When did Indians started making fun of Sikhs

JasSinghKhalsa

Sangat Jee,

I have done some discussion of this subject in my family with some elderly people who have seen 1947 partition and I will appreciate comments from knowledgable people here.

When did Indians started making fun of Sikhs through Jokes/bullying/passing racial comments such as "Sardaar Joodi, Sardarron ke Barahn baj gaye" - etc. etc.

I discussed this quite at length with my cousion grandfather/cousion grandmother who have seen 1947 and who crossed borders in 1947 - they told me there never used to be any bullying/jokes/racial comments on Sikhs before 1947 in Pakistan by either Muslim or Arya Samaj community (which is now given a false "Hindu" identity). Muslims used to respect Sikh people a lot (who are not responsible for this racial bullying through jokes etc. anyway), and used to come to Gurudwaras and also do Keertan. Arya Samajis were Gurudwara comers, used to make 1 of their son as Sikh as tribute to saving of their religion, and were infact still coming out of the 1500 Ghulaami mind-set.

As per my cousion grandfather who is a good pshychologist - "After 1947, starting from 1950 onwards, there was a continuous increase in racial bullying of Sikh people by native people of Hindustan followed by Arya Samajis who crossed borders joining their hands - starting through jokes - Jokes are made on a community which can be easily fooled, is a GULAAM community and can be made further GULAAM. They had already seen how FOOL this community was - easily fooled in 1947 by promising/discussing something and later snatching their rights, easily fooled in 1947 by snatching their identity in the Indian Constitution under Article25, rest history is known to everybody. So, next step was to humiliate them through Jokes/bullying etc. to kill their morale/self-respect/destroy their history. They also don't liked our Swaroop - such as "Beard/Turban" - and lots of times, they told us - "Sardaar Jee yeh kya bana rakha hai, ab iski koi jaroorat nahin (beard/Kesh/Turban), sundaar dikhna hai to hamari tarah ban jaao". They used to insult/humiliate us by throwing smoke of cigratte in DTS Bus/Roadways bus/Trains direct on our mouth. If somebody used to complaint, he was laughed upon, "Sardaar Jee, yeh Hindustaan hai, yahan aisa hi hoga or was even physically man-handed".

TBH, they have not been successful to kill our morale/self-respect, but TBH although born and brought up in India and living in UK - I feel more respected in UK by my fellow colleagues - whether it is respect of my religion/identity/views on any technical subject as compared to country of my origin. In India even in work place, if I raise a voice to do a job properly, I will be racially bullied "Sardaar paagal ho gaya, iske baaran baj gaye".

Huhhhhh - I have written what I wanted to, any opinions/views/racial bullying - most welcome!

What about making fun of those Sikhs who were coming from Pakistan and were labelled "bhappey"? Was it the Indians who did that? What about those who are cleanshaven but born in Sikh families and then call saabat soorat Sikhs as "Gyani"? Are they Indians too? What about those urban Sikh folks who make fun of rural Sikhs and look upon them as demented individuals? What was the word, "jatt boot"? Should we classify those city people as Indians also? Somewhere I read about Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia being mocked as "humko tumko Singh" by those from Punjab as he was raised in UP/Bihar...or was it another Sikh leader whose name I can't recall right now? And we've had Sardar jokes written by Khushwant Singh too if I am not wrong?

Wake up! Indians wouldn't dare to make fun of us if we didn't initiate it ourselves. They have a lot in their own culture that can be made fun of, however we turned out to be the ones giving them a chance to do it to us. Having said that, let me also point out that it is very much possible these jokes were in fact initiated by non-Sikhs, be they Hindu or Muslim. But let me tell you, this joke story is much older than 1947.

Here is a Muslim's account of the 1947 carnage. Not too sure if its a true story, but its definitely written during those turbulent times. Oh and yes, its translated by Khushwant Singh as well...

http://www.sikh-hist...s/sardarji.html

What about making fun of those Sikhs who were coming from Pakistan and were labelled "bhappey"?

i have even heard this people who came from pakistan being called " lahori" or " lahoriyey" as a derogatory term that they are "outsiders" in panjab, that was left in india.

i have even heard this people who came from pakistan being called " lahori" or " lahoriyey" as a derogatory term that they are "outsiders" in panjab, that was left in india.

They are also called "refugee." I think its quite ironic because they weren't "outsiders" they were punjabi.