Potential Sikh Convert

Guest janedoe

Guest janedoe

I have a really strange situation that I want some feedback on. Ever since I've been a young girl (I'm a teenager now) I've been extremely spiritual, and over the past few years, I've been experimenting with different religions. After rejecting Christianity and Judaism, I found information on the Sikh faith, and instantly fell in love. I've been to one gurdwara service, and loved it. I'm certain that this is the right path for me, but at the same time, it's difficult to get information only off of the internet and from books. I have several extremely stupid questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. As a white girl in a small town, I really don't have many people to talk to about this, and I really am interested in becoming more involved with the Sikh faith.

1. How long are you supposed to meditate for (approximately)?

2. Does anyone know any resources for learning Punjabi (so I can understand the service better)?

3. What are the rules on modesty for women, if any?

4. What is the difference for a women between wearing a chunni/dupatta vs a turban?

5. Are there any versions of sri guru granth sahib available in English?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! I know these are probably really straightforward questions, but these are the major questions not yet answered by anyone Shukria!

Guest SinghAbb

WaheguruJiKaKhalsaWaheguruJiKiFateh

I hope I can answer some of your questions.

1. We are supposed to go learn the Gurmantr from the Punj Piare , through the Amrit Sanchar ceremony. At that point, Guru Granth Sahib Jee has taught us and given us the Gurmantr. We are supposed to put all of our efforts into always keeping meditation on that Gurmantr going. All the time. This can be hard, but if you're putting effort in, then it's all good. We set apart time for meditating on the Gurmantr only, instead of also doing daily activities, usually in the last quarter of the night (Amrit Vela). I think this is what you mean by meditation. The more the better, but there is no minimum requirement. Most Singhs that I know do at least an hour daily, but usually a lot more. We also meditate by reciting the Bani of our Gurus. When reading it, singing it, or listening to it, we have to keep our concentration on it. The minimum for this is reciting seven nitnem banis: Jap Ji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Tvaprasaad Swaeye, Choupaee Sahib, Anand Sahib (these five in the last quarter of the night), Rehras Sahib (evening), Sohila Sahib (before going to sleep). But we love God so of course the more the better!

2. To learn Punjabi I think the best resource is Basics of Sikhi youtube channel. But also try to find other Sikhs that speak punjabi, because some subtle parts of the language can be hard to learn properly without someone to actually teach you.

3. I am not too sure about rules, but this is what I have learned so far.

Humility is important for everything. (if you ever meet a Sikh that has accomplished some spirituality, you will be so surprised with the humility they can have). To be humble, we should not show off our bodies. Revealing clothes are discouraged because of this for both genders. Rules in Sikhi apply to both genders. Besides that, Guru Jee has given his Sikhs a uniform called Bana. We try as much as possible to wear it. It includes the turban, the 5 k's, and more etc. Just look up "sikh bana" in google. some nice photos there. Sikhi is a constant effort to follow all of it; it is rare to just be able to do all of it from day one. We are supposed to wear full Bana everyday, but some of us can't. But we do our best. To be humble in front of the Guru we must do everything we can to follow what he tells us to do, so we try to wear it all the time.

4. A turban is necessary for every Sikh, regardless of gender. Every historical source that tells Sikhs to tie turbans tells all Sikhs to tie it; there is no instruction for only one gender tying it. I have no idea why most people think that women don't have to, but somewhere, something went wrong and led to this widespread misconception. A turban is the blessing of the Guru, and he wouldn't hold something like that back from someone based on their gender.

5. If you go to searchgurbani.com and its preferences page, you can decide what you want. There are options for listening to audio, English translation, transliteration, and other translations too. I am sure there are other resources and websites too. Just look around, they are easy to find.

But there is something that needs to be understood. the English translation is a starting point and a very, very good starting point. However It can never even get to the status that the original holds. Gurbani is not simply a bunch of words with a message. It is purely God's form on earth. It is the Guru. Spiritual effects of reading Gurbani are not present in their full capabilities in the English version. The translations are good, but the original is the only one that has full effects. Also, there can be multiple things to learn from one line. So please, please, please learn Punjabi, then you will be able to see what Gurbani can give you completely. After learning Punjabi, all it takes is learning a few words that aren't used much in daily conversation and you will be able to understand bani without even using any translations. Also, translations can occasionally be wrong, so please learn Punjabi.

