Searching For Some Information.

I started following Basics of Sikhi on Facebook as soon as I saw their videos.

I really like the way he conveys the message and the street parchars really seem to be opening the public up to the subject in a positive manner.

Do any of you think reading a biography of the Gurus and their times would help in studying?

Should I focus mainly on the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

Yes. It will. You should definitely read about all Gurus or just watch the videos.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh (above) is excellent for spiritual concepts. For history and the lives of the Guru's I highly recommend Prof. Puran Singh. He is a literally genius and I can assume you will love his work. I recommend starting with the book the Spirit Born People (his book the Ten Masters is about the 10 Gurus). :

To buy:

http://jsks.biz/the-spirit-born-people-puran-singh?filter_name=puran%20singh

To read online:

http://www.vidhia.com/Professor%20Puran%20Singh/The_Spirit_Born_People_Puran_Singh.pdf

You should defiantly focus on Guru Granth Sahib, yes that is the best focus. Here is a great link of the entire Guru Granth Sahib in English.

http://www.nyu.edu/clubs/usa/docs/sggs.pdf

I don't recommend reading it linearly. It is not uncommon to read a shabad, ang, or 10 angs from a random location but I also don't recommend this either* rather read it according to the time of the day based on the raag:

http://www.sikhvibes.com/downloads/PDFs/Raags.pdf

Eg if its 4:15 PM read the Raag Tilang pages.. and then make a note of where you left off and then the next day at 3:00pm read where you left of in the Raag Tilang section not many Sikhs do this, maybe only one at the moment, but I do recommend this. Using this method you would be reading from the Guru Granth Sahib 7 times a day which is good, but more than often: once is good enough. I usually end up being in Gurus presence 2-6 times a day using this method.

* unless of course your doing a hukamnama or asking the Guru for something than random location is often used in the community.

Wonderful! Thank you jpsingh2!
I had never heard of this method of reading according to raag and the corresponding time.
When I first looked at the Guru Granth Sahib that I downloaded to my computer, I was a bit discouraged at the 1431 page number. Quite a daunting number of pages.
Nevertheless, I committed to reading the whole thing. This method may help.

I am working on keeping rehat.
I keep unshorn hair and I am usually awake before dawn doing school work or reading.

I love the concept behind the Kara being a voluntary reminder not to commit evil.
By virtue of where I grew up, I have always carried a knife.

I understand that there is plenty of other, possibly more important aspects. But, since I am learning slowly it would make sense that other things will come slowly as well.

AUrquhart1988,

Just wanted to point out that rehat does not only mean outer appearance (anyone can have outer apperance though important but focus of rehit is both internal and external) and having inner rehat, inovking inner good attributes in one's practical life and in one's experience as well:

Dya- Compassion, Sabar- Patience, Santokh- Contenment, Vichar- self contemplatation- who am i? and gurbani contemplation, Bairaag- de-attachment from superifical things in life and false indentifications-maya-5 vices- kaam-lust, krodh-anger, lob-greed, moh-attachment, ahankar-ego...start a spiritual sikhi quest with honest and sencerity desire to realize your real self (which we are separated from lord in ignorance)- ultimate absolute truth reality.

Of course! After re-reading my original response, I realized I did not specify my understanding of that as well.

I believe I try to live as moral a life as I can.
I don't drink or smoke, I work hard and when I can, help in local hunger coalitions.

Part of the reason why I found Sikhi so interesting though was because of the practitioners ability to master their passions.
I have a difficult time controling my own especially lust and anger. I try to recognize it for what it is when it happens but it still happens.
In the end it is my responsibility.

Also please include this highly enrich profound commentary of japji sahib (full essence of sikhi) in your daily sikh experience, It's short very profound..highly recommended. It's written by one of respected sikh saints- sant teja singh ji mustanelywale. Sant teja singh ji was both saint and great scholar who did double ma from harward university.

JapJi_Sahib-_A_Translation_Sant Teja Singh Double MA.pdf