Caste System

randip singh

Hi veers,

I am really surprised at the complete and utter misunderstanding of Jatts in reference to caste. I am assuming that your definition of caste is something like:

"An organised social hierarchy based on occupation"

Jatts are an ethnic group or race, divided into clans which have existed before the times of the caste system, they belong to a group of invaders from Eastern Europe/Central Asia called the Scythians, tribal warriors who were the first people to tame the horse. Rajputs also belong to this group. Jatts settled in Punjab and surrounding areas like Pakistan, Haryana, UP and Rajasthan, you will not find them anywhere else. Most Jatts are Sikh whilst others are Muslim and Hindu.

Jatts have physical and mental characteristics like sharp facial features, build, skin tone, aggressive nature etc.

Jatts are fiercely independent people who have never accepted the caste system, go to the villages of Punjab and see the treatment of Brahmins (creators of the caste system) they are ridiculed and mocked.

Jatts have their own culture and traditions like Bhangra etc. Jatts only marry into other Jatt clans, e.g. Mann, Gill, Sidhu, Brar, Dhillon, some Jatt names are found in the west like Mann, Gilll, Hans, common lineage. Moonlighting of Jatt names is common, where a non-Jatt will adopt the Jatt clan name from the village they are from.

I'm not sure where this notion of Jatt = farmer came from! Other group’s farm but they don't become Jatts. Farming

is the traditional occupation of Jatts, but Jatts can be found in all fields.

So I am a Jatt Sikh, Jatt = race and Sikhi = religion, no contradiction.

Most Jatts I know are proud people and don't hate anybody, they are people with big hearts!

With regards to Sikhi and Jatts, just read a few Sikh history books.

WJKK WJKF

Guru Nanak didn't want us following the caste system so we shouldn't be following it. It doesn't matter what it is whether its a farmer or a group or a race and it says in the Guru Granth Saab that we are all equal. Most Jatts are not Sikhs they just brag about it more then any other caste and its different people from different backgrounds that gave up there caste to become a Sikh. :nihungsmile:

P.S If the admin is going to lock this topic then please give a reason :TH:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not again, what a ignorant reply.

Guru Nanak didn't want us following the caste system so we shouldn't be following it.
I don't follow any caste system, nor do Jatts.
It doesn't matter what it is whether its a farmer or a group or a race and it says in the Guru Granth Saab that we are all equal.

It does matter what a Jatt is, as lies cause the confusion in the first place. When did I say that we are not equal???

Most Jatts are not Sikhs they just brag about it more then any other caste

How dare you question Jatts loyalty to Sikhi, go pick up some history books, Jatts have been the backbone of the Sikhs whether you like it or not. Go look at the background of shaheeds that died during the 80's fighting for Khalistan.

Sorry to the other veers, I didn’t want to make a issue of dividing the shaheeds that died for Sikhi, but this post took the p***.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Wow was i surprised to hear u say that veerji. "Most Jatts are not Sikhs they just brag about it more then any other caste"!! I have to say that was very rude.

I was born and raised in Canada and dont know much about the caste system but my parents do believe in it and therefore i decided to do a little research into it. I also learned that the Jatts first started off as a race that migrated to punjab many hundreds of years ago. They were not known as "farmers". They were a race of warriors that travelled looking for a better area to live. Some of them settled in Punjab. Most of them did take up farming and as time went on Jatt's were associated with farming. Soon it was known as a separate caste. If u do look at Sikh history books you will find that many authors will refer to the Jatt race not caste.

However, that all said, once you become a Singh or Kaur, everything else is forgotten and you are known just as the Khalsa. Race and Religion.

Even if Jatt race was a caste, it is very rude to generalize and say that they just brag about being Sikh, but arn't. I come from a family who is a part of the Jatt race and I am very proud to say that I am a Sikh and so is most of my family. I wont forget my background but I know what I am now. I think anyone who becomes a Sikh will brag about it because its such an awesome thing. however, please be careful next time u say something like that.

Thanks

pul chuk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Lets get too the crux of the matter............. :nihungsmile:

1) STOP PLAYING WITH WORDS

Sikhism does not recognise division along caste, race, gender etc...................to use stupid arguments like "oh but I am a race and not a caste" does not wash..........

2) GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI SAYS...........

I numerous places that racial distinctions have no value for a Sikh...........

3) GURU GOBIND SINGH JI SAYS

Manas Ki jaat ekh paachano

Recognise the human race as one

If Guruji has said it then that is good enough for me.

4) Not one SIKH icon of repute jumped up and down about being a Jat, Tarkhan, Khatri or any other caste....................but they all made a point about being Sikhs...........

5) TAKE YOUR NONSENSE ELSEWHERE

If you find that the Sikh religion does not believe in your racism then please find a religion that believes in it.

6) OTHER RELIGIONS

I have yet too meet a Buddhist who describes himself as a Black-Buddist or English-Buddhist or a Christian who says I am and Anglo-Saxon-Christian or German-Christian............. ohmy.gif

...............only idiots unfortunately who claim to be sikhs would describe themselves as Khatri-Sikh, Jat-sikh, or Mazbhai-Sikh........... :wub:

7) GET OVER IT and GET LOST

We don't want racists polluting Sikhism with theuir caste/racial ........................so find somewhere else to post your nonsense.............I suggest www.BNP.org......... LOL.gif

ps read the part of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib below.........comprendey...... :e:

pps..........no one doubts that most shaheeds from sikhi came from jatt people....................but note that over 70% of Jatts in Pakistan and India are not Sikh..................they are either Muslim or Hindu...................NOT part of the Sikh Paanth..........

