Gurbani And The Human Nature

Saadh Sangat ji,

I have a few questions about gurbani teachings.

What does the bani that is given to us by our gurus say about science, physics and mathematics? Are sikhs instructed to pursue and gain knowledge and try to understand the universe around us (physics, math, chemistry, biology, etc.)? Or are Sikhs instructed to only focus on naam japna and not purse other topics?

Also, (I am not well versed in gurbani yet, but I am learning) I have had many instances where if I ask a supposedly learned person about meaning of gurbani, the person just quotes some other passages from the bani as an explanation. It turns into some sort of cyclical definition. Instead, I expect the person to explain gurbani in a different language, perhaps modern gurmukhi. What is even more concerning to me is if one persists to ask for explanations by rephrasing in non-bani vocabulary, the person usually gets impatient, as if we are not supposed to question anytime a somebody quotes from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Charki Kala.

...Also, (I am not well versed in gurbani yet, but I am learning) I have had many instances where if I ask a supposedly learned person about meaning of gurbani, the person just quotes some other passages from the bani as an explanation. It turns into some sort of cyclical definition. Instead, I expect the person to explain gurbani in a different language, perhaps modern gurmukhi. What is even more concerning to me is if one persists to ask for explanations by rephrasing in non-bani vocabulary, the person usually gets impatient, as if we are not supposed to question anytime a somebody quotes from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Charki Kala.

I know exactly what you mean. I remember once when I was a kid we had a gyani come to our Panjabi class and explain the meaning of Mool Mantar. We were around 10 or 11 but that day has stayed in my mind (for varying reasons, lol) for all this time. Gyani Ji would speak a line of Mool Mantar and then offer his explanation of said line. The text in italics are his explanations - no more, no less.

Gyani Ji:

Ek Onkar. Jerra Onkar hai oh sirf ek hai.

Satnam. Ohda naam sat hai.

Karta Purakh Nirbhau Nirvai. Kartapurakh nirbhau hai teh nirvair hai.

etc, etc.

We thought gyani Ji was joking but he was deadly serious! When explaining each line he'd just put the original Gurmukhi words into a different order and mixed some Panjabi words in. We were expecting deep, detailed and insightful explanations but were fobbed off with the above. To add insult to injury he looked at us like it should all make sense! :biggrin2:

Gurbani is beautiful and beautifully simple. But one needs to come a person who can known it as did the ancient saints. Answer to the other part of your question is that one needs to study all subjects of interest to increase in knowledge and wisdom. Guruji has not stooped us learning.yes gurbani does talk about chemistry, physics, biology.and maths etc. Gurbani talks about this universe and many countless earths and heavens.It talks about trees, flowers, seeds etc.. But it won't teach you Pythagoras theorem. You have to learn that in a school. The way I see this earthly life, I see it ( earth) as a learning ground, which Waheguru has created for us. I mean who will not but learn something being on this earth. It is common sense. An infant starts learning instantly from its surroundings.

if you want to ask anything from Gurbani, you can come to me on my email address.

yaqub.masih@sky.com