How to talk to a child about Death?

Surrey Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

kiv sachi-aaraa ho-ee-ai kiv koorhai tutai paal.

So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

hukam rajaa-ee chalnaa naanak likhi-aa naal. ||1||

O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||

The hardest thing for us to ever accept is Hukam. If we accept Hukam then we have become truthful and torn the veil of illusion. We can underestimate a childs budhi (intellect) and their acceptance to a situation. I suppose we are adults now or nearing to become adults and, depending on our bhakti, our Humai(ego) prevents us from accepting Hukam. Maybe a child does not have such a high level of Humai and will accept the TRUTH better then adults would. Then again, everyone is different and everyones budhi is different. I don't think there is any right approach to this situation.

wjkk wjkf..

am currently in my 3rd year of studying child care...and yes it is goign to be hard for this 2year old child to understand, but he/she will, you just ahve to go down to a level so they understand..but you have to remember when this child asks you questions to answer them with truth because we think that children of this age cant tell the difference when people are lieing and when they arent but they cant..

there are loads of chidlrens story books that you can get about death. theres a book called, "wheres Mog" and its about a childs cat dieing and leaving..and how the cats spirit is still tehre watching them so the owners of the cat behave because they knwo their cats watching them even though tehy cant see them. i know pets dieing and fathers leaving are different but for a child of such a young age its the same.

its a good way to help teh child understand death, by reading them a chidlrens book which is at tehre level explaining death and then answering any questions they have.

hope mahraj helps you, sorry for any mistakes

wjkk wjkf