The 'Sikh' alcohol and cigarette store in Manchester

West London Singh

• 1 month later...

Gurfeteh Pyarioo

Hi, I am a Manchester Singh and to let you know that this Sikh' alcohol and cigarette store in Manchester is owned by a Bhatra Family. This shop has been told before to take off the Khanda (Due to Disrespect) but they have not done this.

I always thought the Bhatra stuff about eggs and meat in their langar halls were just made up stories, is it actually true ? There isnt any Bhatray or none that I have come accross in the Midlands , I hear there are lots up north leeds, bradford, manchester etc..

Alot of you guys saying that Meat/eggs are served in Manchester Gurdwaras such as the Bhatra ones.

But if you are going to visit a Gurdwara here in Manchester, I give you guys some brief information about that Guru Ghar.

There are 5 Gurdwara's in Manchester:

Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara - This is new built beautiful Gurdwara and it is quite massive.

This Gurdwara had some meat/egg history a few years ago in the Old Gurdwara building but no Meat/egg is served now in the new building as far am I aware. The sangat at this Gurdwara is mostly Bhatra but since the Gurdwara is now bigger, you get sangat from all over the North West. The Committee here are Bhatra Sikhs and are trying to do a good job. Committee here never changes.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji Gurdwara - First Gurdwara found/built in Manchester.

Again this Gurdwara had some issues with Meat and Egg a few years ago but still I am not certain at this moment if that continues. The Sangat here are mostly Bhatra Sikhs. They have a Committee which never changes.

Central Gurdwara - This is one of the big Gurdwara's in Manchester.

This Gurdwara has/had no issues with Meat/egg. This Gurdwara tries to keep Sikhi alive with their regular classes in Gurmat, Gurmukhi, Kirtan Etc (check them out if you go). They have a Committee at Central Gurdwara but they have elections every year or two.

The sangat at this Gurdwara is is not particular and Sangat come from all over the North West.

Guru Harkiskhan Sahib Gurdwara - This Guru Ghar is the biggest Gurdwara in Manchester due to the land they own (factories and warehouses)

This Gurdwara has/had no issues with Meat/egg. This Gurdwara holds great Kirtan smagams once or twice every year which sangat comes from all over the U.K. The Gurdwara was found by Jaswinder Singh Kolhi but the Gurdwara has no committee and the sangat basically run the Gurdwara (How every Gurdwara should be ran imo). The Gurdwara funds Sukhrit Trust which was found by Bhai Jasbir Singh Khanne Wale and Jaswinder Singh Kolhi. (Please check out this charity, they do alot to bring poor homeless children in Punjab into Sikhi and Education)

The Sangat at this Guru Ghar are all from around the Greater Manchester and North West. The Gurdwara has a good Population of AKJ and Afghan Sikhs which do great seva for the Gurdwara.

Dashmesh Gurdwara - This Gurdwara is a Bhatra Sikh run Committee. I do not know much about this Gurdwara.