Best tega

I got mine from the Budha Dal workshop in Patiala about 10years ago. Since I've heard the place no longer exists due to financial reconfiguration of the Dal after the death of Baba Santa Singh ji. Its solid, heavy, watered sarbloh that is razor sharp and battle-ready. You will need a strong wrist and forearm to wield a tegha! I paid Rs 15,000 back then.

Similar ones appear to be sold from the Nihang Singh workshop near Baba Deep Singh Shaheed Gurudwara in Amritsar. However prices are high, especially when they catch on you are from abroad. If possible, get a local to negotiate the price without your presence, then both of you go together.

Another option is a ratnowali tegha. They are made by artisans at the village of Ratnoval near Ludhiana. However the quality is no where as good as the above because the steel is inferior. I have a tulwar by them bought from an agent in Amritsar. Decent weopon. Price was fair.

I have never seen a Nihang in India with quality shastars - usually poor quality tulwars. Only seen the big boss ones in pictures that seem to have quality shastars eg main jathedars. I guess most Nihangs would not be able to afford a quality shaster and ones that can probably aquired them a while back when the Budha Dal workshop was operating, or have probably sourced puratan ones from places like Rajasthan where there is a decent trade going on of genuine items for reasonable prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever buying these shastars do not let them know you are from abroad. People in india think all NRIs are super rich, and so they will likely rip you off. As jangl da said get a local singh to talk with them about the price of the shastar. It will save you a whole lot of your hard earned money.

i got myne from Sahib Singh in Amritsar Tyare Bar Tyare shaster but are abit menga

How do they perform?How much did you get yours for?Can you show a picture?

I got mine from the Budha Dal workshop in Patiala about 10years ago. Since I've heard the place no longer exists due to financial reconfiguration of the Dal after the death of Baba Santa Singh ji. Its solid, heavy, watered sarbloh that is razor sharp and battle-ready. You will need a strong wrist and forearm to wield a tegha! I paid Rs 15,000 back then.

Similar ones appear to be sold from the Nihang Singh workshop near Baba Deep Singh Shaheed Gurudwara in Amritsar. However prices are high, especially when they catch on you are from abroad. If possible, get a local to negotiate the price without your presence, then both of you go together.

Another option is a ratnowali tegha. They are made by artisans at the village of Ratnoval near Ludhiana. However the quality is no where as good as the above because the steel is inferior. I have a tulwar by them bought from an agent in Amritsar. Decent weopon. Price was fair.

Can you show us a picture of the Buddha dal shastar?