Sikh Man Refused Entrance To Nightclubs

nanosecond

Sikh Man Refused Entrance To Nightclubs

Managers Apparently Told Him To Remove Turban

POSTED: 10:49 a.m. EDT July 30, 2003

PITTSBURGH -- A man who practices the Sikh faith says two Pittsburgh nightclubs stopped him from entering because he was wearing a turban.

Harpeet Grewal says the refusals happened last year and last week at two nightclubs in Pittsburgh's Strip District.

Grewal says club managers told him that unless he removed his turban, he could not enter the establishment. Grewal says he tried to explain that his turban was an article of his faith and he could not remove it, but the managers wouldn't listen.

The 500-year-old Sikh faith is based in northern India. The faith requires men to keep their heads covered.

About 500,000 Sikhs live in the United States and about 100 families in the area worship at a Sikh temple in Monroeville

bhai sahib i know many cases where sikhs have not been allowed into night clubs.. its usually guru jee making sure his roop doesnt get wrong image..

sometimes ive heard of stories where these people then become amritdhari down the road. guru sahib was just watching out for them.

i hope no sikh org fights for this guy because that would be a big disgrace.

Waheguroo...Sangato..he was refused entrace to a STRIP DISTRICT CLUB!! This is pure disgrace, I'm so glad he had some 'kirpa' that he was denied entrace.

Sikh Man Refused Entrance To Strip District Club

Managers Tell Him To Remove Turban

POSTED: 10:49 a.m. EDT July 30, 2003

PITTSBURGH -- A man who practices the Sikh faith says a local nightclub stopped him from entering because he was wearing a turban.

Harpeet Grewal said the incident happened last week at Touch in the 1400 block of Smallman Street in Pittsburgh's Strip District.

Grewal said a manager told him he had to remove his turban. Grewal tried to explain that he could not remove the item because it is an article of his faith, but the manager wouldn't listen.

The Sikh faith is based in northern India and requires men to keep their heads covered.

Touch managers told Action News that Grewal was turned away as part of an even-handed dress code.

"Like golf courses, we have a policy," said a club spokeswoman. "No hat, no shoes, no shirt, no service ... Michael Jordan came in Friday and he had to take off his ball cap."

Giani Sucha Singh, religious leader of the Sikh temple in Monroeville, told WTAE's Chris Glorioso that nightclubs should be more sensitive because turbans are not a fashion statement.

"This is the essential part of our religion, to keep our hair uncut and unshowered. For them to compare that to baseball caps is just ridiculous," he said. "For a Sikh gentlemen to remove his turban is akin to someone else being forced to strip."

:D Oh man, I didn't read the Club Name in the original Post. but LOL, Chori Pakri Gayi :D

A similar incident happend in Guru Gobind Singh ji's Time. Some Singhs of Guru ji who always used to go to Guru ji, one day while going to see Guru ji, decided that it wouldn't be that bad to goto the house of prostitutes instead of Guru Gobind singh ji.

When they arrived at the door they saw this Scary Looking Peherdar ( Security Guard ) with a huge Stik in his hand. The Guard said to the singhs , You look like Guru Gobind singh ji's Singhz , You should not be coming here, So the singhz spent all night out side the house because the Guard wouldn't let them in. In the morning the singhs felt ashamed and went back to the Guru ji.

I think when they got to back to the Guru Gobind singh ji, Guru ji said "You made me stay up all night to save u from Hell"

I don't remember the exact Sakhi but the point is a Guru ka Sikh is not supposed to goto places like that so even if they do decide to go, Guru ji forgives them and finds some way of saving them from hell.

Guest mehtab

Bhai amardeep singh jee, that was the story of bhai joga singh...while he was in the middle of his marriage ceremony, some Singhs came and said that u have to come with us immediately as battle has breaken out between Singhs n mughals...so he left his marriage to join those Singhs...at night, he was oversome with pride, that i am the best Sikh of Gurujee, i gave up my marriage to come fight for Him...now when 1 vice comes to mind, it brings all the others with it...he was overcome with lust and went to a prostitute's house...but he didn't want any1 to see a Khalsa going to such a place...there was a watchman in the street who kept yelling "KEEP AWAKE"...or as we hear in India "JAAGDE RAHO"...and so bhai joga singh never got a chance to go any further, coz he didn't want Guru's bana to be disgraced coz of him...he left and when he reached Gurujee, he regretted his action...Guru Gobind Singh smiled and said that i was the watchman who saved u from destruction...

all i wanna say is : AISE GUR KO BAL BAL JAIYYE, AAP MUKAT MOHE TAARE