Are We Actually Making A Difference?

Big_Tera

With the help of sikhsangat (watching/reading/learning), we saw the dire need of community prachar or some sort of school system where we can give basic sikhi education to upcoming generation. Finally after going thru 10+years here, me and my close friends decided to take lease on a 3000 sqft building to run the community center for dharmic purposes. It wouldn't have been possible if sangat here didn't share their views on important issues. This is one small example.

Yep that is a good point. I suppose this forum is a good way for people to share ideas with each other and learn new things. I think as well as this we should also be more proactive in the community. but fair point and Its good to know it has helped with the community center that you leased out for the Punjabi classes.

I have seen many threads and posts on here that have been very good. Alot of points posters have made are very informative and accurate about Sikh issues.

Even though many make very good points and are very right in their posts and threads. Does all this actually make a difference in the real world?

I mean is anyone going to take notice of threads or posts on here.

You can make make thousands of great posts and threads but it will not make the slightest bit of difference. ie in how Gurdwaras are run or other Sikh related matters.

So what can Sikhs do in practical terms that will actually make a real difference on the street level.

Brilliant post Big T.

99% of what it is all about is what we are doing in our offline lives for Panth ki Jeet and Sarbat da Bhala.

The two most important aspects of us doing our bit for Sikhi are in relation to the time we personally devote to advance Sikhi offline in the real world and the physical money that we can commit, raise and earn to forward that agenda.

Forums are not the be all and end all but are a sideshow to learn from other Sikhs, to understand opposite points of views, to rally collectively at strategic times and oppose those viewpoints being pushed into the faith that we consider against Gurmat and contrary to the long term growth of Sikhi globally.

The most important issues we face as a Panth are the plague of drugs, alcohol, female infanticide, biraderi apartheid, cancer, illiteracy and poverty afflicting millions within the Panth in Punjab. Obviously there are other issues such as political prisoners not being released but these affect fewer Sikhs and whilst important we cannot ignore millions to prioritise on the few but maintain a commensurate balance (as our political prisoners also put the Panth first). Obviously we have Diaspora issues of many of the youth having no clue what Sikhi stands for and making negative lifestyle and marriage choices as a result.

Your meetup idea to network with other Sikhs is a good idea though I do believe a Gurdwara would have been a better venue.

One thing I would like to communicate to you that you can actively help push is that we as Diaspora must unify different Gurdwara's in the UK and put an end to idiotic matrimonial apartheid which is a silent cancer destroying our Panth. As our Hindutva opponents aim is to lure 5 million or so current Punjabi speaking Sikhs out of Sikhi into Balmiki and Dera Ballan apartheid mandirs so that Sikhs are left a minority in Punjab by the time of the 2021 census.

What we as youth in the West can do to tackle this vital issue head on is merge all Bhat Sangat, Ramgarhia, Ravidassia and other Gurdwara's so that we have 100% unified Sangat in every local area with greater Panthic Unity and accountability. We can get round Presidents by offering the Pradhan of each Gurdwara one of 5 joint presidency positions so that nobody feels slighted or marginalised. The spare Gurdwara buildings can be converted to commercial use in order to generate revenue for Sarbat da Bhala charitable causes and Sikhi parchar globally or community use or sold with all monies going towards addressing the drugs, illiteracy, poverty, cancer and infanticide issues in Punjab. We have to aggressively push this idea amongst the youth as only the youth are capable of bringing this change. We will never advance so long so we long as we have separate sangats divided on the grounds of biraderi de facto destroying everything Sikhi stands for. And if we don't manage to set the precedent for united Sangat Gurdwara's here in the West then the situation of praying for only one Gurdwara per pind will be dangerously delayed given the 6 years left till the census of Punjab in 2021 when our opponents want to see us made a minority.

As a footnote if we don't aggressively try to stamp out the associated matrimonial apartheid (which is even disgracefully given succour on so-called Sikh television stations and Gurdwara matrimonial lists) then it will be no wonder that Sikhi becomes irrelevant to more and more youth. Global parchar simply isn't possible to hundreds of millions of poor Indians and Africans when they see the rotten nature of how our community is currently mentally conditioned on such a basis in contrast to the unity and diversity of the Sikh Panth in 1699.