Ancesstory Test

Big_Tera

1 hour ago, GuestSingh said:

mine are from south of jalandhar and heading east i.e. phagwara/goraya...not too far away at all almost 'next door'....

I think jhalandar had a massive paki population before partition, think things got very bloody. Jhalandar is mainly hindu today? Nawanshahr is mainly hindu today as well   I think doaba in general is a hindu region. 

Guest GuestSingh
13 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Yeah phagwara is not that far, think nawanashar was a part of jalandhar but then carves out and made into a district.

They renamed it shaheed bhagat singh nagar now because bhagat singhs ancestral pind is there. His pind is like 5 min car drive from my nanke. Iv been to his house it's a nice little old house made out of small bricks, his mother's charka and other family belongings are there.

Not to far from his pind is a museum dedicated to him. It has the bomb shell of the bomb that he used to blast the goreh, it has has ashes and other stuff.   

Gurdwara maachiwara is close to us as well   where guru ji slept on thorns and wrote the shabd mittar pyareh nu 

That's about it lol   nothing else in nawanshahr 

nice thanks for sharing.

mine is said to have been visited by guru arjan dev ji with a jatha of sikhs for marriage in a nearby village and when medidating under a tree - two gurdware stand today in memory where u can still see the kurta pyjama, mala and other gifts given to sangat as thanks for hospitaility plus a well from where they drank water....

9 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I think jhalandar had a massive paki population before partition, think things got very bloody. Jhalandar is mainly hindu today? Nawanshahr is mainly hindu today as well   I think doaba in general is a hindu region. 

never been unfortunately so dont know but sounds like it from what folk say...that would suggest hindi is now supposedly the main language there now?

some figures on sikh populations atm across panjab would be useful to know...

21 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

nice thanks for sharing.

mine is said to have been visited by guru arjan dev ji with a jatha of sikhs for marriage in a nearby village and when medidating under a tree - two gurdware stand today in memory where u can still see the kurta pyjama, mala and other gifts given to sangat as thanks for hospitaility plus a well from where they drank water....

never been unfortunately so dont know but sounds like it from what folk say...that would suggest hindi is now supposedly the main language there now?

some figures on sikh populations atm across panjab would be useful to know...

I think I have read about that, where guru arjan dev ji visited and gave some of his belongings. I think every area of punjab has been blessed by a visit by the gurus and has a historical gurdwara. 

Hoshiarpur isn't that far from nawanshahr and they have gurdwara harian belan  where guru har rai ji visited   though I have never been.

Yeah our area doaba is mainly hindu, even the pinds have very big hindu populations   many pinds are predominately hindu. My dad's pind is mainly sikh jatt while my mum's pind is majority chamar and other dalits communities.

Before partition doaba especially jalandar had a massive paki population but they were all driven out , which is good. A few pinds near my dad's pind are mainly muslim pinds. 

My dad's chacha was telling my about the violence he saw. He told me he remembers raped muslim girls hiding in the fields and muslim caravans being set on fire while they were trying to leave.  But it's good they left 

But I think doaba always has been a hindu area with a large paki population which left during the partition    sikhs always been a small %

Amritsar, gurdaspur and tarntaran are the real sikh strong holds I think 

Guest GuestSingh
On 2/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, puzzled said:

I think I have read about that, where guru arjan dev ji visited and gave some of his belongings. I think every area of punjab has been blessed by a visit by the gurus and has a historical gurdwara. 

Hoshiarpur isn't that far from nawanshahr and they have gurdwara harian belan  where guru har rai ji visited   though I have never been.

Yeah our area doaba is mainly hindu, even the pinds have very big hindu populations   many pinds are predominately hindu. My dad's pind is mainly sikh jatt while my mum's pind is majority chamar and other dalits communities.

Before partition doaba especially jalandar had a massive paki population but they were all driven out , which is good. A few pinds near my dad's pind are mainly muslim pinds. 

My dad's chacha was telling my about the violence he saw. He told me he remembers raped muslim girls hiding in the fields and muslim caravans being set on fire while they were trying to leave.  But it's good they left 

But I think doaba always has been a hindu area with a large paki population which left during the partition    sikhs always been a small %

Amritsar, gurdaspur and tarntaran are the real sikh strong holds I think 

seems so..thats also the majha region - https://data.ensaaf.org/ shows most kidnappings/murders during the struggle/movement were from there.

but some malwai might argue otherwise...read somewhere that moga once had the highest population of sikhs across panjab...and just checking the 2011 census it shows just over 50% were sikh - https://www.census2011.co.in/census/city/12-moga.html

doaba does seem to have always been hindu - might explain why so many of our folk still know and keep so many of their rituals...but here's some interesting/detailed discussion on it and its dialect starting on this page - 

this is a nice read too - 

and re: historical visits by guruji another is of one of my nanke pind in goraya - as mentioned in the thread above, the names said to have come from when guru hargobind ji was passing and people started shouting 'guru aaya, guru aaya'....but for some reason the gurmukhi spelling is with a horaa and not a aunkar...so it sounds like it was named after celebrating the arrival of whitey instead....

Guest GuestSingh
On 2/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, puzzled said:

Yesterday i filled in a application for my ancestry test   did it with 23andme   

when will u find out? how long does it take? cost?

8 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

I presume it will say something like south asian indian. I dont think they will break it up in terms of what region of india. 

yeah it just says south asian but you can use a GEDmatch to break it down to particular regions of south asia

south asia is very vague as they group afghanistan,pakistan,india, bangla,srilanka, etc  all in one massive group   which is stupid