Don't Enjoy Banis...should I Follow A Different Path?

Guest Curious

Guest Curious

I am a westerner who has recently become interested in sikhi. I am trying to wake early to do a bit of yoga, meditation, and I've tried listening to Japji Sahib while reading along. However, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I don't really enjoy the sounds of banis. I don't mean to offend anyone, it is just a sound unfamiliar to me, but as hard as I try, I don't properly appreciate the holiness in the sounds and language. I come from a religion with a strong mystical tradition that is in line with Sikhi at its core, and I wonder if that practice might better be suited for me. I enjoy the sounds of the prayers much more in that religion. I realize this is largely cultural bias, but I feel like after trying to immerse myself in recitation of the banis in punjabi, and still not appreciating it, that it may be better not to force it forever.

I believe the SGGS contains truth. There are no beliefs to discard, unlike if I went back to my previous religion. However, I feel it might be improper to sit in gurdwara and listen to kirtan, or to do the morning banis, without actually enjoying it. I recognize these are fundamental aspects of being an observant Sikh, so I don't want to perform them with an empty heart.

I am still on my path of 40 days straight waking early for meditation and listening/reading along of Japji Sahib. I feel completing this is necessary for me to make a proper judgement call, but I am becoming disheartened. Does anyone have any opinions on what I should do? I would love to become Khalsa someday, God willing, but if I can not recite the banis with love in my heart, I could never become Khalsa. Help!

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Maybe the problem is that you don't understand the banis ? try having a Gutka with meanings.

Also try reciting you nitnem in different techniques for example some gyanis do nitnem in a different tone or in the style of singing. For example Sukirat trust sing the nitnem beautifully!

I'm not jumping to conclusions but I thought I might suggest, maybe you haven't developed love for God so that's why you don't feel the love in discovering who he is ?

ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸੰਤੋਖੀਆ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਏਕੈ ਭਾਇ ॥੧॥

Those contented souls who meditate on the Lord with single-minded love, meet the True Lord. ||1||

As you say that you say that you don't feel the love to do the banis, could just be your inside mind which is trying to separate you from Waheguru ji, I sometimes have this feeling too where I have this urge to just miss my nitnem but I control myself by explaining that by doing my banis I will only benefit myself and eventually I too will be free from the fire of the mind which is full of haumai (ego) and materialistic desiresand have unconditional and endless love for Waheguru ji.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਲਾਹੀਐ ਹਉਮੈ ਨਿਵਰੀ ਭਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

The Gurmukh praises the Naam, and the fire of egotism is extinguished. ||1||Pause||

If you honestly want to do your Banis and like your emphasise its important to do it with love you must go to the gurdwara, do sewa, simran and listen to kirtan.

ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥

Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

Take the example of a moth, a moth will keep surrounding the light bulb until it is finally burnt! As a Gurmukh (god centred person) we should keep following god until we are coloured in his love.

Try simple naam simran before hard core things

ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਾਚੁ ਨਾਇ ਭਾਖਿਆ ਭਾਉ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥

True is the Master, True is His Name-speak it with infinite love.

Bhul chuk maaf ji, hope you the best of luck :)

I am a westerner who has recently become interested in sikhi. I am trying to wake early to do a bit of yoga, meditation, and I've tried listening to Japji Sahib while reading along. However, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I don't really enjoy the sounds of banis. I don't mean to offend anyone, it is just a sound unfamiliar to me, but as hard as I try, I don't properly appreciate the holiness in the sounds and language. I come from a religion with a strong mystical tradition that is in line with Sikhi at its core, and I wonder if that practice might better be suited for me. I enjoy the sounds of the prayers much more in that religion. I realize this is largely cultural bias, but I feel like after trying to immerse myself in recitation of the banis in punjabi, and still not appreciating it, that it may be better not to force it forever.

I believe the SGGS contains truth. There are no beliefs to discard, unlike if I went back to my previous religion. However, I feel it might be improper to sit in gurdwara and listen to kirtan, or to do the morning banis, without actually enjoying it. I recognize these are fundamental aspects of being an observant Sikh, so I don't want to perform them with an empty heart.

I am still on my path of 40 days straight waking early for meditation and listening/reading along of Japji Sahib. I feel completing this is necessary for me to make a proper judgement call, but I am becoming disheartened. Does anyone have any opinions on what I should do? I would love to become Khalsa someday, God willing, but if I can not recite the banis with love in my heart, I could never become Khalsa. Help!

You went to the a cult called 3HO for learning Sikhi. They do not teach Sikhi. They teach kundalini yoga.

Come into Sikhi and you would not want to leave. First mistake, you must read Gurbani in the language you understand. So start reading in english and slowly start learning punjabi. With understanding you dive deeper into the ocean of Gurbani.

Give me a break down of what you are doing. All the unnecessary things you are doing can be taken out. What kind of meditation are you doing in the morning? What does it involve, certain body positions, hand movements, etc.

Guest Curious

Thank you all for your replies. We are lucky to have this forum. It could be that I have not properly understood sikhi, and perhaps with more meditation, seva, and learning, I will come to understand and accept the beauty after letting go of my ego. I will work on these things. I cannot express how grateful I am for the support. I thought maybe I just wasn't meant to be a Sikh (as if! We're all Sikhs inside!). Being encouraged to persevere and look at this from another angle has been very beneficial. I've just read many stories of other western Sikhs on forums, and they describe crying when they hear kirtan, and I felt discouraged that something is wrong with me.

