Singh2017

Leather, Tabla of Goats Skin

VJKK VJKF

Sangat Ji, as Sikhs we are not kill animals and hurt others but why do we wear shoes of leather and have tablas made of goat skin being used in Gurudwaras today? Is this okay or paakhandi?

Vaheguru Ji.

• Like 2

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
12 minutes ago, TaksalDaSingh9771 said:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,  

such instruments were also made during puratan same (old times) such as the huge nagara drum used for battle 

VJKK VJKF

Yeah but isn't it wrong to use animal skin if we aren't supposed to kill animals??

Vaheguru Ji

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Singh2017 said:

VJKK VJKF

Yeah but isn't it wrong to use animal skin if we aren't supposed to kill animals??

Vaheguru Ji

We can't call maharaj wrong but nihang Singh's do jhatka as well. 

In the end, it is a very controversial issue 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TaksalDaSingh9771 said:

We can't call maharaj wrong but nihang Singh's do jhatka as well. 

In the end, it is a very controversial issue 

VJKK VJKF

Phaji, I didn't say Maharaj was wrong anywhere. I'm asking because I don't know if there is some reason behind it or if it's okay or not.

Vaheguru Ji.

• Like 2

ਨਰੂ ਮਰੈ ਨਰੁ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥ 
When a man dies, he is of no avail to any man. 

ਪਸੂ ਮਰੈ ਦਸ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੈ ॥੧॥ 
But when a beast dies, it serves ten purposes.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=870&g=1&h=0&r=0&t=2&p=0&k=0

• Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 4:15 PM, singhbj singh said:

ਨਰੂ ਮਰੈ ਨਰੁ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥ 
When a man dies, he is of no avail to any man. 

ਪਸੂ ਮਰੈ ਦਸ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੈ ॥੧॥ 
But when a beast dies, it serves ten purposes.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=870&g=1&h=0&r=0&t=2&p=0&k=0

VJKK VJKF

That is so deep, wow. My stomach flipped reading that and I don't even know why. We can't even begin to comprehend what that means and myself have no clue what that means but wow.

Vaheguru Ji.

• Like 1

If you want to do your own research and reading this question, plus much more fantastic well referenced and researched work has been carried out but some sewadars. If your on Facebook look up the Jhatka Maryada group page or check out their website www.jhatkamaryada.com .  They have already answered your question in one of their articles plus many other questions regarding this issue.

The outlook of this forum is pro vegi, anti meat , so there's no point having this discussion here they get upset and will lock te thread or delete the posts.... 

Edited by Cisco_Singh

Bhai Gurdas (1) has written about this in his writings he said

First the goat says me me.  Then he makes a sacrifice ie he kills himself then he is skinned and dried and then cut and put on the tabla drum and finally he is stretched and hit with a hammer.  Now the me me bleeting animal starts to say Tu Tu ( this is a tabla bol)

Sikhs are vegetarian - yes. There is never meat product/item in langar Hall. That one thing is very clear regardless of some people who don’t want to change their taste buds for sikhi. 

Chaur sahib originally made from YAK hair or from horse hairs. Tabla is also made from animal skin. We’re they killed to make these product? I would say no. When they passed/die then the skin product comes out of it.

34 minutes ago, singh598 said:

Bhai Gurdas (1) has written about this in his writings he said

First the goat says me me.  Then he makes a sacrifice ie he kills himself then he is skinned and dried and then cut and put on the tabla drum and finally he is stretched and hit with a hammer.  Now the me me bleeting animal starts to say Tu Tu ( this is a tabla bol)

Next time, please post proper tuk/stanza as this English translation belittle the actual meaning/concept of the Gurbani tukk.

You have different camps, some say Guru Sahib during their hunting excursions freed animals from the churasi. Others believe it was not only to hone skills and have the balls to deal with blood and death but as many historians write, consume game over open fires. Most carnivores will puke at the sight of gutting a carcass let alone veggies. Shooting from afar is one thing it cannot be compared to Jhatka at close quarter.

Regardless, meat issue is a waste of breath. Maryada perfectly tells us it is a 'non' issue, just don't touch halal.