Akhand Paath & Sehaj Paath.... Rituals?

Guest guru ka sevak

Guest guru ka sevak

WJKK WJKF

Khalsa Ji,

Just a quick questions regarding Akhand and Sehaj Paath's. When gurdwara's have several akhand paath's open and no one is listening to them, and people are actually in the langar hall gossiping and chatting, doesn't this defeat the purpose of Akhand Paaths? Doesn't someone have to be listening to the paath the whole time, including the night? What is the point of reading the paath non-stop? Gurbani is to be read and vichar not read as a ritual. If no one is listening to the gurbani then why read it without stopping, is this somewhat ritualistic?

As for Sehaj Paaths, expect for when families have a death I understand they might not be able to go to the temple everyday. But, when they are sehaj paath's in happy occasions shouldn't the sevak parvaar be there and listening to the gurbani, whats the point of the granthi reading it and no one coming to the temple until the paath is done to make and eat langar and invite all their friends and family - almost like a party?

What about the incidents we hear about the sehaj paath's never being read completely ( I have heard granthi's sometimes read the beginning and the salok only)... or during akhand paath's some pages are quickly turned so they can have the "bhog" at a certain time (which is another superstition)

I love akhand paath's especially in india pinds where there is a tent and people are coming and going all day and there is very yummy food, but sometimes I think there is no religion left in them.

I thought guru ji meant us to go away from this brahministic rituals?

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

You are right, not many sit to listen to paat, instead go downstairs to talk to each other in langar hall. Fair enough meet your relatives etc, but some just matha tek n go and its all about giving the gift whatever.

I think those holding paats should think wisely and only invite those who will not be troubled or that can get to nearby. Because it is so much trouble to go all that way and not get any laha from it. Obviously Maharaj jis darshan is keemti, but end of day how many people actually go and listen to paat? Its all about showing your face that you came, and petrol not cheap coming from far, and the cost of gift if its a birthday, etc.

Why put others through all that trouble when they only have one day off work, where they can go to their local gurdwara without suffering.

Just a quick questions regarding Akhand and Sehaj Paath's. When gurdwara's have several akhand paath's open and no one is listening to them, and people are actually in the langar hall gossiping and chatting, doesn't this defeat the purpose of Akhand Paaths? Doesn't someone have to be listening to the paath the whole time, including the night?

I used to think this alot as well, but then read the sakhi of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, when Guru Sahib and Bhai Mardana were travelling through Kashmir , thery cem to a beautiful valley, and Guru Ji said to Bhai Ji play the Rabab, and lets do kirtan. Guru Sahib sang kirtan for hours and hours. When they stopped Bhai Mardana asked Guru Ji, why play kirtan for hour when there was no-one to listen to it. Guru Sahib said, Bhai Mardana, I saw the whole valley filled with spritual beings, 33 crore devtas/devis who had come to listen to the kirtan. Bhai Mardana Ji understood.

Sometimes we think that only pysical bodies take laha of Naam simran/kirtan etc, but also the spiritual beings which are unknown to our eyes, or our touch also come to listen and take laha.