Sign in to follow this  
Nalwa

Stolen Years: A Memoir Of Simranjit Singh Mann's Imprisonment

This book will be available by 11 sep 2014

Stolen Years: A Memoir of Simranjit Singh Mann's Imprisonment Hardcover – 11 Sep 2014 by Pavit Kaur

In 1984, Simranjit Singh Mann resigned from the Indian Police Service in protest of Operation Blue Star, the Indian Army operation ordered by Indira Gandhi, then prime minister, that cleared the Golden Temple complex of Sikh militants. Mann was subsequently charged, among other things, with conspiracy to assassinate Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. A passionate Sikh whose radical beliefs were honed by his family, Mann went underground and was apprehended while trying to flee the country. He spent five years in prison, after which all charges were dropped.

Three decades after Blue Star, his daughter Pavit Kaur looks back on the years her father spent in prison. In this disarmingly honest and emotionally charged account, Pavit Kaur documents her father’s hellish journey through the Indian prison system. This is also a personal story and the story of a family during one of the most fraught times in India's history.

‘A fascinating account of how Operation Blue Star turned life for a prosperous Sikh family into hell. The author, daughter of the controversial Sikh politician Simranjit Singh Mann, who spent five years in jail on a trumped-up charge of sedition, says, “Bhindranwale shared an ideology with my father: a separate homeland for the Sikhs”’—Satish Jacob, veteran journalist

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• This is one of the stupidest posts that I have seen on here. Sikhi is not restricted to one ethnic group. The privilege that you think you are entitled to, just because 150 years ago or whatever someone in your family was amritdhari, is disgusting.   At the end of the day, you have a haircut, so whatever you think or say is meaningless. Through your actions you have renounced the Sikh religion. You can identify as whatever you want, but at the the end  of the day, you are just another stupid Punjabi jatt (who makes me embarrassed to be jatt)
    • Retail or factory Online business
    • Cancer isn’t one single disease - there are lots of different types i doubt they will be able to cure it anyway .
    • A summary of the maharajas of Patiala. They have been traitors from the beginning, the founder of the state ala singh and his family were excommunicated by dal khalsa in the 18th century so i dont know why these people are still considered Sikhs. The founder ala singh assisted abduli during his invasions and was given the title of maharaja by abduli. he later helped the mughals and then betrayed abduli by siding with the marthas. During anglo sikh war the patiala state sided with the british and then during the early 20th century they were part of the british raj.  After the anglo sikh wars maharaja karam singh of patiala ordered his army to shoot nihung singhs on the spot.  Today amrinder is a congress leader.       This family is an enemy of the Khalsa and has always been, the very foundation of the family is linked to abduli    
    • delhi sikhs are idiots they are now asking sirsa to demand Chandni Chowk to shaheedi Chowk , I said to them the only reason people remember Chandi Chowk is through the Mahan Shahadat of gursikhs and Guru Sahib , they are too dense to realise that removing the name is also removing the marker of the history .

Important Information

Terms of Use