Sign in to follow this  
Big_Tera

Being In London

Let me just give some background info on my circumstances. I moved to London about 12 years ago and I have never really fully fitted in even though I tried. I have just had enough of the rude people here. Where I live there are mostly black/white/Asian people.

Due to the large number of black people in London. The culture people follow is largely a black culture. ie the music the fashion and even they way they talk has become a dialect of Jamaican origin.

I am originally from a town close to Manchester where people tend to be alot more reserved and respectful. I feel like I don't belong here. Its not like i want to go back up north as ive lived here so long. i just feel i don't belong anywhere even if I moved back. but something tells me I would be happier back close to the north somewhere. I live in a predominantly black and white area in the east of London. anyone got any ideas where I could move that is more friendlier then in east London. I know areas up north are also bad in certain parts.

At these times i just feel like packing my bags and going back to Amritsar in india where my home region is back home.

What is your priority in life ?

Take a pen & paper, right down top 5.

Later figure/plan/discuss how to achieve them.

This exercise will help in getting a definitive answer.

• Like 3

you did not tell rude in what terms?? You mean Racist ? btw My family is settled in Newham ,london... So far I did not feel that racism except if people do talk behind of me? but After Being Sardar I have been appreciated much more than any cutsurd Guy.. kise di majaal nai akh chak ke gal kar jaye,chahe oh fe black hove ya pakistani....Punjab wich b Pochvi paag bani di a..te jado london jaida va uthe b pochvi paag hi banni di a thok ke.... btw The black issue is being major one..even whites re worried if blacks seem to cover up the England as whole one day....

you did not tell rude in what terms?? You mean Racist ? btw My family is settled in Newham ,london... So far I did not feel that racism except if people do talk behind of me? but After Being Sardar I have been appreciated much more than any cutsurd Guy.. kise di majaal nai akh chak ke gal kar jaye,chahe oh fe black hove ya pakistani....Punjab wich b Pochvi paag bani di a..te jado london jaida va uthe b pochvi paag hi banni di a thok ke.... btw The black issue is being major one..even whites re worried if blacks seem to cover up the England as whole one day....

ik hor gal ,yeh mann wich moh nai hai kise tarah da ta pls punjab a jao....

Let me just give some background info on my circumstances. I moved to London about 12 years ago and I have never really fully fitted in even though I tried. I have just had enough of the rude people here. Where I live there are mostly black/white/Asian people.

Due to the large number of black people in London. The culture people follow is largely a black culture. ie the music the fashion and even they way they talk has become a dialect of Jamaican origin.

I am originally from a town close to Manchester where people tend to be alot more reserved and respectful. I feel like I don't belong here. Its not like i want to go back up north as ive lived here so long. i just feel i don't belong anywhere even if I moved back. but something tells me I would be happier back close to the north somewhere. I live in a predominantly black and white area in the east of London. anyone got any ideas where I could move that is more friendlier then in east London. I know areas up north are also bad in certain parts.

At these times i just feel like packing my bags and going back to Amritsar in india where my home region is back home.

Wow 12 years is a long time yet you still feel out of place. Maybe you just miss being up north? I moved from yorkshire to london. Every now and then i go back up to visit family. I think i need that mix of country and city. I love london. I love how everyone keeps themselves to themselves. Busy in their own lives. Even the dogs dont give you a second gaze! Whereas in the country everyones in everyones business. But at times i miss the greenery. Trees and grass and open skies. Each to their own i guess.

Veer it really comes down to where in london you are. Londons possibly the most diverse city ever. When im in london, i feel like im abroad but with all the british comforts. Another thing i love about london. Everyone belongs. Everyones foreign. I feel more at home. I guess spending so much time up north amongst the majority white folk, i long for that sense of belonging.

Hmm friendly areas in london, Holland Park- my fave place to be, Shephards Bush in and around westfields, Kensington just about anywhere ;). Anywhere thereabouts is good for me. Im sure there are many more places. You just have to go out there and explore.

Maybe a trip Home, Panjab would do you some good?

Bro, your post is ironically beautiful in it’s honesty and how it applies to all of us.

I note the comment “I just don’t feel like I belong anywhere”. That happens to all of us in life at various stages. It will be because of cultural change, because of us moving somewhere else, because of change where we live, because of those close to us seeming to change as they move forward in life, or because of our mental state.

I have non Punjabi friends but the people who I fit in with most were primarily western Punjabi Sikhs with a few recent immigrant Punjabi Sikhs who were extremely loyal to Sikh identity and living Sikhi by being socially aware activists and dynamic people who did not restrict their social circles to Punjabis. They were the bravest, most humble, and most ethical people I have ever met. We have dispersed somewhat geographically and in our lives over the years.

Around me now I find almost the opposite amongst masses of ‘sikhs’. Much more of punjab where the script for their identity comes from bollywood and Punjabi popular culture. Drinking Saturday, gurudwara Sunday etc. I have repeated experiences with them being racist, dishonest, unethical, and superficial. It breaks my heart to see them wanting to carry the banner of “sikhi” into the future. As that becomes a more prevalent demographic drowning out my true Sikh bros and sis, I certainly don’t feel like I fit in. I also have thought I want to move away from this.

When you get to the point of least fitting in the popular sense is when you completely fit in. Fitting in in the popular senses is an illusion bro. We have to fit in with ourselves first and foremost. ”Mann tu jyot saroop hain, apna mool pehchaan

I certainly don’t have it perfected but when you fit in with yourself, you see others from a broader perspective and are more accepting of parts of them that you may not have even seen previously. I see hope in those individuals that I describe above. It’s either that or abandon them, and the latter I don’t consider an option. I also fortunately live in a place where I am busy and can spend my time with various people. For Sikh minded sangat, I find it amongst a non-Sikhs and a tiny minority of Sikhs.

Others eventually look to you to fit in as they see the ease with which you carry yourself. You will continue to prefer some company over other but you will find your niche. It may be small, and at times it may revert to a company of one/ik where it started and will end. But at any given moment you must start there… ”Mann tu jyot saroop hain, apna mool pehchaan

• Like 3

Guest Sat

Well its Kalyug the darkest age and in an age where the world is fool of idio*ts, and Londin being one of the most fickle places in the world, its no suprise there is no shortage of fools here.

Its people in pain though, insecure, unhappy and uncontent people. The media brainwashes people to their agenda. Tge fools are what we should aspire Not to be. A wise man learns from a fools mistakes. A fool learns from his own mistakes.

Guest Sat

Also in London, people may seem to keep themselves to themselves, but faced with the jyot of a bhagat, mobs can go insane with anger. Try it out, do naam simran near a bunch of people who are proper into kalyug and see how they react, but hold on tight to who u are because they may try and make u what they want u to be. Watch their 5 thieves rise, the jealousy and anger and see the reality of this age.