What Is Naam

Naam Sunae, Naam Sangrehai, Naamae Liv Laavo

I hear the Naam, and I gather in the Naam(Nam Simran); I am lovingly attuned to the Naam(merging in Nam)

Raag Gauri Guru Arjan Dev

In this upper line of Sree Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, He is revealing us the secret for our salvation and our union with Wahiguru Akal Purukh

We may wonder, why true Gurmukhs, Sants, lay so much importance on Nam Simran alone, as menas of realizing the divine within ourselves.

I dont wonder because i know Sants have received knowledge from the only true Guru and they dont say focus alone on Nam Simran, but also do seva, and Dharm di kirat karni.

That is why, not only for this reason, but many many more, the Bani mentions again and again Sadh kee sangat, because it is there where we learn and understand real spirituality in the correct sense, as they are the emodiment of that eternal Truth.

Gurbani says only a Brahmgyani can know another Brahmgyani. How do you know who is a Brahmgyani?

Guru Arjun Dev, confirms us this , in His ambrosial words below.

Har Maarag Saadhhoo Dhasiaa, Japeeai Guramanth

"The Saint, the Sadhoo, has shown me the way to the Lord, to meditate on the Gurmanter, the Parsad, given by Him"

The word parsad does not come in the above Gurbani line. The Sadhu in this shabad is not giving anything. The Sadhu is telling the seeker to meditate on the Gurmantar. The word Dhasiaa means to tell and not to give. Very interesting to note here again is that it says Gurmantra. Meaning the Sadhu did not get this mantra by his own efforts, but was told by the Guru to medidate on Gurmantra and to tell others as well. In this whole shabad a person is getting instructions of who is the True Sant at first, what kind of instructions a True Sant would give, and lastly what to do and why.

The line translates into:

The Sadhu has shown the way to the seeker by telling the seeker to meditate on the Gurmantra.

This is what, the begining of the Bani says, and then it is repeated almost on each ang of the Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj.

Ik Onkar, Satgur Parsad. There is only one Lord, and He is realized by the parsad of that Guru.

Yes and the Gurus are from Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Guru Guru Granth Sahib ji. They have the ability of Satgur Parsad and no one else. Surely others can claim they do have this ability, but Sikhs know by Gurbani that Gurparsad is only received by the 11 Gurus of the Sikhs.

Barinder said:

Gurmukhs put a lost soul in the correct path, but never take the place of the Guru. The Guru is Vaheguru and Vaheguru is the Guru. However the same does not work for a Gurmukh as it does work between Vaheguru and Guru. The Guru is not the production of Vaheguru but himself. A Gurmukh is a production of Vaheguru after following the specific instructions given by Shabad Guru to where Gurparsad was received to become a Gurmukh. The Gurmukh once was caught in maya, but the Guru was and never will be caught in maya.

I am sorry to dissapoint you, but when you argue above that Gurmukhs are not Gurus, or one with Wahiguru....

For that misconception to be cleared, the Bani has an answer also

According to the following words of Sachay Patshah Guru Nanak Dev Maharaj in Raag Raamkali Dakhni:

ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ ਦੇਵੈ ਆਪੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆਇਆ

Aapae Guramukh, Aapae Dhaevai, Aapae Anmrith Peeaaeiaa

आपे गुरमुखि आपे देवै आपे अम्रितु पीआइआ

He Himself is the Gurmukh, and He Himself bestows the Ambrosial Nectar; He Himself leads us to drink it in.

So what does the Bani refer that the Gurmukh or Sant Jan give as Amrit and lead us to drink it? Does it not sound more logical, that He besows us the method of Nam Simran as Gurparsad? And leads us to drink it, means with that Nam Simran, He takes us into the inner planes where that Amrit Nam is showered non stop, all the 24 hours, so that we may drink it to our brim.

The above line does not say the Gurmukh is the Guru, but rather very clearly says the Gurmukh is the receiver and Vaheguru is the giver to the Gurmukh. It is not saying the Gurmukh gives the Amrit.

The line translates into:

Vaheguru is the Gurmukh, Vaheguru is the giver, and Vaheguru is the one who gives Amrit to the Gurmukh to drink it in.

