Being Sikh/punjabi

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hello everyone im in the united states marine corps and i am a punjabi and my religion sikh and there isn't a lot of us in the marines ha im making this topic cause im sad for punjabi's and also sikhs i say this cause im orginally from NY and theres alot of us there but what im saying to you i believe isnt what everyone thinks its just me so ill leave us and ours out of this. i have never been on this forum or even try to look for something like this but i want to see if there is anyone else that believes what i believe about what i have to say and i apologize before hand in what i have to say. I am ashamed not in everyone as punjabi and sikh im sorry i am i will explain as much as i can but i have had this on my chest for a long time and i am 21 now what i see in us i dont see singh "lion" i see us as weak and our identity challenged in every step we take by other color and cultures made fun of i stand up for what i am ever since 9/11 and i dont take kindly when my very being is insulted or my family i have also never taken singh as my last name i take my family name as my last cause thats important to me i take singh as my middle name just so yall know. but im here to say that when i see sikhs at our temples i see them know talking in english or broken english with punjabi and thats not a big deal but i was born here in america but i some how speak like im from the village i dont know why i just do haha but what im trying to say is that we have a very rich history but we are mistake as hindus or muslime and they dont teach anything really about us in school but when i see others make fun of us i know i said id keep us out of it but it cant be helped i see yall do nothing about it they take advantage no one stands up yes we practice peace but when our very image and the way we are is challenged we must stand up and yes FIGHT with your hands to protect our image not turn our heads we live in a different time and i do not want us to be looked down on at all and i see our people as weak and made fun of i cant take it i cant im sorry but we men call our self's lions then be a lion take pride in your name cause you represent your family and your culture I KNOW ALOT OF YOU WILL TAKE THIS AS OFFENCE BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND I WAS IN NY WHEN 9/11 HAPPENED AND SEEN WHAT HAPPENED TO US AFTER IT I GREW UP IN IT AND I DID NOT LET THEM MAKE ME WEAK I STOOD UP all i ask is im sad to see us like this i am ashamed its sad makes me very sad u cant comprehend how i feel for us i have alot more to say but i want to hear what yall have to say so i can go more into it

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh,

Veer ji ,

you had a lot on your mind ... well what I get from what you said is you are Navy guy, you are Punjabi and Sikh I'm guessing that Navy is not allowing for kesh and dastaar? You feel the Sikhs in your neighbourhood are not representing the image of a Singh but silent apologising for existing type people who cannot speak well for themselves. Since 9/11 you are all under scrutiny,attack and pressure as a community because of misidentity. What do you need exactly ? Yes Guru ji and his sikhs always said Sikhi kamouna auki aa but if we put our faith in Guru ji and become Guruwaley the Earth will lie at our feet...BHAROSA is the key, we need to action it in our lives to feel Guru ji hath on our matha.

If you want to learn more about Guru ji's advice, bani, our history go to 'basics of sikhi ' channel and 'sikh2inspire' to find out recent history 'rajoanaTV' ,

Hello everyone im in the united states marine corps and i am a punjabi and my religion sikh and there isn't a lot of us in the marines ha im making this topic cause im sad for punjabi's and also sikhs i say this cause im orginally from NY and theres alot of us there but what im saying to you i believe isnt what everyone thinks its just me so ill leave us and ours out of this. i have never been on this forum or even try to look for something like this but i want to see if there is anyone else that believes what i believe about what i have to say and i apologize before hand in what i have to say. I am ashamed not in everyone as punjabi and sikh im sorry i am i will explain as much as i can but i have had this on my chest for a long time and i am 21 now what i see in us i dont see singh "lion" i see us as weak and our identity challenged in every step we take by other color and cultures made fun of i stand up for what i am ever since 9/11 and i dont take kindly when my very being is insulted or my family i have also never taken singh as my last name i take my family name as my last cause thats important to me i take singh as my middle name just so yall know. but im here to say that when i see sikhs at our temples i see them know talking in english or broken english with punjabi and thats not a big deal but i was born here in america but i some how speak like im from the village i dont know why i just do haha but what im trying to say is that we have a very rich history but we are mistake as hindus or muslime and they dont teach anything really about us in school but when i see others make fun of us i know i said id keep us out of it but it cant be helped i see yall do nothing about it they take advantage no one stands up yes we practice peace but when our very image and the way we are is challenged we must stand up and yes FIGHT with your hands to protect our image not turn our heads we live in a different time and i do not want us to be looked down on at all and i see our people as weak and made fun of i cant take it i cant im sorry but we men call our self's lions then be a lion take pride in your name cause you represent your family and your culture I KNOW ALOT OF YOU WILL TAKE THIS AS OFFENCE BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND I WAS IN NY WHEN 9/11 HAPPENED AND SEEN WHAT HAPPENED TO US AFTER IT I GREW UP IN IT AND I DID NOT LET THEM MAKE ME WEAK I STOOD UP all i ask is im sad to see us like this i am ashamed its sad makes me very sad u cant comprehend how i feel for us i have alot more to say but i want to hear what yall have to say so i can go more into it

Have look at

"Guess who is about to become the first turbaned Sikh female in the Canadian Navy!??"

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/canada/42462-guess-who-about-become-first-turbaned.html

Guest Guest

im in the United States Marines yes department of the navy but not really navy. people are not being racist towards me in the military cause i have earned my right to be here im saying is people here mostly in NY i see are to afraid to call themselves sikh and let people take advantage of them of our kindness its not about me wearing a turban im saying is stop letting people walk over us and letting our names and our future kids be brought up to be a person to be walked over on but making them strong individual men and women and seeing other sikhs like that as role models i dont know maybe i phrased all this in the wrong way

im in the United States Marines yes department of the navy but not really navy. people are not being racist towards me in the military cause i have earned my right to be here im saying is people here mostly in NY i see are to afraid to call themselves sikh and let people take advantage of them of our kindness its not about me wearing a turban im saying is stop letting people walk over us and letting our names and our future kids be brought up to be a person to be walked over on but making them strong individual men and women and seeing other sikhs like that as role models i dont know maybe i phrased all this in the wrong way

Ok I understand a bit better you want a stronger community who are visible and recognised for the right reasons. You would like Sikhi from within to be strong. Are there any Gurudwaras doing parchaar or outreach programs to local communities?