How dare you question Jatts loyalty to Sikhi, go pick up some history books, Jatts have been the backbone of the Sikhs
Lets see the Jatts "loyalty" --KPS gill , Kuldip brar , darabara singh , manjit singh calculta who killed sikhs with SS Ray,the founder of nirankaris, all corrupt so called" sikh "adminstration is jatt ,90% of people who cut hair, what backbone you talking about? keep fouting your jattism, No wonder punjab is drugged up. What a shame that we love the laws of Manu more than the shabd of guru.

Shaheeds never called themselves Jatts and they were also not jatts, read again.

Also read the Laws of Manu the he mentions Jatts.

LOL.gif

all muslims of pakistani punjab are jatts, all harayan is jatt,rajastha etc also calls jatt and are Hindus

Bhai Sahib your stance is very anti gurmat. Jatt is a word created by brahmins and expused by britishers to divide sikhs. If you wanna call yourself part of shudra it is your choice. Mor

eover when was last time you were in punjab, In lot of pinds especially Majha there is a lot divide between jatts and Sardars, Jatts drink, booze , ganja,charas, and do pot and Sardars and Jatts don't get along together.

I read guru sahib said

"jo sikh ki puche jaat oh nahi sikh mera add jugad"

I appeal to Modrators to stop people from using Castist ID's and disccusions of CASTE issues as this website would also become another "caste sangat" we want Sikh sangat here.

Some of the stuff ppl come out with on this topic is just stupid.. too much to list..

Hows about you all dont class ppl by their castes.. It used to be an issue, but y argue about things that guru ji tells us not to believe in.. Believe in the GURU and what they tell us.. DONT believe in the caste system.. and lets not start stupid egotistic debates saying my ****'s bigger than yours.. and im a so and so and proud to be..

People argue against caste and the people start saying and thinking that that person must be a low cast to argue.. Would you argue with the GURU?!?!?

So lets stop this petty cast discussions and as i have said in other topics.. concentrate our energies on paath, simran and gurbani.. things which will constructivly help us!!

gurfateh.

Not again, what a ignorant reply.

Guru Nanak didn't want us following the caste system so we shouldn't be following it.

Jatts is also a caste and some people think of it as there own religion. This is not an ignorant reply and it shouldn't bother you since you are a Sikh.

It doesn't matter what it is whether its a farmer or a group or a race and it says in the Guru Granth Saab that we are all equal.

It does matter what a Jatt is, as lies cause the confusion in the first place. When did I say that we are not equal???

You said you were a different race in the other thread so you are not exactly equal.

How dare you question Jatts loyalty to Sikhi, go pick up some history books, Jatts have been the backbone of the Sikhs whether you like it or not. Go look at the background of shaheeds that died during the 80's fighting for Khalistan.

Sorry to the other veers, I didn’t want to make a issue of dividing the shaheeds that died for Sikhi, but this post took the p***.

I do read books but they don't say jatt anywhere it just says Sikh. The shaheeds that died had Khalsa mostly in there names and died for Sikhi not Jatt. If you believe you are a different race then you are not

a Sikh because being a Sikh means to be equal and treating everyone the same not making up a type of race and thinking your different from others.

QUOTE (PunjabiPredator @ Nov 5 2004, 04:30 PM)

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Wow was i surprised to hear u say that veerji. "Most Jatts are not Sikhs they just brag about it more then any other caste"!! I have to say that was very rude.

I was born and raised in Canada and dont know much about the caste system but my parents do believe in it and therefore i decided to do a little research into it. I also learned that the Jatts first started off as a race that migrated to punjab many hundreds of years ago. They were not known as "farmers". They were a race of warriors that travelled looking for a better area to live. Some of them settled in Punjab. Most of them did take up farming and as time went on Jatt's were associated with farming. Soon it was known as a separate caste. If u do look at Sikh history books you will find that many authors will refer to the Jatt race not caste.

However, that all said, once you become a Singh or Kaur, everything else is forgotten and you are known just as the Khalsa. Race and Religion.

Even if Jatt race was a caste, it is very rude to generalize and say that they just brag about being Sikh, but arn't. I come from a family who is a part of the Jatt race and I am very proud to say that I am a Sikh and so is most of my family. I wont forget my background but I know what I am now. I think anyone who becomes a Sikh will brag about it because its such an awesome thing. however, please be careful next time u say something like that.

Thanks

pul chuk maaf

Waheg

uroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

My parents believe in it too but i don't i just follow my religion and treat everyone equal and i don't think anyone is special. Its not an awesome thing our Gurus wanted us to be equal and it says in our Guru Granth Saab that everyone is equal and we should respect that and not make a big deal out of something that existed a long time ago. We should all follow the Guru Granth Saab and not think about if we are from a special class or race or caste. :TH:

straigiht up, i'm from jatt hindu back ground...but thats what it is part of my hindu ancestory...

when my forefathers adopted sikhi as their way....they lost the meaning of jatt. but sadly even 2day my parents claim 2 be "proud jatts"

and mann jattt

jatts are not the back bone of sikhi

guru ji is the back bone of sikhi and gur-sikhs are the nerve endings