Wearing Kirpan At The London Olympics 2012

Pehlvan

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a list of the prohibited items at London 2012:

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/44/06/Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

"All types of knives and bladed items, including pocket knives and knives carried as part of cultural dress (excluding the Sikh article of

faith kirpan/ceremonial dagger)"

The above letter was from ideal in terms of wording and size of the Kirpan so the following is relevant:

Dear Dabinderjit,

I hope you are well, thank you for your email.

The LOCOG position on the wearing of the Kirpan has not changed. We have an exception to the prohibited items policy to allow the wearing of a Kirpan of the size limit stated below. This applies in all Games venues and entry staff will be briefed.

Exception wording for the Prohibited Items policy:

The Kirpan, which is an Article of Faith (ceremonial dagger) in the Sikh religion, will be allowed where the length of the sheath (not including the hilt) is no longer than 6 inches* and is present with the other Articles of Faith**. The Kirpan must also be worn beneath the clothing for it to be allowed into the venue.

( * the blade itself cannot be measured as to unsheathe it is considered sacrilegious)

( ** the most visually identifiable Articles of Faith are an uncut beard and turban for male Sikhs and a solid metal bangle on the wrist (normally the right) for both male and female Sikhs)

A recent press statement by LOCOG reads;

“We want to make sure the Games are accessible to everyone. The Kirpan will be presented at security, but it will not be unsheathed. Wearing the Kirpan alongside the other articles of faith is both an everyday occurrence for Sikhs and an important part of observing their faith."

I hope you find this reassuring, I do know that Sikhs entered the test events wearing the Kirpan with no problems, so I am confident the measures we have put in place with the communities help will work.

Thank you for your support for the Games.

Kind regards

There have however been problems with some football venues: Old Trafford (has been reported not to follow the LOCOG rules) and there was an incident yesterday at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry where a Sikh family was refused entry. So be warned that some football venues outside London may be an issue.

The above letter was from ideal in terms of wording and size of the Kirpan so the following is relevant:

Dear Dabinderjit,

I hope you are well, thank you for your email.

The LOCOG position on the wearing of the Kirpan has not changed. We have an exception to the prohibited items policy to allow the wearing of a Kirpan of the size limit stated below. This applies in all Games venues and entry staff will be briefed.

Exception wording for the Prohibited Items policy:

The Kirpan, which is an Article of Faith (ceremonial dagger) in the Sikh religion, will be allowed where the length of the sheath (not including the hilt) is no longer than 6 inches* and is present with the other Articles of Faith**. The Kirpan must also be worn beneath the clothing for it to be allowed into the venue.

( * the blade itself cannot be measured as to unsheathe it is considered sacrilegious)

( ** the most visually identifiable Articles of Faith are an uncut beard and turban for male Sikhs and a solid metal bangle on the wrist (normally the right) for both male and female Sikhs)

A recent press statement by LOCOG reads;

“We want to make sure the Games are accessible to everyone. The Kirpan will be presented at security, but it will not be unsheathed. Wearing the Kirpan alongside the other articles of faith is both an everyday occurrence for Sikhs and an important part of observing their faith."

I hope you find this reassuring, I do know that Sikhs entered the test events wearing the Kirpan with no problems, so I am confident the measures we have put in place with the communities help will work.

Thank you for your support for the Games.

Kind regards

There have however been problems with some football venues: Old Trafford (has been reported not to follow the LOCOG rules) and there was an incident yesterday at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry where a Sikh family was refused entry. So be warned that some football venues outside London may be an issue.

Do you have the original letter as a PDF ?

Official complaints have been lodged and LOCOG are trying to resolve as quickly as possible.

My family and I have tickets for this Saturday at Wembley. Is there any update if Kirpans are allowed in the stadium

Make sure that you print the letter and 'list of the prohibited items' on this thread and take them with you. If you get hassle then ask to speak to their superiors and also make sure that you take names. By refusing you entry on the basis of the kirpan they are breaking the promise they have made with the Sikh community and should be taken to court.