Sign in to follow this  
InderjitS

Rajiv Gandhi Murder: Tamil Nadu To Free Plotters

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-26252797

The government in India's Tamil Nadu state has decided to free seven people convicted of plotting the assassination of former PM Rajiv Gandhi.

All seven were members of the Sri Lankan Tamil Tiger rebel group.

Gandhi's murder in May 1991 was seen as retaliation for his having sent Indian peacekeepers to Sri Lanka in 1987.

The announcement came a day after the Supreme Court commuted the death sentences of three convicts, citing delays in deciding their mercy pleas.

The decision to free the prisoners was taken on Wednesday morning at a cabinet meeting, chaired by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha.

Ms Jayalalitha told the state assembly later that the government would send the cabinet decision to the federal government for approval.

"If there is no reply within three days from the centre, the state government will release all the seven... in accordance with the powers vested with the state government," she said.

Among the prisoners to be released are the three men whose death sentences were commuted on Tuesday by the Supreme Court - Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan. They have been in jail for more than 20 years and had been on death row since 1998.

The court ruled that they should be spared the death sentence as it was inhumane to keep them for so long under the threat of execution.

Nalini Sriharan, an Indian Tamil woman, was also given the death penalty by the trial court in 1998, but the Supreme Court commuted this to life imprisonment the following year.

Three other convicts - Robert Pious, Jayakumar and Ravichandran - who are serving life sentences for involvement in the assassination would also be among those freed, authorities said.

Rajiv Gandhi was killed by a female suicide bomber at an election rally in Tamil Nadu.

A BBC correspondent in Delhi says the Gandhi family is unlikely to oppose the move to free the prisoners.

Nalini's death sentence was changed into a life term, following a plea for clemency by Rajiv Gandhi's widow and Congress party president, Sonia Gandhi. Mrs Gandhi had appealed on Nalini's behalf because she had a young child.

In 2008, Gandhi's daughter Priyanka Gandhi met Nalini in jail. "I needed to make peace with all the violence in my life," she later said.

"I don't believe in anger or violence and I refuse to let it overpower me. Meeting Nalini was my way of coming to terms with my father's death," Ms Gandhi said

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• you can accomodate without forcing sikh kids to do pooja or iftar etc , to each their own  path ... it is the same as baru academies and schools in India insisting on doing hindu rituals , its BS. Imean non-sikh kids aren't expected to do gurdwara assemblies/programmes and are provided an extra language learning at atam academy: after all did Guru Pita ji tell us to observe others rites and rituals or just be aware of them ?
    • Brilliant, where’s the Singh based ji? 
    • The reason i say the parent's at our youngest kid's school don't mind is because there isn't a whole load of them (religious assemblies that is), we have the usual "festival" ones and there about 2/3 every month solely based around Sikhi but the school has take Sikh principles and moulded them so they are accessible by children from all religions. Most "free" schools as they were called when they were set up like Nishkam and other's are "Sikh Ethos", i mentioned this in my post, they are not "Sikh Faith Schools" like Guru Nanak Sikh Academy in Hayes for example, at the end of the day it's up to you as a parent where you feel is best for your child, if had the option to send my children to a school like Nishkam i would because i'm more interested in their track record as a school and the education they provide (as far as i'm aware they are on the outstanding list with ofsted). Just a question, if there was a Khlasa Secondary school nearby but the quality of education and ofsted reports were better  another school nearby would you still choose to send your child to the Khalsa one purely on the basis of religion.
    • There is a very jeevan wala 45 year old Singh who is an expert in Shastarvidya. He holds evening classes from Monday to Saturday and 11am class on Sundays. He teaches his students shastarvidya as well as hand to hand combat. He encourages monaas to attend his classes. Before the class, all students r made to do paath of shastar naam mala, bhagauti astotar and chaupai sahib and ardaas. On Sundays they do an additional japji Sahib paath and r taught how to tie a dumalla. He says that a large number of his monaa students hv ended up as amritdharis and shastarvidya is an excellent way of doing sikhi parchaar.  
    • Veer Ji is the book called In search of the true Guru? I just googled and searched for keyword “disease”. The following came up if that’s helpful? Page 207 ebook: https://www.gurukhoj.com/eBooks/Autobiography-Bhai-Rama-Singh-Ji.pdf

Important Information

Terms of Use