How to deal with anti-sikhi dad?

Guest NeedAdvice

Guest NeedAdvice

Vjkkvjkf Sangat Ji,

So my dad is either confused or doesn't know the first clue about Sikhi. I am an amritdhari and sometimes he acts like I am emotionally blackmailing him? I have no idea what he means. I think it's because he has expectations of what he wants me to look like or be my personality like. I can't pretend to be something I am not but he does not understand at all. When I wear kurta pajama or a hazooria he gets mad LOL. Sometimes I would wear gurmukhi fastest with yellow keski and he would get mad. How do I make him understand that I can't change who I am.

Thanks

He probably sees you adhering to Sikhi tenets, and it's a painful reminder of what he wishes he could do if he had the desire and discipline to do so. You being you is triggering him, lol. You can't reason with irrationality, more so when it's paired with the stubbornness of certain Punjabi males of a particular mentality. Aside from going your own way, there's nothing you can really do aside from tough it out.

Inspiring Story of a Man who turned into a SIKH after connecting with Gurbani!

Hello, hello! This is my story. Last year, around same time, I was the person in the top left photo. Then something began to dawn on me, and the transformation began. The seed of Sikhi was planted in my heart, and the changes in my life began to happen both internally and externally. 

Of course, there was resistance when you stand out of the line, and follow your heart. I was born in a hindu family, but after connecting with Gurbani and Sikhi, I decided to follow my heart to follow the path of Sikhi. Why change my appearance? Because why leave the body behind when you are connected with your mind, and soul to Gurbani and Guru. The photo in the bottom right is how I look currently.

I love my transformation, and life has been wonderful since then!

Source - https://www.facebook.com/BaruSahibHP/photos/a.312356885474161.72764.294820193894497/1135145413195300/?type=3&theater

On 31 July 2016 at 5:28 AM, Guest NeedAdvice said:

Vjkkvjkf Sangat Ji,

So my dad is either confused or doesn't know the first clue about Sikhi. I am an amritdhari and sometimes he acts like I am emotionally blackmailing him? I have no idea what he means. I think it's because he has expectations of what he wants me to look like or be my personality like. I can't pretend to be something I am not but he does not understand at all. When I wear kurta pajama or a hazooria he gets mad LOL. Sometimes I would wear gurmukhi fastest with yellow keski and he would get mad. How do I make him understand that I can't change who I am.

Thanks

http://manvirsingh.blogspot.co.uk/2006/04/i-want-to-take-amrit-but-my-parents_11.html?m=1

Well stop going to parties, stop being a Punjabi Sikh be a Sikh yourself nothing else. Punjabi's  in India and in the West are so weird. Do Simran 24/7. Even when you are at work or on the toilet. This last part comes as a reminder from going way back in the late 70's. When Bhai Jiwan Singh was in Canada for the first time. Someone in the washroom wrote that you should do Simran while doing your feces. Someone with no education must have wrote That. Sorry folks when you do Simran and you are attached to it its in every breath you take every move you make. By the way God is watching you. What are you scared of from your old man. Guru Jee has given a mind of your own not attached to your old man. Problem with you people you can rebel against your folks if you want to marry someone of you own choice but are chicken if you want to rebel based on Sikhi.