Sikhs On Dates.

13Mirch

Doesn't sit right with me. Call me old-fashioned, but dating, proms, etc., I don't know. For someone hoping to take Amrit then I'd think something like a prom would be the last thing on their mind.

Is the physical act of simply being in those surroundings incorrect even if you're detached from what's going on around you? I honestly don't know, maybe someone can answer.

Go to the ball and outdo everyone I think. If you dance make sure your dancing well. If you socialize socialize with the status of a king. It is noted in the times of the early balls of Maharajah Ranjit Singh, Maharaja Ranjit Singh used bring the 'bestest' liquor, some extremely strong alcohol made from a pearl or calm derivative. (see Emily Edens travel accounts)

I personally think a little bit of everything is good, movies, music, drinking, just an addiction or a strong lust/attachment to one thing is bad. A modern sikh should fit in and be a part of contemporary society, more below of traditional sikhs on this issue.

If you drink don't ever smoke and only drink enough to feel drunk not to extend the drunkness have a good healthy meal after your buzz dies down.

Never approach a girl unless you have an intent to know what exactly you are going to do for her or offer her or talk to her about. (see Prof. Kartar Singhs Do and Don'ts in his book of the life of Guru Gobind Singh Je.)

Eating meat has a worse effect than drinking. You must only intake all food and drink with god on your mind.

Don't chase after alcohol or the next big rave or whatever, if you have done good and time is right god will give you the opportunity to enjoy.

I think the sikhs that just do drink should do it on the down low and not advertise that drinking is good, or try to criticize anthers lifestyle. Though I do respect the sikhs that don't drink I also respect the sikhs that or give out large portions of the tradional intoxicating liquid to the sangat.

Still the best possible intoxication is actually 'nam' _ the hearing of celestial tunes. if you can get to that level then you will not need to do the foolish thing of intoxicating your mind manually by wasting money.

Doesn't sit right with me. Call me old-fashioned, but dating, proms, etc., I don't know. For someone hoping to take Amrit then I'd think something like a prom would be the last thing on their mind.

Is the physical act of simply being in those surroundings incorrect even if you're detached from what's going on around you? I honestly don't know, maybe someone can answer.

I know how you feel Kaljugi. When I was at school / college proms were unheard of. It was just something that we Englandians saw people in Hollywood teen rom/com movies do. Never thought I'd see the day when this silly childish concept reached the UK and certainly never thought that I'd see a Khalsa in the image of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji partaking in the rom/com teen movie shenanigans.

Btw.......if its England we're talking about.....alcohol is not hidden. At the age of 16 it is officially sanctioned, open and flowing in school parties.

I know how you feel Kaljugi. When I was at school / college proms were unheard of. It was just something that we Englandians saw people in Hollywood teen rom/com movies do. Never thought I'd see the day when this silly childish concept reached the UK and certainly never thought that I'd see a Khalsa in the image of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji partaking in the rom/com teen movie shenanigans.

Btw.......if its England we're talking about.....alcohol is not hidden. At the age of 16 it is officially sanctioned, open and flowing in school parties.

Exactly. We at school use to take the mick out of stuff like the whole culture of a prom / end-of-school dance, because it was seen to be an annoyingly contrived American right of passage. Even my English friends thought it was a load of you-know-what. Never did I dream that less than 5 years after leaving school there'd be proms in this country as well.