I know we live in a society where everyone is influenced by the media image, where people treat you badly if you don't fit that image etc. Let me tell you my personal experience - it is only by keeping my hair that i have appreciated the influence of media on my life, I understand what is superficial and what is not and as a result I spend less time and money wasting in superficial activities. Also I can see real potential in people, I don't influenced by 'tarty' looks etc. I think it would be a lie to say I didn't think about cutting my hair or experimenting with different looks but eventually you realise its so amazing that you are the only person in the world that is happy with the way the human body naturally looks.

I am older now, not at university/school so don't have the whole bullying thing and once you start work people are less childish. I've told several people at work I keep hair as I accept people in their natural form. There is no way anyone can make fun of you because they have hair too. I have often said that - you have hair too, a man beard etc but your just not happy to keep it but I am. In terms of looks, the difference is that I accept my human body with all its hair, you have the same hair but remove it...Ask them why they don't just keep their hair and you will be interested in their replies....Hope that explains things better!

• 2 weeks later...

Singh/ Singhni please don't cut your hair :'(, it breaks my heart to think your thinking like that.

me too, i honestly feel happy wen i see singhs in bana n daris reli long, it makes me think that i cn wear a bana too and that i can b apart of khalsa

Honestly don't listen to what Khushwant Singh rights. He himself admitted he doesn't believe in God, or Sikhi in general, and only keeps his hair because he has kept it all his life, and now he is old and doesn't feel like cutting it.

This is the same man who, in the Gurdwara, when his mother died, gave a speech about how she started drinking alcohol at the age of 80, and he made a joke out of it. Completely inappropriate. Don't look to him for knowledge about Sikhi.

Ranjit,

I can feel for you at this point in life - the fear of what people think of you, the bad looks, the feeling of not fitting in, the confusion and doubt about something said by Guru's how many years ago - and what do they really know about me anyways and the life that I am living - and so many different thoughts that you are thinking about.

You mentioned that you have never read about Sikhism and have very little knowledge. I think this may be the main problem. My experience has been most of us have kept Kes are whole lives but don't actually know anything about what it is we are supposd to be following.

Can you just wear a uniform and not practice the principles behind the uniform? Does it make any sense - Kes is a very small thing in a larger equation we call "a way of life" - this is what sikhi is trying to teach us, how to live our lives and been divine.

I think it is really good that you are giving yourself sometime to research and read - that being said you also need to make sure that the sources where you are getting knowledge are balanced. Khushwant Singh has his views, you also need to read other authors views aswell. That being said reading all the different views may not lead you to a conclusion. From your post it seems you have already made up your mind.

If you read Gurbani closely, you will see that it invokes a certain mentality for a seeker. You need to read Gurbani and understand what and where it wants to take you. Don't always let your circumstances over power you, sit back and give yourself sometime to understand what type of spark Gurbani is trying to ignite in you. Once you understand that, then the choice is yours as to which path you want to follow. The turban is an indication of seeker, are you really a seeker? Or are you just wearing for the sake of wearing it without seeking......sikhi says search....anf if your not the turban has no significance.

Most people on this forum are trying to convince you that keeping kesh is the right thing to do. This convincing will only last for so long then you will be back to square 1. Gurbani is talking about a way of life, surrendering of your thinking and taking on the Guru's Thinking. Once you realise this and decide which path you want follow then it doesn't matter what anybody has to stay because your own heart is convinced what to do. You haven't built a relationship with Gurbani or invested any time in understanding what it means, but you have been carrying around this turban which is an indication that you are on the spiritual path but really you aren't and know it becomes a real pain to maintain.

I can only suggest that you consult gurbani and then consult your own soul and see what it is you want to do. We all are able to make choices and it is your time to face yourself and decide what to do.