This specific line is planting the message of humility to the reader. Even though with Guru Sahibs kirpa you have become Gurmukh or will become a Gurmukh. It is Vaheguru who made it all happen or will make it happen. Dont lose yourself in ego and start thinking I am so great to follow such a noble and received the title of Gurmukh. Focus on the feet of the Guru and keep your attention on the Shabad Guru. You are on the hunt for tuks in Gurbani to support your previous post. Dont do this. This will drive you mad and deeper into ego. Let go and focus on the Shabad for what it is. Let the rain of the Shabad fall on your face and take in the message. You are not fighting me in this discussion, but yourself. Its an inner battle that has given you the illusion of being a battle to prove to me what you want to say.

• 5 weeks later...

Think the answer to the question is in Sri Anand Sahib

ਨਾਮੁ ਿਜਨ ਕੈ ਮਿਨ ਵਿਸਆ ਵਾਜੇ ਸਬਦ ਘਨੇਰੇ ॥

naam jin kai man vasi-aa vaajay sabad ghanayray.

The divine melody of the Shabad vibrates for those, within whose minds the Naam abides.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਚੇ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਿਕਆ ਨਾਹੀ ਘਿਰ ਤੇਰੈ ॥

kahai naanak sachay saahib ki-aa naahee ghar tayrai. ||3||

Says Nanak, O my True Lord and Master, what is there which is not in Your home?

||3||

ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਆਧਾਰੋ ॥

saachaa naam mayraa aaDhaaro.

The True Name is my only support.

ਸਾਚ ੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰ ੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਿਜਿਨ ਭੁਖਾ ਸਿਭ ਗਵਾਈਆ ॥

saach naam aDhaar mayraa jin bhukhaa sabh gavaa-ee-aa.

The True Name is my only support; it satisfies all hunger.

ਕਿਰ ਸਿਤ ਸੁਖ ਮਿਨ ਆਇ ਵਿਸਆ ਿਜਿਨ ਇਛਾ ਸਿਭ ਪੁਜਾਈਆ ॥

kar saaNt sukh man aa-ay vasi-aa jin ichhaa sabh pujaa-ee-aa.

It has brought peace and tranquility to my mind; it has fulfilled all my desires.

ਸਦਾ ਕੁਰਬਾਣੁ ਕੀਤਾ ਗੁਰ ੂ ਿਵਟਹ ੁ ਿਜਸ ਦੀਆ ਏਿਹ ਵਿਡਆਈਆ ॥

sadaa kurbaan keetaa guroo vitahu jis dee-aa ayhi vadi-aa-ee-aa.

I am forever a sacrifice to the Guru, who possesses such glorious greatness.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹ ੁ ਸੰਤਹ ੁ ਸਬਿਦ ਧਰਹ ੁ ਿਪਆਰੋ ॥

kahai naanak sunhu santahu sabad Dharahu pi-aaro.

Says Nanak, listen, O Saints; enshrine love for the Shabad.

ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਆਧਾਰੋ ॥੪॥

saachaa naam mayraa aaDhaaro. ||4||

The True Name is my only support. ||4||

ਵਾਜੇ ਪੰਚ ਸਬਦ ਿਤਤੁ ਘਿਰ ਸਭਾਗੈ ॥

vaajay panch sabad ghar sabhaagai.

The Panch Shabad, the five primal sounds, vibrate in that blessed house.

ਘਿਰ ਸਭਾਗੈ ਸਬਦ ਵਾਜੇ ਕਲਾ ਿਜਤੁ ਘਿਰ ਧਾਰੀਆ ॥

ghar sabhaagai sabad vaajay kalaa jit ghar Dhaaree-aa.

In that blessed house, the Shabad vibrates; He infuses His almighty power into it.

ਪੰਚ ਦੂਤ ਤੁਧੁ ਵਿਸ ਕੀਤੇ ਕਾਲੁ ਕੰਟਕੁ ਮਾਿਰਆ ॥

panch doot tuDh vas keetay kaal kantak maari-aa.

Through You, we subdue the five demons of desire, and slay Death, the torturer.

ਧੁਿਰ ਕਰਿਮ ਪਾਇਆ ਤੁਧੁ ਿਜਨ ਕਉ ਿਸ ਨਾਿਮ ਹਿਰ ਕੈ ਲਾਗੇ ॥

Dhur karam paa-i-aa tuDh jin ka-o se naam har kai laagay.

Those who have such pre-ordained destiny are attached to the Lord's Name.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਹ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਆ ਿਤਤੁ ਘਿਰ ਅਨਹਦ ਵਾਜੇ ॥੫॥

kahai naanak tah sukh ho-aa ghar anhad vaajay. ||5||

Says Nanak, they are at peace, and the unstruck sound current vibrates within their homes. ||5||

• 2 months later...