Should Kids Touch Parents Knees

Guest Wonderer

Guest Wonderer

Well I just wanted to know as I feel as generations go on we have lost a lot of good values have been diluted or lost.respect for parents ,grandparents etc has slowly decreased generally as a whole

It is not a ritual thing or anything but just as a mark of respect for what we do for our kids

I feel just like many things kids learn they don't know the real reasons and value to what they are learning until they are older so is it ok if I teach them now whilst they are young

Guest Jacfsing2

Well I just wanted to know as I feel as generations go on we have lost a lot of good values have been diluted or lost.respect for parents ,grandparents etc has slowly decreased generally as a whole

It is not a ritual thing or anything but just as a mark of respect for what we do for our kids

I feel just like many things kids learn they don't know the real reasons and value to what they are learning until they are older so is it ok if I teach them now whilst they are young

It's a cultural thing; however, don't force it on them, educate them why they do it so it doesn't become a blind ritual like many other things children do. Before you teach them to bow or touch people's feet teach them to respect the other individual as, Guru Sahib says:"

ਹਉ ਤ੝ਧ੝ ਆਖਾ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਾਇਆ ਤੂੰ ਸ੝ਣਿ ਸਿਖ ਹਮਾਰੀ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਚਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਪਰਾਈ ਝੂਠੀ ਲਾਇਤਬਾਰੀ ॥

Ha­o ṯuḝẖ ĝkẖĝ mėrī kĝ­i­ĝ ṯūʼn suṇ sikẖ hamĝrī. Ninḝĝ cẖinḝĝ karahi parĝ­ī jẖūṯẖī lĝ­iṯbĝrī.

I say to you, O my body: listen to my advice!

You slander, and then praise others; you indulge in lies and gossip." Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Ang 155)