Also for your journey into Sikhi, there are some things that I think I should tell you. You may have noticed that there are some differences of opinion between Sikhs. These are small and insignificant. All of the Sikhs that actually put effort into following Sikhi in our history got along regardless of their differences in opinion. When I was learning more about Sikhi, I used to be very anxious about what to believe. You will probably go there too. Just remember that all you have to do is ask Guru Jee to help you. Then he will always hold onto your arm and in the end take you to what is right. So don't worry about if you are doing it right or not. Do your best according to what you can do and know to do. Also, some people, when they see some of the lifestyle choices of Sikhs, think things like, "Oh he's doing (insert a practice of sikh lifestyle here). He thinks he's so much better than me." Basically sometimes we end up thinking that someone following a Sikh lifestyle thing is considering himself as higher than us or looking down on us. That is not the case. Having been blessed enough to spend some time with Sikhs that really try to follow Sikhi, I have noticed that people think that these Sikhs are looking down on others, but since I know those Sikhs personally, I know that that is not the case at all. They are actually really humble. Finally, try to find other Sikhs (Sikhs that are actually trying to follow Sikhi from their heart with full effort). There is an abundance of Sikhs that do not try or make up their own rules about what Sikhi is telling us to do. These people are not lower than us or evil, they just have not been made to follow Sikhi yet by God so they do things that Sikhi does not support. That is fine, because their turn will come too. We should try to do what the Guru says, not what others say. Try to find Sikhs that actually try, then you will have "Sangat." Without Sangat it can be hard to follow Sikhi. They are your support group, mentors, buddies and helpers. They will help you. Sorry for this giant write up, I just think that these are some ideas that will help you. :lol2:

The ideal is that your mind is absorbed with the lord day and night, but there isn't any rule with a specific time. Everyone spiritually progresses at different rates.

2. Does anyone know any resources for learning Punjabi (so I can understand the service better)?

You can use this for learning the Gurmukhi script:
Here's a folder full of resources to learn Punjabi:

Someone else could answer this better than me.

4. What is the difference for a women between wearing a chunni/dupatta vs a turban?

The turban wearing woman is Khalsa and the other isn't.

Yes.

I have a really strange situation that I want some feedback on. Ever since I've been a young girl (I'm a teenager now) I've been extremely spiritual, and over the past few years, I've been experimenting with different religions. After rejecting Christianity and Judaism, I found information on the Sikh faith, and instantly fell in love. I've been to one gurdwara service, and loved it. I'm certain that this is the right path for me, but at the same time, it's difficult to get information only off of the internet and from books. I have several extremely stupid questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. As a white girl in a small town, I really don't have many people to talk to about this, and I really am interested in becoming more involved with the Sikh faith.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! I know these are probably really straightforward questions, but these are the major questions not yet answered by anyone Shukria!

Nitnem is the basic must for all Sikhs (Soldiers of the Khalsa Army). Literally, nit = daily/routinely; nem or nee-yum = protocol/responsibility/duty. It consists of early morning (wee hours) bathing + 5 prayers (Japji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Tav-parsaad Savaiye, Benti Chaupai and Anand Sahib — about 1 to 2 hours of sitting); sub 30 mins in the evening (Rehiraas Sahib); and finally one short prayer at the end of the day's battle/before going asleep (Kirtan Sohila). Amrit-vela (wee hours of the morning) attendance is pretty important. If you miss it, prayers still cannot be skipped. Except, they might be less effective for your mind. Amrit-vela (1 to 4am) and the evening 6 to 7pm are like the ideal seasons to sow the seeds of remembrance of Guru Sahib.

If your existing Nitnem (routine practice of meditation through Gurbani recitation) is successfully quenching your soul's thirst and if it makes you feel like you've won the battle before it begun for that day, you should look towards levelling up your game. Sangat (your company, the people you surround yourself with) plays an important role in this. Focus on the positives of others (while also being vigilant — pretty important. Ardaas, Chaupai Sahib and other protection seeking Banis help). Every day will be a new victory. There will be a fresh new bar every day.

"Basics of Sikhi" channel on YouTube has pretty good resources for this. Some interaction with Sangat at Gurudwaras might also be of help. Some Gurudwaras also run courses/tuition for children that you might be able to participate in.

Manners and modesty expectations are the same from either of the genders. Dressing modestly for Sikhs, I assume, means to avoid flaunting their youth in a lustful manner. On the other hand, with Nitnem, Simran and Guru Sahib's merciful blessings, you'll have a spiritually radiating presence which will attract others to seek your Sangat. Stay focussed.

Personal preference. Majority of Punjab's Amritdhari women don't wear turban either. Ingrained from centuries' of practice, perhaps. However, some like to express their willingness to change their outlook to Guru's liking against the odds of "what will people think?". The same goes for Sikh men, for whom it is relatively easier since it's an established practice among them. Beware of stereotypical responses to this one. There isn't a strict requirement unless you're talking about going into full scale seva in Guru Sahib's presence (multiple levels of meanings intended), which might be with a Chola and a Turban. Do as your Panj Piyares (ones who bestow you with Amrit) let you.

I believe this has been answered before. However, you should introduce yourself to Gurmukhi script, Punjabi language and literature, as well as other go through Katha (discourses) of Gurbani. Online English translations only go so far. Gurbani in its original form is way personal and soul quenching. To be very honest with you, for someone who hasn't been introduced to Gurbani at an early age (even if you're from Punjab) it is hard to get a grasp on what Gurbani says the first day or even getting started with reading the harder Banis. I suppose you're just one step behind (viz. knowing how to interpret the script — correct English "transliterations" might help). Repeated recitation (as part of the Nitnem) encourages you to rethink the meaning afresh every day. Getting acquaint with just one word a day is soul cleansing. If you have an iPhone, "Daily Hukamnama" app by SikhNet might also be of help.

All the best.