Daughter is turning her back on Sikhi

Guest Maha Paapi

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, Guest Maha Paapi said:

We have tried to bring up our children in the right way. Encouraging them to read Paath, recite Mool Mantar, attend Gurudwara and so much more.

Over time my 13 year old  has become more and more distant from Sikhi. Refusing to read from Gutka, never doing Mool Mantar, saying she doesn’t want to go to the Gurudwara. 

We have never forced it upon her and have tried to calmly discuss this with her however she just seems to be getting worse. 

I can not explain how heartbroken I feel, I sit alone and reflect on my shortcomings as a parent and can not help but blame myself for being a bad parent. It’s so so sad to see, my one wish was that my children would love and respect the Guru. I tried to do it by example too.

Please, if anyone else has similar experience or can share any advice or guidance please reply. Thank you.

let her

Guest Mahaa Paapi

Thank you so much to everyone who took time and effort to respond. Some great advice and I will try to implement what I can. 

It’s crazy how one day your kids wait for you to come home from work and are so excited to see you. Now I am lucky if I get any sort of acknowledgement. It’s like we are the enemy. 

The music she has begun to listen to (Drill / grime) is pure garbage. She’s 13 and the language, swearing in the songs is filthy. I’ve told her to switch it off whenever I’m around but I know she will continue to listen to it elsewhere when I’m not around.

There is a limit to how much control we can have, the more we try to stop her from things the more she rebel’s and does the opposite.

having a conversation with her is difficult, she is just not interested in talking.