read this before December 31st (i.e. read it now!)

SaadhRayn Kaur

veerjeee, I agree with the whole concept of charity but there's limit on it. Regarding vanjaray sikhs, they are in that condition since several decades, it's their lifestyle and they choose it. Charity is good but too much of it will make them lazy.

In my personal belief i think charity should only come for disaster like earthquake, civil war and so on. Normal Charities are good only for institutions like Pingalwara (which majority of sikhs of Amritsar city donates to them weekly/yearly).

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

and not only freedom fighters but VANJAREY SIKHS in South India, need our support as well

True - Charity dOES BEGIN FORM HOME

In my personal belief i think charity should only come for disaster like earthquake, civil war and so on. Normal Charities are good only for institutions like Pingalwara (which majority of sikhs of Amritsar city donates to them weekly/yearly).

Both worthy and excellent points raised!

These vanjaaray Sikhs have A LOT of piaar for Sikhi, but unfortunately- at no fault of their own, no-one has ever told them about rehat etc..which based on strong bharosa, vishvaas, sense of gareebee and willingness, they tend to readily accept....(I personally know some Singhs who have done sewa for this cause as part of the British Sikh Council.)

...which is more than I can say for the rest of us sitting comfortably whilst being reached out at from behind computer screens!

Khalsa helps everybody with open arms and the spirit of Bhai Kanneia ji...

>If Sikhi can be brought to them, even better - as it will improve their quality of life, not with the target to 'convert them (as some may argue the Christian Red Cross dowith their missionary groups)...

victims should be ENABLED...

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Guys think of it this way, if u were standing before guru ji, would you be able to say that i'm not going to give this money to these victims because they are not sikhs?

Punjab does need a lot of funding, but the truth is that most people aren't willing to give money for that cause, the only ones who do are those that know of the reality and are educated on the issues. If we want people to donate for these children then first we must continue to educate them as to why they should help etc.

Given the coverage and knowledge of the asian crisis people are 100% aware of the problems, and hence more willing to part with money, same as when the earthquakes happened in india a few years ago.

We have two choices, either we only collect for the children of punjab and start 'charity at home' and raise small amounts of money. and do nothing else.

Or, we also collect money now for these tsunami victims, who do desperately need the money else they WILL die! And then using the techniques and methods which we develop now, continue to raise funds for other causes including punjab. Once people become aware that its the duty of a sikh to help the needy, then we will get more support for the children of martyrs. At present our community seems to have lost the institution of daswand, if we can use this crisis as a stepping stone from which to

re-ignite peoples belief in daswand, then it can only be a good thing.

Ps some guys i know have decided to organise a car wash at their gurdwara next sunday, as the cars park up in the car park, they will offer to wash the vehicles for £5. Maybe something youth in other gurdwara's can try.

And ... this idea

amongst others can also be used in the future in exactly the same way to raise funds for opening schools, hospitals, childrens home etc in punjab and else where.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh....

U can even go to ur local bank and make donations.. i know this 'cause i work at Scotiabank... u can make a donation at any of the branches.. i'm not completely sure about other banks (i.e. td, cibc, bmo) but i'm pretty sure they have a donations system set up .. so if nebody goin to the mall or anywhere where there's a bank ... make sure to drop some funds into the relief fund account..

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!