Animal Rennet Acceptable?

Guest Noisy Singh

Guest Noisy Singh

Hi there

I recently was arguing with a chacha about the acceptabilities in Sikhi.

He said that Sikhi was not being followed by him because he found it contradictory in the following instances:

- sikhs don't eat meat but use animals (thereby increasing demand for their breeding and slaughtering) for leather products such as tabla skins. But also they use leather products for sofas and shoes

- sikhs drink milk which is a product of cows. But refuse to consume animal rennet which is also a product of the cow which is used in it's digestive system to help break down certain foods. Rennet can be extracted with far less harm to the cow than how much harm a cow endures (emotional and physical) when milk is extracted

Any idea how I can respond?

Fateh

Guest ABC Singh

From my understanding, sikhs are not allowed to eat meat because it is not included in the 36 types of approved bhojan. Everything here is a part of joon (life-form), even those 36 types of food such as rice, wheat, lentils; but we are allowed to eat them as long as we pray to God before we eat them. That is the reason why Bhramgyani's always do ardas before they eat. If we do not pray before we eat, then it is added to our karam as we have ended the life or existence of that food. This is told to me by gupt bhramgyani.

With regards to wearing or using animal products - I think we can use them as long as we did not kill them just for that purpose. It is a good question and I will try to find an answer to this.

Drinking cow milk - since we are not hurting cow, it should be okey as the cow produce more milk then what baby cow (not sure what it is called) needs

Anyways, from what I have learned we should eat very minimal food as well as whatever we eat it affects us spiritually. The effects of eating meat is very high that is why is forbidden. Try to notice, bhramgyani's always eat very little.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

• 1 month later...

good to debate obviously if you cant explain the situation than maybe you dont understand it! No point just saying old people wont understand!

Guest KARKOOSINGH23

u shud not use leather

cows need to be milked , they start mooing to tell u they need to be milked , otherwise y wud they moo and yell

everything has life , even air and water , even while breathing we r killing life , microscopic life , we must use as little as we can , to keep our minds light

meat makes your mind heavy with corrupt thoughts , like kaam

Guest sewadar

From my understanding, sikhs are not allowed to eat meat because it is not included in the 36 types of approved bhojan. Everything here is a part of joon (life-form), even those 36 types of food such as rice, wheat, lentils; but we are allowed to eat them as long as we pray to God before we eat them. That is the reason why Bhramgyani's always do ardas before they eat. If we do not pray before we eat, then it is added to our karam as we have ended the life or existence of that food. This is told to me by gupt bhramgyani.

Drinking cow milk - since we are not hurting cow, it should be okey as the cow produce more milk then what baby cow (not sure what it is called) needs

Anyways, from what I have learned we should eat very minimal food as well as whatever we eat it affects us spiritually. The effects of eating meat is very high that is why is forbidden. Try to notice, bhramgyani's always eat very little.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Where does it says that we can't eat meat. And what are the 36 products we should eat. Can I get the list

When we eat eggs, we are not hurting chickens. Poulty farm chicken eggs can't hatch.

About bhramgyani's eating less. What work do they do. If they were with Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and fighting, I am sure they would have to eat enough. These are all pakhandys.

Where does it says that we can't eat meat. And what are the 36 products we should eat. Can I get the list

When we eat eggs, we are not hurting chickens. Poulty farm chicken eggs can't hatch.

About bhramgyani's eating less. What work do they do. If they were with Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and fighting, I am sure they would have to eat enough. These are all pakhandys.

Singhs in Guru Jis time lived off tree bark for a time. Just cause yiu never heard of it before you mock it? Honestly...

People who think like that stop thinking at a certain point but don't dig deeper at the problem.

mwsu mwsu kir mUrKu JgVy igAwnu iDAwnu nhI jwxY ]

maas maas kar moorakh jhagarrae giaan dhhiaan nehee jaanai ||

The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Raag Malaar

The thing is SIkhs should't eat meat because Sikhs believe in compassion for all living things, this includes everything in the environment (including plants and animals). We have a big road ahead of us because agricultural malpractices are just as bad as breeding animals for slaughter. We can easily become desensitized to the suffering of an animal that we don't see being bred to produce (x) amount of gallons of milk and from chickens who lay eggs. It's no different from how we use unethical forms of agriculture to quickly dry the rich soils from their water and nutrients at a very unnatural rate.

Personally I believe Sikhs shouldn't eat meat not only because we need to extend compassion to all beings, but also breeding meat for slaughter takes a horrible toll on the environment just to please the taste buds.