Memorials of Guru Nanak Exist in Africa & Mideast!

Mehtab Singh

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...i=18772&t=18772

I was reading a book about the travels of Guru Nanak and it says that there are a number of shrines of Guru Nanak in the Muslim world. The books is by SS Kohli

It claims, "At Madina, religious discussions were held with the Guru by Imam Ghaus, Imam Ashraf and Imam Azim who ultimately bowed before the Guru with great veneration. A house of Nanak Pir of Wali Hind exists at Madina at a distance of about three miles from teh burial place of the Prophet."

In Iraq, it is said that "Even today there are several disciples of Guru Nanak in Iraq. These people live on the banks of the Tigris river, partiuclarly in the cities of Al Kut and Baghdad. They are called Sobi and generally they are gold-smiths by occupation. They are experts in their trade. They keep long hair and do not cut their beards and remember the Guru by names of Baba Nanak or Baba Nana."

In Egypt: "It has been leart that a platform of Nanak Wali still exists in honour the vist of the Guru in the Suburban area of Cairo...[sikh soldiers] saw a platform towards the south of the town of Kaikai which was stated to be the place where teh Master had met the Sultan and that the Sikh soldiers had congregation and sacrement there".

In Uganda: At a distance of about 12 miles from the Tapora Station, there is a memorial in honour of the visit of Guru Nanak in the hilly forests. At a distance of about 24 miles from Kampala, there is a vill

ge names Bab Nanika after the name of the Guru where the sprin commemorates teh visit of the Guru which was the result of his blessings. It is said that ther is no other spring in the vast area."

Syria: It is said that there is a mosque here named mosque of Wali Hind near the mosque of Baba Farid"

Uzbekistan: There is a Dharamsala in memory of the Guru. It is said that the Sikhs installed the holy Granth in this Dharamsala in AD 1858. Up to Bukhara several Sikh merchants are found, but byeond that there are very few. Another town named Karmine was said to be visted by the Guru near the town of Vakand. The poeple of this place are only devoted to Guru Nanak Wali Hind and his discipline.

Then the Guru visited Karshi. The memorial of Nanak Qalandhar is situated to the south of the town. In Samarkand, the people of this place still hold him in veneration and worship the Asa (staff) of Nanak Kalandhar.

A village in the area named Narata was visited by the Guru there is a sping of the Guru at this place on a hill. The people remember the Guru mostly as Pir Wali HInd. Some of the remember him as Nanak Qlandhar. The keepers of this memorial say that in AD 1826 the Emir of Bukhara attacked the Emir of HIssar (in Uzbekistan) he was defeated in the first battle, but when he prayed at teh sprin of Nanak Pir, he was successful in the next attempt.

IN the area around Ura Tybe people are disciples of the Guru and do not talk of any other preceptor except Wali Hind.

Afghanistan: In Gharuka, 25kos from Kabul, It is said that the sand gaters in teh form of a mount during the day and spreads out during the night. Early in the morning the noise of the horses' hoofs is heard. The music is also heard during the n

ight. There is a Sikh temple at Gharuka in honour of the vist of the Guru. In Hazara, the disciples of the Guru in the area are known as Murid Nanaki. It is said that because of the faith of the people, the impression of the Panja (hand print) of the Guru is seen on the Prasad.

Wooden sandal (of Baba Nanak ) was kept as a memory and he was woshipped in Mecca.

Go anywhere in the world, you would not find a place bereft of the name of Baba Nanak.

Without discrimination of Hindu or Muslim, in every house, the Baba is revered.

When the sun rises it cannot be covered and it lightens the whole world.

When the lion roared in the jungle the flocks of deer ran away.

If someone wants to conceal moon by putting before it a platter, it cannot be hide.

From rising to setting directions i.e from east to west, all the nine divisions of earth bowed before Baba Nanak.

He diffused his power in whole of the world.

(Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 1)

Satsriakal !!

I would like to share this with you. My parents who are in Uganda right now, recently went to visit Guru Nanak Devji's memorial site.They went along with other sikhs and all did Keertan there.At first they were not all sure, or may be they couldnt find it(coz its far away from town) and when they heard the local people there call that place "Babu Nanika", they went to explore more.I am not sure if the sikhs who immigrated to other places in the 70's knew about it or not, but this is the latest discovery there now.might get pics sent to me soon.If you are interested,ill post them too. :TH:

Bhul Chuk maaf

Guru Pyaroo!

Waheguru jee ka khalsa Waheguru jee kee fateh!!

In regards to 'Khalsa Rule's post: Guru Nanak Sahib Jee travel to Uganda.

When I read this book few years ago, I always wanted to find out regarding Guru Sahib travel to different countries and their present situation. I am really glad to see this post regardings Travels of Guru Nanak by Surinder Singh Kohli.

Almost 11 years ago, I enquired regaring Guru Nanak Sahib place from a Client of mine, who is actually from Ugenda Below is the information which she gave me.

According to her :

There is a place near kampala where local people go every year to pray. It is their believe that this place is blessed by a saint who came from the east couple of centries ago. According to legend, there was no water in that area, and when local people heard that there is saint came from the east, local people requested the saint and he blessed with stream of water. Which is still there and people consider as holy water.

She gave me local name of that place which i forgot.

Guru pyaroo, i m pretty sure that the saint is no other than Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee. We all need to resersch some more regardings Guru Sahib's asthan.

Bhul chuk dee khima

Guru fateh

Jagpal Singh

New York