Kirpan steel

fulaadh is the term for wootz apprently... iv herd its a term for any metal or the the blade meets the handle... we need a manual!

Falaud is a mixture of 7 different metals that makes it malleable, strong and very lightweight. It's prone to rust as well.

Wootz is quite stiff compared to fallaud. Fallaud can be bent and it will spring back into it's proper form.

From my humble knowledge, I have determined that Sarbloh is the term given to pure iron, however, i have also heard of shaster that are all 1 piece (like a taksali kirpan) being called sarbloh, due to them not having any other materials on the shaster.

I would not say that damascus steel is sarbloh, due to it being made by at least 2 different steels being forge welded and folded.

Wootz is faulad and is not a mix of 7 different metals, as it is a crucible steel and cannot be made in such a way, however I think sakela is more akin to the characteristics mentioned earlier ( very lightweight and very flexible).

From my humble knowledge, I have determined that Sarbloh is the term given to pure iron, however, i have also heard of shaster that are all 1 piece (like a taksali kirpan) being called sarbloh, due to them not having any other materials on the shaster.

Can you please cite your source because this is not true. Nowhere does it say that sarbloh is only pure iron. Countless shastar used by Mahan Sikhs and Guru Sahiban were not pure iron and were actually falaud or wootz. Do you think Guru Sahib would have limited the Sikhs to just pure iron? No. Wootz was originated in India and was widely available at that time and thus was used. Where have you heard about what you claim about fallaud and skella?

Many of the gardvis/pannde used by Sikhs/mahapursh from photographs I've seen (like the gardvis full of water while doing meditation/path) seemed to be made out of steel.

The gardvi seems to be made out of steel and the sri sahib is clearly not pure iron. The muth seems like it may have chaandi or even goldwork and the blade is probably falaud or wootz.

495006377_aa41659133.jpg

From general reading and conversations with shaster makers in india, I have come to determine that sarbloh is either one or both of the meanings which I eluded to earlier,

as for mahapursh having shaster that were wootz, steel or damascus, all I can say is that shaster from 1700s and 1800s which have definitive proof off being sikh have been wootz, ( including Maharaja Ranjit Singh) so there's nothing wrong with having wootz or damascus shaster, as least not in my mind. Wootz and pattern weld steels are in many ways superior to pure iron.

I have heard about sakela and faulad from Hazur sahib singhs and have read several published papers and books regarding wootz.

If I have made any mistakes, please forgive me

From general reading and conversations with shaster makers in india, I have come to determine that sarbloh is either one or both of the meanings which I eluded to earlier,

as for mahapursh having shaster that were wootz, steel or damascus, all I can say is that shaster from 1700s and 1800s which have definitive proof off being sikh have been wootz, ( including Maharaja Ranjit Singh) so there's nothing wrong with having wootz or damascus shaster, as least not in my mind. Wootz and pattern weld steels are in many ways superior to pure iron.

I have heard about sakela and faulad from Hazur sahib singhs and have read several published papers and books regarding wootz.

If I have made any mistakes, please forgive me

Many people talk about falaud and steels without knowing what goes into them. I know someone who makes falaudi shastar (any kind you want him to make).

He used to make shastar at Harmandir Sahib and goes to Hazoor Sahib regularly. The way he explained it is that falaud is an alloy of 7 different metals and makes it highly resistant to rusting (similar to what is used in railroad track nails) there is a carbon content in it.

Skella he said is refined until one of the metals desired is left over and I remember him saying to remember you can say "skella is like akayla/alone".

We're probably both right and wrong. If I go to Punjab next time I will make sure to ask the Singh again and try to record his knowledge if he is willing.

Many people talk about falaud and steels without knowing what goes into them. I know someone who makes falaudi shastar (any kind you want him to make).

He used to make shastar at Harmandir Sahib and goes to Hazoor Sahib regularly. The way he explained it is that falaud is an alloy of 7 different metals and makes it highly resistant to rusting (similar to what is used in railroad track nails) there is a carbon content in it.

Skella he said is refined until one of the metals desired is left over and I remember him saying to remember you can say "skella is like akayla/alone".

We're probably both right and wrong. If I go to Punjab next time I will make sure to ask the Singh again and try to record his knowledge if he is willing.

If I go I'll ask ;)