Importance?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I was just wondering if anyone in the sangat knows the importance of having a palla ( cloth in your neck) when doing your path or ardas?

I have tried wearing a palla and I honestly feel that it does have an impact on me :) thank maharaj

however I really want to know what the reason behind it is ?

Guest GuptSewa

Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh,

Guest Ji,

I assume by Palla you are referring to wearing Hazooria.

From what I have heard from Gurmukhs, it reminds us we are beggars who have nothing. In olden days of India, a beggar would spread a cloth across their hands to show the public that they don't have anything, in the same way we don't have anything but Guru Jee's charan has everything.

Please also find below:

The Importance Of Hazooria
Se Kinehiya (Biography of Baba Harnaam Singh Jee Rampur KheRe by Bhai Seva Singh Jee) p. 359

The great Guru then ordered Baba Ji to tell the sangat on his behalf that, ”Whenever someone comes to pay their respects to Guru Granth Sahib Ji, then that person should have a hazooria around their neck. The old gursikhs used to keep a hazooria with them. If one is doing Ardas with the hazooria around their neck I listen to them with great care and attention.
A hazooria is a symbol of humility and servitude to the Lord Almighty. If a gursikh cannot keep a hazooria all day then he should wear it at least when coming to pay respects in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. This pleases us.” Baba Ji related both these orders from the great Guru to the assembled congregation. The doubt about who can perform Ardas and whose prayer is heard was dispelled.

Hope this helps!