To BarinderSingh - luckily I have tried to avoid 3ho as I have heard some negative things about some of their practices. My yoga in the morning is a 20 minute clip from YouTube, and I only use it as a method of waking myself up early in the morning, so I can meditate properly. I also shower lukewarm/cold to help facilitate this.

As for my actual meditation technique - I have tried to keep it very simple for this 40 day trial, so that I can experience meditation without trying to keep too many rituals or long mantras in my head. I have only sat down, closed my eyes, and repeated either the mantra 'waheguru', 'sat naam' or 'ik onkar'. I have tried to keep everything basic and practical, as so far this is my understanding of sikhi.

These practices (waking early, cold shower, basic yoga, meditation) have all been beneficial, but my big problem is not appreciating the melodies of sikhi. Perhaps I need to focus on my seva and learning punjabi, reminding myself this is good for me, and this will come. I will also try guruvah's suggestion of making a plea before the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

There is just so much emphasis places on the music, with the SGGS even being divided by musical arrangements (as far as I currently understand), so it feels discouraging not to 'click' with this aspect of faith which is considered so crucial. I won't lose hope, though!

Thank you again for everyone who has commented so far. You've all been very encouraging and it is very much appreciated.

Guest Guest

The answer, if you are a sincere seeker, is to do even more Bani with as much love as possible. Eventually - whether within a day, week, month, year or decade - Guru Ji will do His Kirpa.

Guest dasguruka

Thank you all for your replies. We are lucky to have this forum. It could be that I have not properly understood sikhi, and perhaps with more meditation, seva, and learning, I will come to understand and accept the beauty after letting go of my ego. I will work on these things. I cannot express how grateful I am for the support. I thought maybe I just wasn't meant to be a Sikh (as if! We're all Sikhs inside!). Being encouraged to persevere and look at this from another angle has been very beneficial. I've just read many stories of other western Sikhs on forums, and they describe crying when they hear kirtan, and I felt discouraged that something is wrong with me.

To BarinderSingh - luckily I have tried to avoid 3ho as I have heard some negative things about some of their practices. My yoga in the morning is a 20 minute clip from YouTube, and I only use it as a method of waking myself up early in the morning, so I can meditate properly. I also shower lukewarm/cold to help facilitate this.

As for my actual meditation technique - I have tried to keep it very simple for this 40 day trial, so that I can experience meditation without trying to keep too many rituals or long mantras in my head. I have only sat down, closed my eyes, and repeated either the mantra 'waheguru', 'sat naam' or 'ik onkar'. I have tried to keep everything basic and practical, as so far this is my understanding of sikhi.

These practices (waking early, cold shower, basic yoga, meditation) have all been beneficial, but my big problem is not appreciating the melodies of sikhi. Perhaps I need to focus on my seva and learning punjabi, reminding myself this is good for me, and this will come. I will also try guruvah's suggestion of making a plea before the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

There is just so much emphasis places on the music, with the SGGS even being divided by musical arrangements (as far as I currently understand), so it feels discouraging not to 'click' with this aspect of faith which is considered so crucial. I won't lose hope, though!

Thank you again for everyone who has commented so far. You've all been very encouraging and it is very much appreciated.

It'll sound different because its a different language and we can't just expect to get the hold of it right away. Reading to yourself is different. Try singing or listening to Kirtan. That is totally different from reading it to yourself and more beneficial in some ways.

Reading to yourself is like a storm coming over and clearing up a dry desert right away. A lot of going on at once and the mind trying to catch it all.

Listening to kirtan is like a rainfall that stops and resumes occassinally which allows the mind to understand the Shabads and the raags.

Hope that made any sense.

And I fail at replying with the correct format.

Gurbani is pure pristine absolute truth which connects to all aspects of divine all included in non dual Ik0ngkar- One absolute Truth/reality as creator is fully engaged in creation. Gurbani intertwines aspects of nirgun and sargun reality in Ikongkar-absolute truth/reality and gives full awakening of all aspects of Vahiguroo absolute reality.

Whilst other spiritual gnosis eventually points towards absolute truth as well. However, most often they point towards fragmented aspects of absolute truth may potentially cause dualism in seeker head, its not whole and direct like Gurbani.

Also most often we also see other traditions is obscured by many outside rituals which does not resonate or help one's inner expereince. Gurmat condemns those dogmatic perception surronding rituals/ rituals which ultimately does not resonate or help in one's help inner expereince or one spiritual development process which in return causes spiritual hindrances as one can gets easily caught up.

Here is good very profound commentary of gurbani mool mantar which resonates one way or another in one's expereince fully:

http://www.ikongkar.com/guru-nanakss-first-revelation-to-mankind/

Oh by the way, last time i checked 3ho is appproved by sri akaal takth sahib (highest temporal body of sikhs) and they consider them sikhs, and sikh mainstream media western voice- basic of sikhi in western mainstream diaspora consider them sikhs:

Here is how basic of sikhi beautifully puts it on very famous popular sikh questions and answers website:

http://ask.fm/basicsofsikhi

post-24251-0-61840700-1401411409_thumb.j